Subscription Recommendations?

New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

My local newsagent has cut back severely on their magazine stocking due to squeezing in a Post Office counter, and given my location on a smallish island in the Irish Sea getting MRJ has become difficult - all but impossible in fact.

'Can the panel recommend' a reliable source for a subscription service?   Or ones to avoid if your experience has been poor!  Direct experience only please.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

My local newsagent has cut back severely on their magazine stocking due to squeezing in a Post Office counter, and given my location on a smallish island in the Irish Sea getting MRJ has become difficult - all but impossible in fact.

'Can the panel recommend' a reliable source for a subscription service?   Or ones to avoid if your experience has been poor!  Direct experience only please.

Thanks in advance.

I get mine directly from the publisher, and that seems to be highly reliable.  Details are immediately under the index.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I get mine directly from the publisher, and that seems to be highly reliable.  Details are immediately under the index.

Adrian

D'oh.  I have every single issue, including three compendiums….and never noticed that!  I didn't think they did direct subs.

Thank you!

I think I might be in the same boat: I normally get it from Easons (largest chain of newsagents in Ireland) but they only stock it in two branches in Dublin.

The latest issue hasn't appeared, which makes me think it might have been delisted.

I'll try the publisher but given MRJ's (delightfully) old fashioned ways, I wonder if being outside the Sterling area will be an issue.

Glover

My local newsagent gets it in for me - Greenisland, Co. Antrim, but the latest has not appeared. She said that the distributor had run out of copies. I have to venture into Belfast tomorrow so may look in Easons in the city centre.

If i cannot get it, im in london wednesday morning, which is my best opportunity in terms of central london newsagents?

Thanks.

Edited by philip-griffiths

My local newsagent gets it in for me - Greenisland, Co. Antrim, but the latest has not appeared. She said that the distributor had run out of copies. I have to venture into Belfast tomorrow so may look in Easons in the city centre.

If i cannot get it, im in london wednesday morning, which is my best opportunity in terms of central london newsagents?

Thanks.

That might explain it i.e. that it's a distribution problem rather than Easons dropping it.

If you think of it, you might advise if Easons ( on Royal Avenue?) have it.

Many thanks,

Glover

D'oh.  I have every single issue, including three compendiums….and never noticed that!  I didn't think they did direct subs.

Thank you!

... and they come in a card backed photo envelope, and more promptly than News stand, although not as quick as some shops.

Paul

Glover,

nothing in Royal Avenue.   I wonder whether any made it over this side of the Irish Sea to newsagents?

That might explain it i.e. that it's a distribution problem rather than Easons dropping it.
If you think of it, you might advise if Easons ( on Royal Avenue?) have it.

Many thanks,

Glover

Thanks.

WHS Ealing?

:jester: 

Jason

Well someone has had a sense of humour bypass....

Why not ask the publishers rather than expect other people to do your searching?

http://www.titfield.co.uk/Wild-Swan/MRJ-Journal.htm

How hard was that? Took less than a minute.  :dontknow:

Jason

All I asked for was for the locations of good newsagents in the centre of london. I didnt ask people to look.

So far Heathrow nothing, Paddington nothing. Im wondering if there was an actual problem with the printing?

• RMweb Premium

Why not ask the publishers rather than expect other people to do your searching?

Jason

Titfield no longer do subscriptions, I already looked thanks.....talking of humour bypasses your sarcasm is unbecoming.

Jason

Except that Titfield are NOT the publisher. Titfield took over Wild Swan books, the magazines remained with Paul Karau at Cygnet.

All I asked for was for the locations of good newsagents in the centre of london. I didnt ask people to look.

So far Heathrow nothing, Paddington nothing. Im wondering if there was an actual problem with the printing?

But I did point out WHS....

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/pws/StoreFinder.ice?country=GB&findStore=findStore&page=stores&countryRegion=

They had loads of them in all six branches that I've frequented in the past few days. Three Liverpool WHSs - Liverpool One, Central Station, Lime Street. Also Manchester Piccadilly, Leeds and Selby.

BTW I thought that Ealing WAS Central London. It's only seven minutes from Paddington.

Jason

But I did point out WHS....

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/pws/StoreFinder.ice?country=GB&findStore=findStore&page=stores&countryRegion=

They had loads of them in all six branches that I've frequented in the past few days. Three Liverpool WHSs - Liverpool One, Central Station, Lime Street. Also Manchester Piccadilly, Leeds and Selby.

BTW I thought that Ealing WAS Central London. It's only seven minutes from Paddington.

Jason

Hello Jason

No, I would not classify Ealing as Central London, anything within Zone 1 could be argued to be central, but Ealing is out a few zones.

Kings X nothing, St. Pancras nothing.  

regards

• 3 weeks later...

Try Nigel Bird, Tregaron. A traditional second hand and new railway book seller.

I'll second Nigel Bird. Though the post is oft delayed to this far far distant shore through no fault of NIgel's. 

I've just returned from the UK but could not see any trace of  any MRJ's on the newstands at London Victoria. My 265 was in the accumulated mail/post when I arrived home.  There was a notice in my email this morning of a charge from Nigel so I assume that 266 is now on its way.