Bachmann Class 85 31-679

RecordEdit

Greetings All

Has anyone here recently purchased the Bachmann Class 85 with small yellow panels, catalogue number 31-679, only to find there is a poor application of the yellow paint on said panels?  I've taken delivery of a second loco today exhibiting this problem, having sent the first one back to the online store, and I'm wondering if this has been an issue for others buying this particular model or if I have been quite unlucky.

It would be useful to know as I decide whether to cut my losses with this one and just ask for my money back.

Thanks.

I bought one, only because they are cheap at the moment.

Not really any problem with the yellow ends just a bit of overspray into the grey at one end but hard to see with the naked eye so I'm not bothered about it. But certainly doesn't run as silky smooth as the Hornby 87.

post-5264-0-71343600-1539244167_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

you must be the only person to have bought these.   ive never seen or heard of others having bought this version.   

Bachmann usually get their yellow just right.   cant you post up some photos?

Electrics dont sell ? ;)

Ive had two of these, one had a small chip where the headcode had been push fitted, otherwise both fine.

One is a donor chassis for my Trix 81.

you must be the only person to have bought these.   ive never seen or heard of others having bought this version.   

Bachmann usually get their yellow just right.   cant you post up some photos?

Thanks for the input, Gentlemen.  Let me see if I can add a couple of photos to show you what I'm meaning.

The first '85 I returned had more substantial "chipping" (for want of a better term) around the headcodes but, having seen that first example, I was obviously more sensitive to how the yellow paintwork looked on getting this one out of the box.

post-23956-0-54899300-1539304787_thumb.jpg

post-23956-0-97883300-1539304805_thumb.jpg

Edited by RecordEdit

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the input, Gentlemen.  Let me see if I can add a couple of photos to show you what I'm meaning.

The first '85 I returned had more substantial "chipping" (for want of a better term) around the headcodes but, having seen that first example, I was obviously more sensitive to how the yellow paintwork looked on getting this one out of the box.

That was how my first one was.

I touched it up with a dab of yellw Railmatch 1970’s yellow paint, which was a near dead match using a cocktail stick, then kept the chassis for my Trix81 and passed the body on.

jeez the front of that doesnt even look like an 85 -  looks flat fronted more like an 86.   is that a fisheye lens you took the photo thru maybe?

the chip is bad.  the yellow itself looks ok to me but definitely a return item if that's how it arrived.

I bought one, only because they are cheap at the moment.

Not really any problem with the yellow ends just a bit of overspray into the grey at one end but hard to see with the naked eye so I'm not bothered about it. But certainly doesn't run as silky smooth as the Hornby 87.

Personally, I never find that Bachmann Chassis are ever as smooth as Hornby, and are often noisier.  I've got a 66728 (which I told the retailer about it), and it hums that loud it could nearly pass as sound fitted.  The retailer said, that they have a Bachmann Class 37, thats the same, so should not be a problem!

Regarding the end marks on the Class  85- almost looks as though someone has tried to pack them when still slightly wet, hence the "smudged marks" and possibly the chips are where the paint is at its thinnest on the edge, so has dried faster, hence when whatever has been put next to the body has been separated its "pulled" the paint off,  resulting in the likes of the small  chips.

Regards,

C.

jeez the front of that doesnt even look like an 85 -  looks flat fronted more like an 86.   is that a fisheye lens you took the photo thru maybe?

the chip is bad.  the yellow itself looks ok to me but definitely a return item if that's how it arrived.

No, not a fisheye lens, just dodgy camera and operator skills!  I wanted to get in as close as possible to show the poor effort on the paint job but it tended to lose focus in the photo anyway.

From Bachmann I have 37's, 47's, 57's, 20's, a 66 and an 08, and the finish of all has been consistantly first class.  This is the only time I have struck trouble with one of their products, and with two examples now.  I've seen this model on sale with more than one retailer and am wondering if this is why, that quality control wasn't the best on this loco.

Edited by RecordEdit

Regarding the end marks on the Class  85- almost looks as though someone has tried to pack them when still slightly wet, hence the "smudged marks" and possibly the chips are where the paint is at its thinnest on the edge, so has dried faster, hence when whatever has been put next to the body has been separated its "pulled" the paint off,  resulting in the likes of the small  chips.

Regards,

C.

That's how it looked to me also.  Up close the paint isn't so much chipped as just not applied.  The edges are rounded and smooth, as when you brush enamel on and the paint flattens out to a smooth level finish before it dries.  It has that appearance rather than having dried and subsequently a piece of the paintwork breaking off.