BR / GWR Siphon G diagram O.33 in 4mm scale

macgeordie

• RMweb Premium

I would be interested in two full kits.

Any indication of cost and how to reimburse you (cheque, paypal, bank transfer)?

Ken

Hi Ken

I'm not sure of the full cost yet as I haven't had the final pricing from the etchers. It will be more than the O.62 though because I got the pricing wrong for that one and everybody got their kits at just over cost price. There is quite a bit more in this kit as well so that it can be built with a number of variations and also the cost of castings has gone up quite a bit. It is likely to come out at about £57 or £58 for a full kit and about £40 for etches only at a guess. We can sort out payment strategy further down the line, but any of the above will be fine.

Cheers

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I managed to get this one painted last week and fitted the corridor connections. These are from one of our Forum members, Twiggy1969 who also produces various other laser cut sets of corridor connections and has kindly agreed to supply the ones for these kits which will save having to cut them out yourself. This is his website http://www.mbmodelra...products.co.uk/

I need to complete the weathering and apply a coat of Testors Dullkote then this one will be finished.

post-6711-0-71311600-1541162556_thumb.jpg

I'm still waiting for the final test etches to arrive from PPD. It appears they are very busy at the moment, hence the delay in getting the test etch.

Ian

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The test etches arrived a few days ago and I have now managed to get the chassis assembled to check out all the parts. Everything is O.K. except for one of the inner brake 'V' hangers which is a bit short, so it doesn't sit into the slot in the floor fully as can be seen in this photo.

post-6711-0-84822400-1542125056_thumb.jpg

It's a bit annoying but the hanger can be soldered easily enough to the van floor from the underside, which is what I have done in the photo above. It is not worth the cost of getting another tool made for such a minor issue.

Here are a few pics of the rest of the build, mainly showing the Dean Churchward brake gear.

post-6711-0-77233700-1542125199_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-68783100-1542125220_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-70348500-1542125244_thumb.jpg

I'll contact everybody who has shown in interest in having one of these vans in a few days time with details of the likely cost etc.

Ian

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

That's looking really good, Ian. I wonder if we can persuade any of the 257 people who voted for a Siphon G in the Wishlist poll that this kit would be much more satisfying to build than buying of the shelf. :)

That's looking really good, Ian. I wonder if we can persuade any of the 257 people who voted for a Siphon G in the Wishlist poll that this kit would be much more satisfying to build than buying of the shelf. :)

Oink, flap

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I think that is highly unlikely Ric. It seems the number of people with the skills or desire to build a metal kit is diminishing rapidly which is very sad. Before long the hobby will have nothing but people who want to open boxes containing their new RTR purchase, rather than make something, a pity really but that's the way it is heading. You can pretty much guarantee now that I have produced a kit, one of the RTR boys will announce they are going to do one.

Ian

As for making models it depends a lot if you play with toy trains or make models of the railway.

When I modelled in 4mm years ago there was nothing RTR available, there a little now but not enough to make a convincing Layout. In 7mm just the same so if I want locos, coaches and wagons for the right time and area it's kits or scratch building.

Kit building will not die out there will always be those who want something different. And there will be those who get fed up of this instant world and just want to slow things down again.

• RMweb Premium

I have sent a message today to everyone who has expressed an interest in a kit. If you haven't had a message, you are not on the list so if you would like one, please pm me as soon as possible.

• 1 year later...
On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 18:10, steam69 said:

Ian

The springs on the bogies are the wrong type, these are for passenger coaches, the type you need to have shorter (stiffer) leaf springs designed for full brakes and these vehicles.

Richard

Now I realise I may be regarded as a bit of a philistine in suggesting this, and I'm a bit late too having only just discovered this thread, but the Hornby Hawksworth coaches have these bogies, and from memory those fitted to their full brake are different from the passenger vehicles in that they do have the shorter leaf springs.   

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

Now I realise I may be regarded as a bit of a philistine in suggesting this, and I'm a bit late too having only just discovered this thread, but the Hornby Hawksworth coaches have these bogies, and from memory those fitted to their full brake are different from the passenger vehicles in that they do have the shorter leaf springs.   

Absolutely correct. The problem I have is sourcing these bogies without buying the whole coach - I need at least four sets. ABS did two different side frames and their parcels version is correct. With ongoing discussions as to the possible purchase of that range then their parcels bogies may become available again.

• Like 1

Not being skilled in soldering up an etched brass kit,  I've been working on improving a Lima BR maroon liveried Siphon G.

The most obvious error are the BR Mk1 bogies so I bought some GW plastic bogie frames from Replica railways (those fitted to the original Mainline GW coaches).  Now these are the passenger coach variety so I've been carving them up a bit by chopping off the ends of the springs, and then adding the spring 'hangers' (that's probably not the correct name) made from stiff wire and other bits. I've also got the correct buffers to fit too. Then I suspect ther'll be a few underframe mods too.

I've got the Jack Slinn book for some info but I'll be tempted to copy the underframe details from the photos on here.

I'm a Somerset & Dorset modeller and I've found quite a few colour pictures of these on the S&D.  My biggest frustration is I havn't found a pic yet where I can make out the number ! 

Edited by Combe Martin

15 hours ago, Flood said:

ABS did two different side frames and their parcels version is correct. With ongoing discussions as to the possible purchase of that range then their parcels bogies may become available again.

What on-going discussions?  Seeing the ABS 4mm range come back into availability would be very good news!

DrDuncan

3 minutes ago, drduncan said:

What on-going discussions?  Seeing the ABS 4mm range come back into availability would be very good news!

DrDuncan

See this recent thread on Small Suppliers:

Martin

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2020 at 19:21, Combe Martin said:

That makes me a philistine too then, I was looking at contacting Hornby to see if the 7ft bogies from their Collett coaches were going to be available as spares, to slip under one of my kits.

Is it every model of Hawksworth full brake with the shorter springs?

This one is showing long springs:

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/Hornby-r4404a-br-hawksworth-gangway-passenger-brake-coach---pre-1956-31669-p.asp

Whereas this has the short ones as pointed out by yourself:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/35924/hornby_r4500_gwr_hawksworth_1949_gangway_passenger_brake/stockdetail.aspx

Guessing the Osborns one could be a Hornby mock-up pic rather than actual product, as per the Hattons pic.

4 hours ago, 57xx said:

That makes me a philistine too then, I was looking at contacting Hornby to see if the 7ft bogies from their Collett coaches were going to be available as spares, to slip under one of my kits.

Is it every model of Hawksworth full brake with the shorter springs?

This one is showing long springs:

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/Hornby-r4404a-br-hawksworth-gangway-passenger-brake-coach---pre-1956-31669-p.asp

Whereas this has the short ones as pointed out by yourself:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/35924/hornby_r4500_gwr_hawksworth_1949_gangway_passenger_brake/stockdetail.aspx

Guessing the Osborns one could be a Hornby mock-up pic rather than actual product, as per the Hattons pic.

I suspect your right about the mock-up picture. 

I've got a maroon full brake (don't know its Hornby number) and it's definitely got the short springs.  I've also got a couple of other Hawksworth passenger coaches and they've got longer springs.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

With @macgeordie having now produced an O.11 Siphon, I thought it was time to build both the O.33 and O.62 he created over 3 years ago. I made a start on the first side last weekend, detailing the hinges, door corner strapping, door locks and label clip. The level of detail is incredible although assembling the first door's hinges took me an hour. Developing my technique and improving my performance saw the remaining hinges added in not much more than an hour. Swiftly followed by handles, strapping and label clip.

IMG_1793.JPG.f68ea50e2162b1ae97231ab1b4e8b368.JPG

Returning last night saw the second side completed, further improving technque and speed. Just the label clip to add then onwards to assembling the body...

IMG_1800.JPG.781f03a819218e5d92e5d56dbe64a7e7.JPG

Edited by kingmender
spelling!
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finished a while ago, today's delivery form Cornwall of Siphons from Accurascale prompted me to take some snaps. 

IMG_2630.JPG.0faac285aec9c2a2eb5d49c362d99045.JPG

@macgeordie O.33 first, then with RTR version. I know which one I like best. Must build the other two I have stashed (O.11 & O.62)

Rodger

IMG_2631.JPG.fd8b2a611468481a1ede5d4bbc4310a8.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1