009 track plans

Chrisr40

Hi, up until recently I have been an OO gauge modeller but a desire to build a layout with my son and maybe a little boredom with the aforementioned gauge has made 009 look appealing. I have some spare boards that are approximately 2ft by 4ft and I want to make best use of them without overcrowding. I really like the layouts I have seen with elevation and multiple levels but I have no idea where to start in designing a track plan. Sorry for the rambling post but I would really appreciate any advice on good books I could read or plans that would fit as per my pic below. Many thanks Chrispost-7105-0-34169400-1538519275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chrisr40

First (same as with any layout) is you need to decide what you are modelling, that will then point you towards the trackplan, scenery, etc.

OO9 covers an awful lot of ground as it covers all narrow gauge from 1ft 11.5ins up to 2ft 6ins gauges which can be anything from small industrialwith tiny 30hp diesels through to large common carriers, some even using transported wagons for SG wagons so the loading gauge varies also from very small to bigger than SG!

So what are you thinking of modelling?!!

Edited by Hobby

Hi Hobby

In my mind I have small diesels and steam locos serving a mix of industry and passenger traffic. I have bought a couple of Kato chassis which I intend to build bodies for but am very tempted by the Bachmann Baldwin. Fidelity to prototype is not paramount as I want it to be fun to build and operate with my son. Analogue control to begin with. As I mentioned I like the sinuous winding layouts that appear on YouTube but i have no idea how you go about planning the loops and levels. Hence any suggestions for good books or Web sites are much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Chrisr40

A significant mistake that a lot of people make when going from SG to NG is to build a ‘standard gauge railway but smaller’.

Most NG, even public passenger carrying, was hugely simplified as compared with ‘big brother’, especially in terms of signalling and unfortunately modern preserved lines are often far more complicated than they ever were in working days, because of the intensity of traffic that they carry.

NG was chosen, usually, because it was cheaper, and that cheapness and simplicity needs to be reflected.

There are always exceptions, and the Festiniog was one, because at its height it carried intense traffic, and the L&B another, because Sir George Newnes had money to burn, I think.

Beyond that, very worth deciding roughly ‘why, where and when’ your railway exists, because they will lead to a lot of answers about ‘what’.

I'm not sure there's a book at present (though I think there may be at some point), but doing a Google Image search may help:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=009+track+plans&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjllq-dv-rdAhWXHsAKHY3NAi4QsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1440&bih=758

From what you've said, steam and diesel and passenger/freight might I suggest an industrial line, 2ft (ish) gauge, with preserved passenger operations and early morning/late night workers trains? Based around the 1970s...

Edited by Hobby

I can think of two well known ones straight off the top of my head, Ffestiniog and Leek and Manifold, I suspect there are more... I would agree that using tunnels to get the train "off scene" isn't very realistic, though it isn't for standard gauge either! Using bridges, trees, large buildings is always a better way if you can.

Edited by Hobby

Perhaps keep the gauge the same and change the scale to O-16.5 (or On30). This way you can re-use any OO track and loco mechanisms. O-16.5 will fit into the same space as OO but with additional clearance considerations. O-16.5 locos and rolling stock are very similar in size and weight to OO but of course everything else is bigger.

There are plenty of loco body kits to go on RTR chassis as well as new chassis.