Post 5 - Layout Background & Setting

Post 33 - Derby station today

Post 36 - Insight into how the control and computer control will work

Related Thread: East Midlands Passenger & Freight in the mid-1980s

Layout Plans and Trackwork

Post 15 - Track Plans for Depot, Yard and Flyover

Post 42 - Track plan for Derby and layout 'levels'

Rolling Stock

56016 - Dapol Class 56 - Railfreight Coal - See Post 9.

56088 - Dapol Class 56 - Large Logo Blue (To be repainted)

56091 - Dapol Class 56 - Railfreight Coal (To be renumbered)

58042 - Dapol Class 58 - Ralifreight Coal - See Post 42.

Edited by Richie Kynaston
  • Like 1

Hello everyone,

As those that have read my query about trackwork on here, will know, I've been trying to decide between N gauge and OO gauge for a layout for a while. I am relatively new back to model railways, having not actually had any layout for around 20 years.  I decided it was way too long and that I needed hobby!  Hence I've spent the past six months planning what to do, reading both rmWeb and the N Gauge Forum for ideas and insights into the modern practices.  I've finally decided to go down the N gauge route, hence this topic. In all fairness, I also have a topic for the layout running on the N Gauge Forum if anyone wants to take a look, but I'll be keeping both up to date, as I value the opinions of everyone on both forums.  

East Midlands Coal is the name of the layout, which is loft based, and aims to recreate an idea of what linesiding in the East Midlands was like ini the mid-late 1980s.  I am fortunate in having a fairly large wide open loft, approximately 15ft x 13ft to use and other than two horizontal beams, no rafters to get in the way.  So while I am hoping the end layout will be fairly expansive, with no rolling stock at all at present (I've just acquired my first loco) I am going to take a phased approach so that I am not only learning the different aspects, but also to build up the locos and rolling stock.  Phase 1 is the Depot, allowing me to get to grips with trackwork and the like, then Phase 2 will be the fiddle yard and main lines, Phase 3 will likely be the station and Phase 4 the Yard area.  I am thinking that by splitting it down it should all be achievable in small chunks - both for incentive and cost.  As you can tell this isn't a "six-months and I am sorted" layout, but something where I can spend time on it, modelling different areas and running.  It will be DCC, with a small amount of automated control hopefully to help recreate the realistic operation of the railway network.

The Depot will be alongside the Yard at one end.  While Toton was way to big to look at replicating, I was thinking something similar to Doncaster Carr (the old shed - not the modern IEP tin shed!) or Tinsley - the latter also made me think about raising the depot up a bit, aka Tinsley style.  The other thought for a track layout is something like Barrow Hill or Bristol Bath Road Depot.  Barrow Hill could work if I could come up with a way of making the roundhouse visible, but Bath Road is probably a bit more convenient and accommodating in terms of number of locos.

One aim is to make it as realistic as possible, longish flowing curves, 6ft long loops to accommodate coal trains with 28 or 29HAA wagons or similar, and not fast, but not really slow speeds.  My plan is to base the layout around the Derby/Toton area, with a bit of remapping of the railway to accommodate my plans - one of which I would like to create a flying junction, something similar to Cogload, near Taunton, or Battledown Flyover at Basingstoke. 

I am a big believe in one-step-at-time, but the whole of the scenic area has had to be planned out so that I know where the three entrances off the layout will descent to the fiddle yard level - this is a multi-level layout btw, to make the most of the visible space. As a result, the fiddle yards (Phase 2) need to go down before the yard, although in some respects that will be easier being Peco Code 55 points and metre-lengths, again acquired here and there as I go.  I have not sat and designed the fiddle yards yet, concentrating on making sure I could get the scenic parts to work together, but with coal trains dominating, the various Speedlink trips and trunk workings, loaded and empty Tubeliner Lackenby-Corby sets, a rake of RMC hoppers on a Bletchley-Peak Forest working, plus XC passenger sets, DMUs for Birmingham and Crewe (the latter via Uttoxeter) and MML / XC HST sets, I suspect the fiddle yards will be far bigger than the yard!  Shame it will all be hidden in some respects!

Despite all of this tho, while Class 31s, 37s, 47s and 60s will appear, together with perhaps the odd Class 25, 40 and 45, the dominant freight classes will be Class 20s, 56s and 58s.  Coal will still definitely be King on this layout, apologies to any environmentalists!!

I'll go in to the geography of where the railway is set, and how the layout will be laid out a bit on the next post, as well as giving an insight into my first loco purchase. A friend of mine, who has been a member on here for a long while suggested starting the thread with an contents post, so that it was easy for people to find things as the thread grew (hopefully!) over the months.

To those who are interested, welcome along  :)

Richard

• Like 3

if you start with a shed then you don't get to your long term aim of flowing trains.

Why not start with a large loop plus your passing loops and that has some point work in for later extensions like the yard and shed plus a partial fiddleyard, again with thoughts given to later expansion.

This way you can run the trains and use that as your basis and then add the extra elements as you build your stock.

if you start with a shed then you don't get to your long term aim of flowing trains.

Why not start with a large loop plus your passing loops and that has some point work in for later extensions like the yard and shed plus a partial fiddleyard, again with thoughts given to later expansion.

This way you can run the trains and use that as your basis and then add the extra elements as you build your stock.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. Yes I can see the logic of your thoughts, however as my hope is to use the fiNeTrax Code 40 system for the majority of the main lines to get a better 'look' to the trackwork, and having not built trackwork before, the shed will give me the ability to practice.  Also while I am aiming for long trains flowing through curves and the like, at the present (and with only just having taking the hobby up again) I only have one locomotive and no wagons!  So I concluded, that a depot scenario would mean that I get to practice building the trackwork, while I am building the loco fleet up. All is not lost however, as the two boards that I am going to build the depot on, will slot into the big layout, and become the depot at the back of the yard, so this work does not end up being wasted.  

The fiddle yard will use Code 55 trackwork from Peco so the likelihood is that once I know where the three entrance/exit routes from the layout will be, I can progress with laying the fiddle yards, which will be under the main layout, and as these will form a loop on their own, that will allow trains to be run once I have started building up the wagon fleet.

Cheers

Richard

Layout Setting and Background

I thought it might be a good idea to set the location of the layout and put into perspective how I've slightly re-written railway history to make it work.

The attached diagram shows the actual East Midlands Rail Network as it was in the 1980s - with the core routes, and core stations marked along with the various collieries and power stations.  There were two other power stations served by this area, Drakelow and Saffron Lane, both located south of Burton-on-Trent on the Burton to Coalville Line.  Some services also worked to Rugeley and Ironbridge Power Stations, although such workings were not common in the late 1980s.  The area circled in Orange is that portrayed by the layout.

post-31229-0-07434100-1537548485_thumb.jpg

On the right is map showing the previously circled area as it might have been had railway history followed my premise.  Instead of leaving Derby in a South Westerley direction towards Stenton Junction (as is) and Burton-on-Trent, I'm imagining that it headed south through the suburbs of Allenton and Chellaston. At Allenton there were a couple of recess sidings for coal sets, while at Chellaston (where there is a Speedlink yard) a flyover was built, to allow traffic heading west/south to Uttoxter, Burton-on-Trent and Willington to cross under the MML main that went east to Trent Junction.  

The existing Midland Counties Railway east from Derby was still built, with a junction on the Trent to Toton route, but is now primarily used by services to Nottingham and the Erewash Valley line through Toton.  All MML traffic from Derby leaves south, taking the flyover at Chellaston then across the River Trent (following the current freight only route to Sheet Stores Jn) to rejoin the current MML at Trent Junction.

In reality during the mid-1980s, Speedlink traffic was withdrawn from Toton Yard, with one of the Derby yards handling all local traffic, with trip workings to either Bescot or Tinsley.  I have imagined that such traffic was transferred to the yard at Chellaston, where trip freights operated to Bescot, Doncaster and Tinsley, as well as trunk services to Tees, Millerhill, March, Severn Tunnel Junction, Willesden and Warrington.  There was, therefore, a reasonable amount of Speedlink traffic about, in addition to the coal traffic, metals operations and other freight services.

The two flows that I do not know much about and need to do some research on are those from Avenue Coking Plant (wagon types, traction, destinations and frequency of operation - I am assuming HTO were popular there) and the aggregate flow from Wirksworth.
  • Like 3

1980s BR blue, I like the sound of that, and plenty of freight too!

You have set yourself quite a challenge there.

For a depot smaller than Toton, could you use one of the other local depots for inspiration.

Would a variation on Burton work, or imagine that a steam shed like Westhouses had been adapted for diesel?

cheers  

Thanks guys,

I am look forward to getting into this project - lots of plans, thoughts and features!  

Sounds an interesting plan
There’s Quite a few photos around of avenue sidings
https://flic.kr/p/FZhnhN
Traction Class 20’s ,56’s later 58’s
Wagons Looks like 16 tonners 21 tonners hto’s and huo’s I think

Brian

Brian, thanks for the link to that image, superb - a bit of a wander around Flickr produced a set of images all taken in 1986/1987, the majority around Clay Cross on the MML, by a chap called Michael McNicholas (sadly no longer with us) but scanned by Neil Harvey.  If your into that period, its well worth a look!  Looking at Flickr, I think 20s on HTOs, HUOs would still have been viable in 1986, and certainly 56s/58s on HAAs are.  We were talking over on the N Gauge Forum (NGF) thread about the number of HAAs this layout will required ... working on 28-29 per train (36 is just a little too long, even in N!) I am looking at needing to acquire around 340 of the little things!

1980s BR blue, I like the sound of that, and plenty of freight too!

You have set yourself quite a challenge there.

For a depot smaller than Toton, could you use one of the other local depots for inspiration.

Would a variation on Burton work, or imagine that a steam shed like Westhouses had been adapted for diesel?

cheers  

Cheers Kevin.  Heading to a Toy and Train Fair in a couple of weeks, so hoping that some initial trackwork and maybe the odd wagon or two can be picked up, to get things started!

Depot wise, yes thats a thought - I had wondered about Westhouses or possibly Hasland.  I quite fancy a version of Barrow Hill Roundhouse (to keep it East Midlands) but I need to come up with someway to give the roundhouse that dark inside atmosphere, while still be able to look in either with the Mk1 human eyeball, or perhaps some wide angle video camera could be an option. My fall back is looking more and more like Bath Road at Bristol, but with the brick cladding akin to the East Mids.  I spent some time watching the 'Bristol Bath Road - Round the Clock' DVD from Locomaster Profiles, ok it was filmed in the last weeks, but fascinating, but it did show what a compact site Bath Road was, but yet with plenty of stabling and servicing options, including a turntable.  While I am not planning any steam specials, I suppose the potential to turn the clock back at some point in the future, dictates that a turntable should feature somewhere on the layout.

Richard

Well the first locos have been acquired.  After looking at the 'Bargain Hunters' thread on here, I saw a comment about some N gauge items on the Dapol special offers page, so having perused it, I discovered they were selling standard DC fitted Railfreight Coal Class 56 locomotives at almost 50% of the RRP. So one was purchased, which arrived this last week.

post-31229-0-78619000-1537621069_thumb.jpg

post-31229-0-53467800-1537621075_thumb.jpg

post-31229-0-26503100-1537621081_thumb.jpg

Now I did have a green Grafar Class 20 and Parcels-liveried Grafar Class 47 about 25 years ago, but the detail on this model is nothing like those - far far improved, and im quite amazed at the level of detail that is now available in N gauge!  Even the depot plaque seems to be an etch stick on, rather than printed.  Having been given a length of concrete sleepered Peco track (which I think is code 80) by a friend, and the loan of an old Gaugemaster DC controller, said model took its first steps (or should that be wheel revolutions) yesterday. Again the slow speed control of it is amazing. I was also suitably impressed that Dapol included their magnetically-operated Kadee-Style couplings in the box.  One job will be to change the normal N style coupling to these, as I was planning to use the remote system anyway.

post-31229-0-14416500-1537621087_thumb.jpg

I am very very impressed, and pleased I made the move to N gauge!  Unfortunately, my wallet may not think so, as I seem to have purchased another two while they were going cheap! This one will stay as 56016, although I amm going to order some etched BR double arrows for the cab side from Shawplan.  Of the other two that are on order and yet to arrive, one will get stay in Trainload Coal, with etched arrows and I am going to order the 'Castle Donnington Power Station' nameplates from Shawplan, along with some numbers from Railtec, so that it becomes 56091.  The other model, im going to be somewhat brave with and have a go at repainting into BR Large Logo blue livery, again with Railtec transfers where necessary.  The planned example is 56088.  I may well be back with a number of questions about how people strip the paint off a model and how to go about masking and painting it.  A couple of friends bought me a small airgun and compressor for my birthday this year, so they may get their first real use!

Once that has been done, the next challenge will be to attempt fitting a Zimo chip to the first one for DCC sound - I have already decided to standardise on Zimo chips, as having heard them and sought advice from friends, I personally think the chips are better than the Loksound ones.  A good friend of mine is acquiring the necessary chip and speaker with one of Paul Chetter's sound projects on.  He will then give me a hand to fit it and show me what to do, and as long as that install goes ok, then the plan is to chip the other two before buying anything else!  Having said that, one aim is to start putting together the first rake of HAA wagons so I can do some gradient testing for the layout.

Richard

• Like 5

Hi richie some good modelling ideas and a great area to model i may be able to help with what went into and out of avenue sidings and coking works as i lived right across from there from 1984-2008 i was only 6 when we got there but me and dad spent many happy times watching 20s 47s 56s 58s and with HAA MGR going onto the plant and the odd train of HEA of coke coming off we even seen the odd Railtour on there .They had several small Shunters on there which pre MGR days used to break the trains into portion in avenue sidings and take them into the plant to unload but while i was watching trains there it was all MGR workings . i dont have loads of photos of there as film for my camera was used on unusual trainspotting places like crewe station  but i have a few somewhere i could post .

Edited by vulcan product fan

Hi richie some good modelling ideas and a great area to model i may be able to help with what went into and out of avenue sidings and coking works as i lived right across from there from 1984-2008 i was only 6 when we got there but me and dad spent many happy times watching 20s 47s 56s 58s and with HAA MGR going onto the plant and the odd train of HEA of coke coming off we even seen the odd Railtour on there .They had several small Shunters on there which pre MGR days used to break the trains into portion in avenue sidings and take them into the plant to unload but while i was watching trains there it was all MGR workings . i dont have loads of photos of there as film for my camera was used on unusual trainspotting places like crewe station  but i have a few somewhere i could post .

Hi,

Thanks for the input - always happy to see any info or pictures from the area, as it all helps to build up a picture of workings for when I put the timetable together.  Avenue Sidings and Coking Works are actually north of the layouts location, but again their workings came into the East Midlands area, so they my well appear at Chellaston to run-round before heading north!  Everything helps and somebody says!

The layout will primarily be 1986-1989, so BR blue and sectorisation with the ability for the odd 45 and first generation DMU to put in an appearance.  I still need to raid my Working Timetable collection but I am sure there are some from the Chesterfield/Toton/Derby area to go through.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25271wirksworth.jpg

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25294wirksworth.jpg

The 16 toners in the dust rock would have been sheeted over before departure.

Derby Sulzers had more photos of Wirksworth but they have disappeared.

Class 25's were not over common at Wirksworth it was mostly pairs of 20's but I have seen 20, 25, 31, 37, 45 and 47's in the late 70's and early 80's.

Edited by islander

Hi Richie, looks like some interesting ideas, and some good Loco classes as well.

All the best with the project.

Thanks Andy, much appreciated - especially coming from somebody with so much modelling background.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25271wirksworth.jpg

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25294wirksworth.jpg

The 16 toners in the dust rock would have been sheeted over before departure.

Derby Sulzers had more photos of Wirksworth but they have disappeared.

Class 25's were not over common at Wirksworth it was mostly pairs of 20's but I have seen 20, 25, 31, 37, 45 and 47's in the late 70's and early 80's.

Thats great, really useful, thank you.  I've not come across the site before, so will have a good wander throughout.

Richard

Evening all,

Thanks to everyone that has commented and shown an interest.  I am a bit astounded at the number of views the thread has had already, almost 500 in 18 hours!  Thank you.  

Evening all,

Well I think I've just about nailed down (hyperthetically!) the track plan for Chellaston TMD.  This will be Phase 1 of the layout, to practice a few different aspects of modelling, track laying, point building, making buildings and some scenic sections.  I went for Bath Road in the end as a basis for the track plan.

post-31229-0-08815300-1537662738_thumb.jpg

Despite best attempts, I had a go with both Westhouses and Barrow Hill and just couldn't get that busy depot atmosphere that I was after.  The above sits quite happy with me at the moment, although there are a couple of bits to tweak.  It is assumed that locos coming onto the depot off coal duties or yard arrivals would be serviced and fuelled, before stabling.  Heavy repairs can be carried out on roads 1-4 in the Heavy Maintenance Shed, while bogie changes and lifting operations would be undertaken in the Lifting Shop.   There are then 5 roads for stabling locos, each of which can hold a minimum of four locomotives.  With the ability to stable a further ten outside the Servicing Shed/Heavy Maintenance Shed, plus the spaces inside, I estimate that the depot has room for a minimum of around 40 locos.  While I am along way from that at the moment, potentially with the full layout operations, there is plenty of space.

I've talked a lot about the plans for the layout, and given a little hint on the screen grab, so I though it was also worth posting the yard trackplan.  This puts the depot's position (top left) into perspective against the yard.  Roads 1-4 will primarily be used for coal services either running-round, or awaiting their slot at the power station, or for general freights undertaking crew changes.  Roads 5-18 are sorting sidings, primarily shunted from the east end of the yard using the North & South Headshunts.    Road 19 is the Brake Van Kip, after the top crossover, but also acts as a transfer road for freights heading to/from the branch.  Freights that need to attach/detect traffic can arrive from either end of the yard into any road.

post-31229-0-00813900-1537662744_thumb.jpg

I've also mentioned I wanted a flyover/fly-under because it a) makes operations interesting and b) should provide some different photos.  This will be set among grassland and fields, with the railway on the Trent Junction side of the flyovers being on an embankment.  A broad triangular layout is provided with access for both main and slow lines to all three directions.  There is also access to the yard from all directions.  Allenton Lane Sidings can only access to Burton-on-Trent and Derby, and are primarily used for empties from Saffron Lane, Drakelow or Willington Power Stations, heading north, or loaded services to the same places heading south.  Anything for Castle Donnington or Ratcliffe can however use the Recess sidings adjacent to Chellaston Yard to run-round.

post-31229-0-72290500-1537662749_thumb.jpg

I am reasonably happy with the layout of Derby station which is on the third side of the layout, just a few tweaks to make here before I put the track plan up.  Its very straight at the moment, which of course the real Derby isn't, and I want to try and lose some of the straight lines.  But the general principal seems to be there.

Hopefully people can now understand how all this will (eventually) come together, but any questions, comments, or suggestions, please do voice them.  I have tried, where possible, to keep it as close to BR practice in terms of layout, but obviously some concessions have had to be made because of space.  

Richard
  • Like 5

WOW, How many Points is that lot? But it'll be very impressive.

Too many! Another reason for doing this steady and in phases. Impressive would be good, but I am aiming for operational competency, ie long as it works.

Not sure if I have mentioned this previously, but the aim is to use the new fiNetraX Code 40 trackwork on the scenic section, but there is a handful of curved points that I am not sure their turnout kits will work for. Not sure if anyone else has used this system, but have contacted them twice now with queries, with no response, unfortunately. I am told the N Gauge Society (or was it the 2mm Scale Society) do the various parts for handbuilding, so that may be the other option, but I shall stay with normal N gauge standards as I don’t want to go changing wheel sets about.

Bristol Bath Road was, I think, served by road tankers for fuel, as I couldn't see anywhere in any pictures for a rail unloading point - the fuelling lines were inside the servicing shed when it came to topping up loco fuel tanks!  However, Chellaston will still maintain its rail-borne deliveries, to provide another insight into an almost lost feature of rail freight, but also to allow a loco or the '08' pilot to trip TTA wagons between the shed and the yard.   I mention all of this as I've just noticed, that while planned, I have missed off the fuel delivery road, which should be to the left of the servicing shed!

Class 08 Query?

Talking about Class 08s, can anyone offer any advice? I notice the new current Graham Farish ones seem to have a different rod arrangement (more realistic) than earlier models, but that there is only DB Red, Railfreight Grey, NSE and Black liveries available.  Has a BR blue one been produced in this new style, and has anything else changed, that makes the new ones a better purchase than the old ones?

Richard

Bristol Bath Road was, I think, served by road tankers for fuel, as I couldn't see anywhere in any pictures for a rail unloading point - the fuelling lines were inside the servicing shed when it came to topping up loco fuel tanks!  However, Chellaston will still maintain its rail-borne deliveries, to provide another insight into an almost lost feature of rail freight, but also to allow a loco or the '08' pilot to trip TTA wagons between the shed and the yard.   I mention all of this as I've just noticed, that while planned, I have missed off the fuel delivery road, which should be to the left of the servicing shed!

Richard

Bath Road depot received fuel by rail throughout its life. Road access was non-existent when the diesel depot was rebuilt on the site of the steam shed.

Later a rudimentary road access was created off of the Bath Road, through the small staff car park and around a sharp bend to arrive at the rear of the depot near the turntable,

Edit - Originally fuel and stores were delivered each weekday by the 'Enparts' tripper, but later after the freight network had contracted 6V62 Fawley - Tavistock Junction called at Temple Meads three days a week to detach loaded fuel tanks, and attach dischaged empties,

Here is the 'Enparts' tripper in 1980

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rivercider/7913945624/in/photolist-d4k3jm-bkrceT-cRGAmu-bHtjjn-bGvTsk-bGvTrT/

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider

Bath Road depot received fuel by rail throughout its life. Road access was non-existent when the diesel depot was rebuilt on the site of the steam shed.

Later a rudimentary road access was created off of the Bath Road, through the small staff car park and around a sharp bend to arrive at the rear of the depot near the turntable,

Edit - Originally fuel and stores were delivered each weekday by the 'Enparts' tripper, but later after the freight network had contracted 6V62 Fawley - Tavistock Junction called at Temple Meads three days a week to detach loaded fuel tanks, and attach dischaged empties,

Here is the 'Enparts' tripper in 1980

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rivercider/7913945624/in/photolist-d4k3jm-bkrceT-cRGAmu-bHtjjn-bGvTsk-bGvTrT/

cheers 

Kevin,

Many thanks for that snippet - interesting to know.  Where was the discharge point in Bath Road then?  Any ideas?

Richard

Kevin,

Many thanks for that snippet - interesting to know.  Where was the discharge point in Bath Road then?  Any ideas?

Richard

I believe the fuel discharge siding was far left as seen from platform 12

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tibshelf/12852686695/in/photolist-m2GGEf-Htnw7D-Y9CLak-acR4qd-78dmys-kzKnYt-Hj2Fpc-d4k3jm-7xyDfm-9dqGh9-78mkPX-pBQ2GX-9vNcFi-bGMcBe-bp3Hw1-2D2W1e-fr5cCt-46MC2a-bbHVGx-bbHjpt-bbHcUk-bbJi1R-bbHPbF-bbHFVx-bbJaup-bbJhSR-474aPc-4ggWaB-4ggWgr-QYmoHv-22ELnjQ-Eg5Smz/

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

b]Class 08 Query?[/b]

Talking about Class 08s, can anyone offer any advice? I notice the new current Graham Farish ones seem to have a different rod arrangement (more realistic) than earlier models, but that there is only DB Red, Railfreight Grey, NSE and Black liveries available. Has a BR blue one been produced in this new style, and has anything else changed, that makes the new ones a better purchase than the old ones?

Richard

The 08 is a completely new model, nothing carried over from the old one. They've done a few in BR blue, worth keeping an eye on eBay perhaps. It's a nice little model, the initial trio had some slight running issues due to the pickups, but later ones (in my experience) don't have any running trouble. Not sure off hand the running number of the initial blue release, but the later ones would have a suffix to the product number (eg, B, C Etc) to denote they're from a second or third run of that livery, but with a revised running number

Jo

Thanks Kevin - I've missed that road on all the pictures I looked at.  Useful background detailing there.

The 08 is a completely new model, nothing carried over from the old one. They've done a few in BR blue, worth keeping an eye on eBay perhaps. It's a nice little model, the initial trio had some slight running issues due to the pickups, but later ones (in my experience) don't have any running trouble. Not sure off hand the running number of the initial blue release, but the later ones would have a suffix to the product number (eg, B, C Etc) to denote they're from a second or third run of that livery, but with a revised running number

Jo

Jo,

Many thanks for that, I'll search out what the catalogue numbers are and keep my eyes open.  Sounds like it makes sense to go for one of the newer models, rather than the older version.  The rods look better to :)

Cheers

Richard

Jo

Jo,

I posted a query on my 'East Midlands Coal' thread on the N Gauge Forum (see link if anyone wants to take a look - I am trying to keep them in sync where info bout the layout and rolling stock is concerned), and one chap on there came back and said the the BR Blue catalogue number was 371-015A. So, thanks to both of you (he also had the same view that it was a superb model) I can now have a search around.  As I commented on NGF, if nothing else, it may be a case of seeing if Railtec can do the diagonal black stripes, and I can do a repaint into BR blue.

What do people use for doing repaints btw?  I presume there must be something that will strip the existing paint and transfers off the bodyshell without damaging the details.  I've seen reference to car brake fluid and IPA, but  car mechanics and a brewery seem as unlikely as each other, or have I miss understood something?

Richard

• Like 1

Jo,

I posted a query on my 'East Midlands Coal' thread on the N Gauge Forum (see link if anyone wants to take a look - I am trying to keep them in sync where info bout the layout and rolling stock is concerned), and one chap on there came back and said the the BR Blue catalogue number was 371-015A. So, thanks to both of you (he also had the same view that it was a superb model) I can now have a search around.  As I commented on NGF, if nothing else, it may be a case of seeing if Railtec can do the diagonal black stripes, and I can do a repaint into BR blue.

What do people use for doing repaints btw?  I presume there must be something that will strip the existing paint and transfers off the bodyshell without damaging the details.  I've seen reference to car brake fluid and IPA, but  car mechanics and a brewery seem as unlikely as each other, or have I miss understood something?

Richard

break fluid is a good way to strip a body shell also brown dettol works well with a good rinse afterwoods once clean halfords grey primer is a good base for you paint job .

• RMweb Premium

I like IPA (obviously not Greene King) for stripping. Brake fluid (assuming people mean DOT 4 or 5.1) is pretty nasty stuff, I’d not be putting it all over my models, but I know a lot of people do.

Wasp stripes are definitely available as decals if you do end up spraying an 08.

Edited by njee20