Posted Image

The 2018 OO Wishlist is now live - please read the Guide pages here before voting.

Photo
- - - - -

Oily look for steam loco oily bits ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 w124bob

w124bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 996 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 07 October 2018 - 20:20

Now there are a couple gents on here who I've just stumbled across whilst researching Bachmann 9F's, Tim and Gordon S who both use an oil and powder method for the oily bits. So my question is, what type of oil and powder refered to as "steam" has been used?. Gordon S mentions it in his 9F section which was quite sometime ago so I'm only 8 years late!

Edited by w124bob, 07 October 2018 - 20:21 .

#2 Brocp

Brocp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:02

I use AK Interactive "Fuel Stains" for that greasy oily look now, but there are several other ways to do it. Have a look at my thread "weathered LMS locomotives" to see the results.

#3 Paul80

Paul80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:05

Gloss varnish for the oily bits.

#4 Mick Bonwick

Mick Bonwick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:31

Now there are a couple gents on here who I've just stumbled across whilst researching Bachmann 9F's, Tim and Gordon S who both use an oil and powder method for the oily bits. So my question is, what type of oil and powder refered to as "steam" has been used?. Gordon S mentions it in his 9F section which was quite sometime ago so I'm only 8 years late!

Rather than me having to search the whole of RMweb for the topic, can you provide a clue to the whereabouts of it? If Gordon S or Tim can't answer your question, then somebody else might be able to if they can find the original post(s).

#5 w124bob

w124bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 996 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:35

Here is the link to the first oil reference www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/18339-eastwood-town-9f-gets-weatheredstage-3/ as Gordon s posted yesterday he's still here. He simply refers to dry brushing using lubricating oil, so I assume he's refering to oil intended for loco mechs.

#6 bike2steam

bike2steam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • Locationnear Blandford

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:58

Gunmetal with a hint of tan, or metal 'blackening' ( Birchwood 'Super-Blue') finished off with gloss varnish applied with an air-brush.

#7 Barry O

Barry O

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • LocationNow generally in Yorkshire....

Posted 11 October 2018 - 21:39

a bit of humbrol "leather" mixed with humbrol "gunmetal" applied then a wash of an ink/water/washing up liquid mix and a bit of a brown/black weathering powder dragged across the nearly dry ink mix?

Duchess Cleaned cap (1024x483).jpg

Baz