Southern Class N

spikey

What's the difference between N class of 32-160/32-166 vintage and the current production 32-165? What difference in running quality would I notice between the two? I'm on DC, and am particularly keen on slow and scale speed running.

• RMweb Premium

32-160 was one of the earlier releases and is therefore fitted with the older split chassis and a DCC decoder has to be hard wired. The chassis runs fine on DC but not as well as the new one.

32-165 and 32-166 have the newer chassis and motor, which is DCC Ready for a 6-pin decoder. Other than livery, the difference between the two models is that 32-165 has the tender with sloped raves (as fitted to the Schools class), whereas 32-166 has the more common straight sided tender.

32-160 was one of the earlier releases and is therefore fitted with the older split chassis and a DCC decoder has to be hard wired. The chassis runs fine on DC but not as well as the new one.

32-165 and 32-166 have the newer chassis and motor, which is DCC Ready for a 6-pin decoder. Other than livery, the difference between the two models is that 32-165 has the tender with sloped raves (as fitted to the Schools class), whereas 32-166 has the more common straight sided tender.

FWIW - the original chassis was never split drive. I think both are largely the same except motor and 6pin plug. IMHO both run as well as each other, unless you don't use it for years and the grease gets a bit lumpy.

DCC sound fitting still requires a lot of work though and would need hard wiring unless you find a very small sound chip.

OK ... so now I have one for 32-160/166 being split chassis, one against. Anybody care to add a third opinion? I'll gladly take a majority verdict :)

PS Ease of chip fitting is irrelevant to me. I'm on DC ...

Edited by spikey

OK ... so now I have one for 32-160/166 being split chassis, one against. Anybody care to add a third opinion? I'll gladly take a majority verdict :)

PS Ease of chip fitting is irrelevant to me. I'm on DC ...

The Bachmann N 2-6-0 was introduced as a "Blue Riband" model and  has a modern chassis (NOT SPLIT CHASSIS)

I have an early model (not DCC ready) but I've fitted a decoder (Hornby r8249) easily in the firebox. It's now available in DCC ready guise.

Lovely loco.

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents. So SR green running number 1406 with slope-sided tender, product code 32-160, labelled "Blue Riband" on the box should not be rot-prone and shouold not be split chassis.

Correct?

Yup.

To recap NONE of the N class have a split chasis!

However because they were designed back in 1994 there is no provision for DCC on most models and you will probably have to start hacking away at the chassis block to make room or install it in the tender adding link wires as required.

The Mazzak issue was restricted to a crumbling footplate (which is metal) and not the chassis. Plus it only affected a single BR liveried release and was not a widespread issue like some of the more recent scares.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Yup.

To recap NONE of the N class have a split chasis!

However because they were designed back in 1994 there is no provision for DCC on most models and you will probably have to start hacking away at the chassis block to make room or install it in the tender adding link wires as required.

The Mazzak issue was restricted to a crumbling footplate (which is metal) and not the chassis. Plus it only affected a single BR liveried release and was not a widespread issue like some of the more recent scares.

• RMweb Gold

No hacking needed. One of the easier dcc conversions to do.

Agreed, the N class was one of the first hard-wired decoder installations I attempted and it wasn't difficult.

Great models, in my opinion, still holding up well today.

Well, my "as-new 32-160 N Class no 1406 with slope-sided tender" arrived this morning, and to say I'm well pleased with it is something of an understatement. Beautiful model, and to my delight, a far better runner than I was expecting.

Thanks once again to you guys who cleared up my chassis confusion.

Edited by spikey

• RMweb Premium

Does a 32-153A have the amended tender chassis to stop the derailments?

Sort of.

No real changes were made to the tender - I think some minor alteration was made to the tender wheels and a bit more weight added which aledgadly cured the problem.

• RMweb Premium

Does a 32-153A have the amended tender chassis to stop the derailments?

Sort of.

No real changes were made to the tender - I think some minor alteration was made to the tender wheels and a bit more weight added which aledgadly cured the problem.

I run the straight sided tender from first release 31860 with a much newer version (31869) that came with sloped raves and I can't tell the difference in terms of running quality.

Edited by brushman47544

And FWIW the tender of my secondhand pre-owned 32-160 which arrived earlier today seems to be incapable of misbehaving however hard I try to induce it to do so, despite it having the apparently-problematic strange loco-to-tender coupling.

Edited by spikey