Mk1 Carflats

Brian Kirby

I couldn't see a thread covering these, apart from Andy Y's announcement, so here goes.

Whilst we've been distracted by the new Mk2Fs, these Mk1 carflats have sneaked in under the radar.

I bought one each of the 1970s/80s blue solebar versions, the third option is bauxite brown/maroon with cascaded

upgrade bogies, covering the later period. Bachmann 38-901 is vacuum-braked only in blue without the Motorail slogan

fitted, 38-902 is dual-braked and carries the slogan, although a pair of slogan boards are included

in the 38-901 option goodies bag anyway, giving further choice. Both blue versions carry TOPS codes, and they are numbered

consecutively(!). Now nobody likes banana-shaped carriages, keeping a long open wagon nice and flat without any twist is always

a challenge, but these Bachmann carflats are commendably straight (at least my ones are).

Buying these was a rather guilty purchase for me, because for years I intended to make up my own from various scrap

Mk1s, but never got around to it, yet these new ones are too good to ignore. Has anyone bought the later brown one yet,

it would be nice to hear a report on that?

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Brian Kirby
  • Like 1

I couldn't see a thread covering these, apart from Andy Y's announcement, so here goes.

Whilst we've been distracted by the new Mk2Fs, these Mk1 carflats have sneaked in under the radar.

I bought one each of the 1970s/80s blue solebar versions, the third option is black with cascaded

upgrade bogies, covering the later period. Bachmann 38-901 is vacuum-braked only in blue without the Motorail slogan

fitted, 38-902 is dual-braked and carries the slogan, although a pair of slogan boards are included

in the 38-901 option goodies bag anyway, giving further choice. Both blue versions carry TOPS codes, and they are numbered

consecutively(!). Now nobody likes banana-shaped carriages, keeping a long open wagon nice and flat without any twist is always

challenge, but these Bachmann carflats are commendably straight (at least my ones are).

Buying these was a rather guilty purchase for me, because for years I intended to make up my own from various scrap

Mk1s, but never got around to it, yet these new ones are too good to ignore. Has anyone bought the later black one yet,

it would be nice to hear a report on that?

Cheers, Brian.

Pity there's not an original liveried one marked CARFLAT instead of the TOPS code.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can anyone tell me if the cars were anchored down with chains or cargo straps please? If they were just secured with the yellow chocks, were these fixed onto the wagon deck by any means or just wedged under the car wheels. I saw these wagons many times but have no photographs looking down from above.

Many thanks

John

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me if the cars were anchored down with chains or cargo straps please? If they were just secured with the yellow chocks, were these fixed onto the wagon deck by any means or just wedged under the car wheels. I saw these wagons many times but have no photographs looking down from above.

Many thanks

John

IIRC, on Motorails at least the yellow chocks were nailed in place to keep the cars from moving. I don't think there was anything else in addition.

As Bauxite was mentioned, I have never known quite how to pronounce that lovely word.

Is it like "Bork site"  (how I have always said it) 

or maybe its "Bow Site" ?   

anybody?

:)

Edited by ThaneofFife

As Bauxite was mentioned, I have never known quite how to pronounce that lovely word.

Is it like "Bork site"  (how I have always said it) 

or maybe its "Bow Site" ?   

anybody?

:)

No need, it is Freight stock red. The description used by BR, for lots of different colours down the years :sungum:  Although having a bauxite base in the early years (I suspect more recently completely organic paint) other colours were added to it. 

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks

John

Have a watch of this: https://youtu.be/exx_pGQIWe0

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2

The motor rail version is out and I received mine today. Here it is on a modern(ish) military train, with its Oxfordrail cousin (shorter with cream deck instead of brown), a couple of Hattons Warwells and a couple of appropriate other wagons seen on these kind of trains.

Vehicles are Oxford Diecast (and spread across a good few modern eras).

Of the two car flats (note they are not based on the same prototype), the Bachmann one is mostly Diecast and more weighty of the pair. Both come with yellow chocs and bits bag (not fitted here). The pair work well as can be seen below.

post-15098-0-09428100-1539033756_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-21885500-1539033822_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-54745100-1539033837_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-18007100-1539033856_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-53708500-1539033882_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-88357100-1539033907_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-74698500-1539033924_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-08509300-1539033944_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-48365600-1539033979_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-85221300-1539033999_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-60382600-1539034016_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4

I have had people asking whether or not these new carflats are better than the old Hornby one.....

I believe pictures can say things better than words so here we are with some 80s items running with the all new carflats representing that era.

Before anyone asks, the new versions do not have ramps that can be folded down flat, so no they are not compatible with the old Hornby's car ramp loading system.

post-15098-0-62338100-1539107510_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-77221900-1539107531_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-58657600-1539107554_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-44037700-1539107593_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-44037700-1539107593_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-56981200-1539107636_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-95597100-1539107617_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Guest teacupteacup

I am astounded that people are asking if they are better than the ye-ancient Hornby relic!!  

If people have been asking this, their models should be removed from them and then minced!

I am astounded that people are asking if they are better than the ye-ancient Hornby relic!!

Yes that was a blatant lie on my part.

Astoundingly people pay a fortune for the articulated car carrier in the pic (Hornby R666 of all numbers). One is on ebay right now for £111!

Astoundingly people pay a fortune for the articulated car carrier in the pic (Hornby R666 of all numbers). One is on ebay right now for £111!

Probably because none of the usual suspects has done an proper 4mm. scale RTR CARTIC-4.

Both Hornby and Keyser did a CARTIC-2 (!); the latter as a plastic kit, primarily for a promotional model of a Channel Tunnel concept WAY before there was any realistic chance of such a project succeeding.

Modellers, including me, regularly try and cut-and-shut the former, and occasionally the latter, into passable representations of a true CARTIC-4 - but it's not as straightforward as it looks! (Ask me how I know - I still have both projects started but unfinished).

There has also been at least one etched kit - but they are rare as hen's teeth nowadays.

SOMEONE will pick up the gauntlet - perhaps 3D printing is the way forward ?!?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2