Scottish Region - loco hauled stock in the latter 1960s

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a copy of "Scottish Urban and Rural Branch Lines" by Geo. C. O'Hara, and noticed a number of photographs of diesels hauling coaches in service on branch lines as late as 1965.  As you may expect, the focus of the photograph is usually the locomotive meaning that the coaches are hard to pick out.  From what little I can make out some look to be non-corridor types, while others look to be pre-nationalisation designs.  Can anyone give me an idea of what coaches would be in use on such services at this date?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,

Alex.

Most of my photos are pre diesel but somewhere I have one of a diesel hauled one coach train on the Aberfeldy branch. This had an ex LNER Thompson designed Non corridor Brake Composite ( 2x 1st 4x 3rd compartments) as the passenger coach plus a couple of vans.

best wishes,

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that.  Would that be one of the 50' vehicles (as in the Hornby model), or something longer (sorry, but I know effectively nothing about LNER coaching stock)?

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have a number of books which contain pics of the Ballachullish branch there is a mixture of ex LMS and LNER non corridors plus a few mk1 suburbans too but these seem to be less. All types are definitely shorter than standard 64 foot Mk1s ,there were some 64 foot mk1 suburbans but these aren't them?

think the ex LNER Thompsons were by far the most common.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dubdee/4179118370