Anybody got 47346 digital sound ?

rob D2

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

RE the above, is the sound any good ? And is it a reblowabke chip or not if so ?

I’d like a Dutch 47, but a bit of a shame it’s sound really...

I have it, found it no different to other my other sound 47404, though i’m D.C. only, so my sound is limited.

Best price I’ve seen is Derails £186, pretty good considering rrp of current non-sound releases.

http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_120&product_id=1269

If you didn’t want the chip / speaker you can always ebay them, to bring the purchase price down.

Edited by adb968008

Hi,

RE the above, is the sound any good ? And is it a reblowabke chip or not if so ?

I’d like a Dutch 47, but a bit of a shame it’s sound really...

Loksound SELECT fitted ex factory - so NOT reblowable....but as suggested above you could always sell the decoder/speaker..............

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

47001 was the last Bachmann 47 to feature a loksound v4

Not strictly true ken, Loksound selects can be re-blown with select project which you can download a fair array (only several of them British) from the ESU website, they are mostly american or continental. Still i would place the value at around 35 quid for a select from a 47.....the best factory select i have heard is the Bachmann 101.

The limitation of selects is that you are not able to create select sound projects in the public version of the lokprogrammer software.

Edited by pheaton

47001 was the last Bachmann 47 to feature a loksound v4

Not strictly true ken, Loksound selects can be re-blown with select project which you can download a fair array (only several of them British) from the ESU website, they are mostly american or continental. Still i would place the value at around 35 quid for a select from a 47.....the best factory select i have heard is the Bachmann 101.

The limitation of selects is that you are not able to create select sound projects in the public version of the lokprogrammer software.

Yep I'm aware of the ESU Select project sound files, I was referring to the main stream re-blowers of UK sounds -  like Bif /Howes / SWD etc

SELECTS can sell for more than £35, I sold one myself sometime back IIRC for around £70 odd.....

• 3 weeks later...

Selects retail at £110. Top of the range with more outputs. I will give you £70 happily.

Top of the range ? why then would DC kits offer an exchange service against a full fat Loksound V4  - Selects are mainly for the US market, and are cheaper to purchase than a Lok 4 - if not why did Bachmann also start fitting Selects instead of Loksound 4's - obviously to reduce the production costs of sound fitted locos.

Top of the range ? why then would DC kits offer an exchange service against a full fat Loksound V4 - Selects are mainly for the US market, and are cheaper to purchase than a Lok 4 - if not why did Bachmann also start fitting Selects instead of Loksound 4's - obviously to reduce the production costs of sound fitted locos.

Could you please send a link for these cheaper Select decoders that you can find?

Could you please send a link for these cheaper Select decoders that you can find?

Here's just one example....other options available...............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESU-73900-Loksound-Select-DCC-DC-Sound-Decoder-21-Pin-Plug-New/253451098606?epid=1524642167&hash=item3b02dcd9ee:g:vnIAAOSwk~FakvAQ:rk:1:pf:0

Not worth buying "blank" Selects as you can not load UK sound files from the main suppliers, only ESU library files and these are mainly for US type locos.  Therefore, if you purchase a Bachmann SELECT fitted sound loco, and your not happy with the sounds, your stuck with them.

Actually think the Bachmann 47 file is better quality than the howes 37 I also have , surprisingly

But the point is that you can get the Howes one re-blown. That option is not available with the Select decoder fitted by Bachmann.

As an example, I am sure there are many of Legomanbiffo's older v4 projects out there. Drivelock & braking have been introduced more recently, so these can be upgraded. This is also the reason I choose to avoid newer OEN-fitted Bachmann locos.

There may also be a reason that you want to move a decoder to a different loco altogether. This would not be possible if you cannot have the decoder re-blown.

I know the same limitations exist with Hornby's TTS, but these are significantly cheaper.

But the point is that you can get the Howes one re-blown. That option is not available with the Select decoder fitted by Bachmann.

As an example, I am sure there are many of Legomanbiffo's older v4 projects out there. Drivelock & braking have been introduced more recently, so these can be upgraded. This is also the reason I choose to avoid newer OEN-fitted Bachmann locos.

There may also be a reason that you want to move a decoder to a different loco altogether. This would not be possible if you cannot have the decoder re-blown.

I know the same limitations exist with Hornby's TTS, but these are significantly cheaper.

Yes,I get that, but I think It’s quite good so a relief there. Also as the 47 retails without sound for anywhere between £125 and£160, and I got mine on eBay sale for £179 with sound I do t think it’s bad value.

Here's just one example....other options available...............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESU-73900-Loksound-Select-DCC-DC-Sound-Decoder-21-Pin-Plug-New/253451098606?epid=1524642167&hash=item3b02dcd9ee:g:vnIAAOSwk~FakvAQ:rk:1:pf:0

Not worth buying "blank" Selects as you can not load UK sound files from the main suppliers, only ESU library files and these are mainly for US type locos.  Therefore, if you purchase a Bachmann SELECT fitted sound loco, and your not happy with the sounds, your stuck with them.

Which works out at £98 once VAT, postage and handling costs are paid. Not cheaper than V4's. Because ESU doesn't support the UK market with free downloads doesn't mean the select is inferior.

Which works out at £98 once VAT, postage and handling costs are paid. Not cheaper than V4's. Because ESU doesn't support the UK market with free downloads doesn't mean the select is inferior.

The Select is indeed vastly inferior...it cannot be reblown with alternative and better quality sound projects.