An educational display on signalling (Was 'Westinghouse 'L' Type Miniature Lever Frames')

EDIT 08/10/2018 - Thread Title Changed to reflect new subject.

The original query regarding Westinghouse frames is no longer relevant, I don't think, to the project but I may require assistance anyway.

I'm afraid that I cannot offer many details regarding the project, but in short it involves the development of a piece of physical educational apparatus to explain the basic principles of signalling on a single line railway to a younger audience. Different, I know, but further posts from No.27 onward will hopefully make my ideas a bit clearer.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137726-an-educational-display-on-signalling-was-westinghouse-l-type-miniature-lever-frames/page-2&do=findComment&comment=3324481

Hello to all -

So, some of you may know me as a primarily pre-grouping modeller and as such may be surprised to see my username alongside such a modern piece of equipment as the Westinghouse type 'L' frame!

It's all to do with a semi-personal project -in 12"/foot scale- which is set to possibly require either the creation of replica type-L parts or the purchase of an original type-L frame! 

Basically, if I've confused anyone with my waffle thus far, this is what I'm talking about, although whatever I do will be smaller, much smaller:

Everglades_interior.jpg

(Image from Wikipedia - I believe it shows one of the Great Cockrow Railway's frames?)

The project I'm intending to start work on will probably involve two frames, each up to probably about ten levers but certainly no more, most likely less:

Westinghouse_frame_Mitchstead_frame.jpg

So, to actually get to the point - does anyone have any idea from whence I may possibly be able to source a Westinghouse frame, or perhaps even just parts of one?

A strange post, I admit!

Edited by sem34090

• RMweb Gold

Strange you should mention the L frames as I discovered a website dedicated to them last night.

http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/index.htm

At a guess it might be worth contacting the Bluebell Railway as they have fairly recently installed a L Frame at Kingscote.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hello to all -

So, some of you may know me as a primarily pre-grouping modeller and as such may be surprised to see my username alongside such a modern piece of equipment as the Westinghouse type 'L' frame!

It's all to do with a semi-personal project -in 12"/foot scale- which is set to possibly require either the creation of replica type-L parts or the purchase of an original type-L frame! 

Basically, if I've confused anyone with my waffle thus far, this is what I'm talking about, although whatever I do will be smaller, much smaller:

(Image from Wikipedia - I believe it shows one of the Great Cockrow Railway's frames?)

The project I'm intending to start work on will probably involve two frames, each up to probably about ten levers but certainly no more, most likely less:

So, to actually get to the point - does anyone have any idea from whence I may possibly be able to source a Westinghouse frame, or perhaps even just parts of one?

A strange post, I admit!

If you are seriously interested in L type frames or parts thereof I might be able to put you in touch with the man must likely to have, or be able to source, that which you seek.  It won't be for a week or three as my son won't be working Everglades this coming weekend as he's away and therefore won't be seeing our contact but give me a nudge in a week's time and I will see what can be set in motion.  Nice frame but don't forget that the L style is all electric.

http://www.cockcrow.co.uk/page11.html

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Or have a chat with LNER-GE of the parish, he has one in his garden, and its a beast! The frames are huge, and seriously heavy too. Nice to operate mind, but can have some interesting faults!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To put you off even more, heres LNER-GE's Ely Dock Junction frame's page on the Westinghouse website, so you can see what goes into one. http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Ely_Dock_Junction_L_Frame.html#

Note that everything is big and heavy, and makes Metro-vick colourlight signal heads look flimsy (and the Metrovick hernias in four-aspect form are almost as heavy as an BMC A series engine!)

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To put you off even more, heres LNER-GE's Ely Dock Junction frame's page on the Westinghouse website, so you can see what goes into one. http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Ely_Dock_Junction_L_Frame.html#

Note that everything is big and heavy, and makes Metro-vick colourlight signal heads look flimsy (and the Metrovick hernias in four-aspect form are almost as heavy as an BMC A series engine!)

Andy G

Very nice, a true labour of love.  More woking levers than Everglades but perhaps not as busy - Everglades is laid out for working by two Signalmen and it really needs two on a normal running day although I have worked it single-handed on a fun day when booked service working was definitely not in mind (fortunately ;) ).

There is also a small L frame in use at Old Oak on the Spinney Railway although that line is not open to the public.  i've only worked Bay Tree and Spinney 'boxes on that railway and they are very definitely not L frames!

http://www.spinneylightrailway.co.uk/oldoak.html

• Like 1

The Westinghouse L frame is a truly magnificent piece of kit. Fun to restore, make work and play with. I have a one section spare consisting of the front circuit controller assembly, the bed casting to hold the electric locks, enough electric locks to be useful and a section of indicator fascia. It would be a real labour of love to make it work but it can be done.

Oh and six lever pairs too. It would take a substantial offer for me to part with it though. All other parts i had went to the Bluebell project.

Edit to add.. Mark's site is a bit out of date. Soham is now included in my plaything at home with key token working to Ely Dock and Tyer's GE one wire to Chippenham Junction.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 3

Ironically, many years ago now I looked at buying a small part of an 'L' frame to use as a 'demonstrator', possibly in conjunction with a small model railway. A practical examination of one close-up soon convinced me that the size, weight and complexity of it was a hopeless idea with my limited resources - but don't let that put you off :-)

• Like 2