sem34090

• RMweb Gold

I'd love to see the line acquire more vintage coaching stock. The Carriage shop is doing amazing work with the Bulleid coaches and hopefully once they have the 3 set finished they'll move onto the LBSCR stock they were gifted a couple of years ago. They just need to find something appropriate to pull them! 

Tom. 

• Like 1

Ah, see my comments elsewhere! With question marks hanging over Waddon's future in Canada...

Naturally, as a pre grouping fan, I want to see as much of that stuff up there as possible! Put Alresford into LSWR colours too...

Edited by sem34090

It would have been many years ago now, but I think Ropley was painted in LSWR colours in the early days of preservation. Would be nice generally to see more pre-grouping themed stations (Ongar is painted for the GER, I believe, and there must be others, but I couldn't name many - Sheffield Park perhaps?).

I'd actually like to see some stations in post steam BR colours too, but I suspect I'm in a tiny minority there.

• Like 1

Ah, see my comments elsewhere! With question marks hanging over Waddon's future in Canada...

Naturally, as a pre grouping fan, I want to see as much of that stuff up there as possible! Put Alresford into LSWR colours too...

Couldn't agree more with you Sem. The Meon Valley line from Alton to Fareham was my local railway when I was a nipper. It is now the subject of my 00 layout which is a work in progress. I had a great uncle that started his working life with the LSWR as a cleaner in Bishops' Waltham and finished, retiring as a top link Waterloo to Southampton driver with BR !

It would have been many years ago now, but I think Ropley was painted in LSWR colours in the early days of preservation. Would be nice generally to see more pre-grouping themed stations (Ongar is painted for the GER, I believe, and there must be others, but I couldn't name many - Sheffield Park perhaps?).

I'd actually like to see some stations in post steam BR colours too, but I suspect I'm in a tiny minority there.

Hebden Bridge used to be in L&Y colours a while back

I think there is a place for all periods to be represented, but that post-steam periods are, by default, rarer on account of how and when most heritage railways came to exist, and how they operate today. I wouldn't, for example, want to see Medstead and Four Marks in NSE colours, as Mr David Scard keeps teasing me about! :O

I say that because it would be too incongruous for me, as Medstead closed long before the NSE era. However, even I would like to see a station restored to NSE spec, I think a good candidate would be Eridge. I know the Spa Valley line had shut by then, but Eridge itself has never closed and was painted in NSE colours at some stage.

Any thoughts?

NSE maybe not, but it did survive past the end of main line steam traction until the early 1970s (weren't the last trains all over blue?) so if history is in any way important it would be entirely appropriate to have a station in the 1970s corporate image. Of course nostalgia for those days is not fashionable, so I don't expect to see it any time soon.

And Alton in NSE colours would be entirely appropriate ;)

• Like 1

NSE maybe not, but it did survive past the end of main line steam traction until the early 1970s (weren't the last trains all over blue?) so if history is in any way important it would be entirely appropriate to have a station in the 1970s corporate image. Of course nostalgia for those days is not fashionable, so I don't expect to see it any time soon.

And Alton in NSE colours would be entirely appropriate ;)

True, but given the MHR has very little BR blue stock...

As for the old footbridge, there's a campaign to save it.

In other news, I get the double joy of my first night turn and my first turn at Ropley tomorrow!

• RMweb Gold

I see that the replacement of Butts bridge is planned to take place next year and that for approximately 6 months between January & July the MHR will be severed between Medstead and Alton. The ropley headshunt is being extended to accommodate the rolling stock usually stored at Alton. 

Personally I'm surprised it's going to take so long to replace the bridge, 6 months seems an awfully long time, even for this sort of thing. 

Tom. 

If it was NR replacing the bridge, chances are the blockade would only be a weekend (or a week at most), but the site compound doing prep and post commissioning work would be there for a matter of months.

What's going in to replace the bridge(s)? That horrible roundabout next to the bridges is one of my least favourite landmarks in Alton.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see that the replacement of Butts bridge is planned to take place next year and that for approximately 6 months between January & July the MHR will be severed between Medstead and Alton. The ropley headshunt is being extended to accommodate the rolling stock usually stored at Alton. 

Personally I'm surprised it's going to take so long to replace the bridge, 6 months seems an awfully long time, even for this sort of thing. 

Tom. 

Its not a straight like for like replacement - there are embankment modifications etc to do. Yes NR can do things quickly but that comes at a signifiant cost in terms of manpower and kit (i.e. paying night rates, arranging lighting etc. If you can do it slower during normal daytime working hours then it all becomes much cheaper.

Also the MHR is not part of the national rail network there are no rail replacement buses to organise or compensation to be paid to TOCs for every minute the line is closed.

Finally I believe that one key driver of the works is to allow a large housing development to happen and the developers are stumping up a significant lump of cash towards the project. As with many such initiatives part funded by developers (new relief roads, community facilities, etc), the developers don't want to spend more than they have to so will be looking to keep costs down

If it was NR replacing the bridge, chances are the blockade would only be a weekend (or a week at most), but the site compound doing prep and post commissioning work would be there for a matter of months.

What's going in to replace the bridge(s)? That horrible roundabout next to the bridges is one of my least favourite landmarks in Alton.

The project has its own website - see here https://www.buttsbridgeroadworks.co.uk/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So here it is! The last day of running into Alton for quite some time...

Come and see 92212 battle the sharp bank out of Alton for the final time for a few years.

Edited by sem34090

• RMweb Gold

Its not a straight like for like replacement - there are embankment modifications etc to do. Yes NR can do things quickly but that comes at a signifiant cost in terms of manpower and kit (i.e. paying night rates, arranging lighting etc. If you can do it slower during normal daytime working hours then it all becomes much cheaper.

Also the MHR is not part of the national rail network there are no rail replacement buses to organise or compensation to be paid to TOCs for every minute the line is closed.

Finally I believe that one key driver of the works is to allow a large housing development to happen and the developers are stumping up a significant lump of cash towards the project. As with many such initiatives part funded by developers (new relief roads, community facilities, etc), the developers don't want to spend more than they have to so will be looking to keep costs down

The project has its own website - see here https://www.buttsbridgeroadworks.co.uk/

Thats all good, but how is it the MHRs problem ?

I sssume the MHR is getting compensation for having their revenues fall for 6 months whilst property developers work with the council to widen the road that has no obvious benefits to the MHR ?

• Like 1

The MHR is getting a brand new bridge that should be much less of a liability than the old one was. A longer term benefit maybe, but like all their other bridges the old one wasn't going to last forever without having significant money spent on it.

• RMweb Gold

Thats all good, but how is it the MHRs problem ?

I sssume the MHR is getting compensation for having their revenues fall for 6 months whilst property developers work with the council to widen the road that has no obvious benefits to the MHR ?

From the MHR website:

The Long running saga of the Butts Bridge over Whitedown Lane, Alton was finally resolved at an EHDC Planning meeting last night when the scheme to demolish the brick arch section and widen with a new steel girder bridge was approved. 

The MHR Ltd has been in negotiation with the two groups of landowners on the old Treloars Hospital and Borovere farm site for over 3 years and is fully supportive of this scheme; and has reached, with the aid of professional advisors, a deal which is of significant financial benefit to the Railway. 

The funds generated will facilitate substantial Capital investment in the Railway’s infrastructure over the next few years. Temporary disruption to the operations of MHR services between Alton and Medstead will be minimal and negotiations have included proper provision for this. 

The substantial capital investment is rumored to be in the region of £8 million, although presumably the cost of the bridge & building work has to come out of whatever figure it is. 

Tom.