Anybody got 47346 digital sound ?

rob D2

Only vastly inferior for what you want to do but technical facts have yet to be provided.

Not just me, 100% of my customers, and 100% of trade contacts. And technically they are indeed vastly inferior...the fact that the stock ESU sound projects lag so far behind in technical capability and sound quality compared to the market leading experts who continually improve and upgrqde their files prove that. As always in life we are always different. As long as one is happy with the product that's all that matters.

Not just me, 100% of my customers, and 100% of trade contacts. And technically they are indeed vastly inferior...the fact that the stock ESU sound projects lag so far behind in technical capability and sound quality compared to the market leading experts who continually improve and upgrqde their files prove that. As always in life we are always different. As long as one is happy with the product that's all that matters.

The more recent ESU Loksound free download American soundfiles for Select and V4 are the very thing that brought the full throttle/ throttle hold feature to market long before any UK soundfiles. If you find the £70 Selects PM me. Thanks

Having looked at the manuals for the LokSound v4 & Select side by side, I have to disagree that the Select is technically vastly inferior to the standard v4:

CVs can be adjusted with a Lokprogrammer (so presumably they can both be reblown too).

Advanced consisting is supported

Sound memory is 32MBits

Both have 8 sound channels

Both can provide the same amount of current

Both mention back EMF for synchronising steam exhaust chuffs.

The difference to UK modellers is that there are no suitable alternative sound projects available...yet. This is not a technical deficiency, but a lack of commercial support.

There must be a difference otherwise they would not be marketed separately. I can't find it though.

(so presumably they can both be reblown too).

They can, but only with vastly inferior mostly non UK sound files. This has been pointed out several times already during this discussion thread. And that is the main reason why the Select Loksounds are outsold by 'full vat' V4 versions by a huge ratio. Bachmann will use them as a factory fitted option because they are cheaper, not in the interests of customers, as they are a downgrade over the previously supplied full fat version V4.

A similar issue exists in the 7mm ESU World, traditionally the big XL soundchip has been used. I was made aware a while ago of a so called 'same spec' but cheaper version, the Loksound L. I thought this was fabulous, cheaper purchase price, and a cheaper price for my customers. Turned out not to be the case. A demonstratably inferior sound, and although the overall surface area of the chip is smaller, the depth is almost double, which made for much harder installations. 

Sometimes with lots of things in life, spending a bit more can be qualitatively advantageous, rather than a fixation on getting the cheapest price on everything.

(so presumably they can both be reblown too).

They can, but only with vastly inferior mostly non UK sound files. This has been pointed out several times already during this discussion thread. And that is the main reason why the Select Loksounds are outsold by 'full vat' V4 versions by a huge ratio. Bachmann will use them as a factory fitted option because they are cheaper, not in the interests of customers, as they are a downgrade over the previously supplied full fat version V4.

A similar issue exists in the 7mm ESU World, traditionally the big XL soundchip has been used. I was made aware a while ago of a so called 'same spec' but cheaper version, the Loksound L. I thought this was fabulous, cheaper purchase price, and a cheaper price for my customers. Turned out not to be the case. A demonstratably inferior sound, and although the overall surface area of the chip is smaller, the depth is almost double, which made for much harder installations.

Sometimes with lots of things in life, spending a bit more can be qualitatively advantageous, rather than a fixation on getting the cheapest price on everything.

I think it’s been already stated several times in this thread that the chip can do everything a v4 can and that the full throttle free download files are probably the best sound files available.

The disadvantage of not being able to install a genuine British sound is not the decoders fault. ESU failure to support the small British market with suitable free soundfiles is the problem. RIP off Britain springs to mind.

One thing that is clear if the problem was with the decoder the American market would not tolerate it. When the rest of us were putting up with pancake motors the Americans had can motors and flywheels.

Rapido have been using them after dropping Soundtraxx Tsunamis and there products are top of the range.

I think it’s been already stated several times in this thread that the chip can do everything a v4 can and that the full throttle free download files are probably the best sound files available.

Myself and others in the trade, can reblow/change/upgrade V4 soundchips with new sound projects. That can't be done with a Select.  So therefore, for the eighth time, a Select cannot do everything a V4 can do.

At the risk of starting to bang my head against a brick wall, that is my final contribution to this thread.

Myself and others in the trade, can reblow/change/upgrade V4 soundchips with new sound projects. That can't be done with a Select. So therefore, for the eighth time, a Select cannot do everything a V4 can do.

At the risk of starting to bang my head against a brick wall, that is my final contribution to this thread.

Sorry about your head. But as stated before the Select can be reblown, changed,upgraded firmware etc just the same. The problem you have is only with ESU Select FREE soundfiles.

Which again isn’t the decoders fault.

£70 Select decoders!! Dreaming of the day!!

I think the isssue, originally for me, was that Bachmann never let on that they had replaced their v4 chips with selects, but maintained the price of their loco’s at the higher price point, and didn’t knock the £40 or so off the model to reflect the (at the time) noticeably cheaper price of the selects.

• RMweb Gold

There are clear physical differences between the select and the flagship Loksound v4 so I'm inclined to agree with blueeighties..... But I will add the following caveat... The select is only as good as the sound project loaded on it, and as far as I'm concerned the only select I would purchase willingly is the Bachmann 101, the 37 and the 47 lag far behind projects which can be loaded on the loksound v4 not heard a 20 yet but it would have to be pretty awesome to beat the existing projects available for loksound and Zimo decoders.....

As regards the comment about it not being the decoders fault I would point out that esu have not made it publicly possible to develop sound projects.... So in essence it is the decoders fault........ If esu were to make the decoder open source that would be a different matter entirely.......

Edited by pheaton