MRJ 266

queensquare

...the difference being that you use the word “compromise” whereas I prefer to think in terms of setting a standard for how far one is prepared to go. Compromise has negative connotations and has been defined as a way of leaving everyone feeling unsatisfied. Maybe that along with your apparent misreading of my posts led to my ad hominem response to you?

Simon, I think you're comment on couplings in the Cameo topic sums up modelling compromises though? There is no perfect solution to meet all the requirements of a standalone model looking like the real thing, it being able to operate on a layout like the real thing without spoiling any illusions.

I agree in other areas though, finding a common standard to work to so it all works together and comes together in a timescale to suit the builder(s) doesnt necessarily need to have 'compromised' any objectives.

• Like 1

Picked up a copy this week, another excellent issue. Though for the second issue running, I’m finding the show adverts giving a tantalizing glimpse of a layout that I’d like to see more of, in this case, Middle Peak in EM.

Personally, I found the editorial made perfect sense. As a lone Modeller, I find it difficult to progress my projects at a rate I’m happy with, something less of an issue on group projects where many hands can make light work. The art of compromise is what I use to ensure my models pass the ‘at arm’s length’ detail test before moving on to the next project. Otherwise, I’d get nothing finished!

Heybridge Wharf is a gem, though I might be biased having holidayed in Norfolk within the last month, many of the kits used on that layout are also available in my preferred 7mm scale.

It’s interesting to note (to me at least) that Heybridge Wharf and the planned Little London Project are both fruits of modelling competitions with restrictions on the size of layout. Both compromises, but ones which help the Modeller get started with an achievable end point.

Much food for thought and I’ve only reached page 263, I’m about to get backscene envy...

Andrew

• Like 1

Well Done Jerry,

Another gem of a publication.

Being a 2mmFs/Ngauge modeller I really connected with the editorial and It was nice to see the journal featuring a lot of 2mm modelling for a change.

Well Done

regard 

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Darlington turned out a final batch of 08s (D3454-72, later 08 369-87) with the external long-strap hinges after Crewe and Derby had standardised on the pressed door/short strap type.

See the Dapol 08 thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102801-Dapol-08/?view=findpost&p=2432705

08 377 with strap hinges?

I’d like to see a picture of the prototype before I accept that!

(That’s not a finescale issue, just the basics.)

• RMweb Gold

Darlington turned out a final batch of 08s (D3454-72, later 08 369-87) with the external long-strap hinges after Crewe and Derby had standardised on the pressed door/short strap type.

See the Dapol 08 thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102801-Dapol-08/?view=findpost&p=2432705

Ah. That explains it.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry,

A lovely edition (well, maybe I would say that !).

Your editorial really hit the spot for me - life is too short to create a couple of exhibition layouts and the necessary rolling stock without compromises. What those compromises are is up to the individual modeller. With the wisdom of hindsight, things may have been done differently, but hey-ho.

Best wishes,

John

• Like 2

...did this issue ever make it up north as I've not seen one in any of my local smiffs?

It reached 53.4° N over a week ago, so it should have crept past the Scottish Border by now....

Never mind, 267 is "due" in 17 days time!