Gauge 0 Photoplank -backscene ideas?

This is my attempt at a photo plank for my Gauge 0 models, such as they are.

The idea is that this is the far corner of a larger yard, urban TMD or carriage berthing area - surrounded on three sides by urban grot of intederminate period (though likely 1930's).

The broad plan is to have a signal box (facing the viewer) as an additional view block for the exit to 'staging', and the centre of the foreground to be muddy grot, with ground water sitting in a large puddle for some nice reflections.

I have no idea what to do for the rear of the layout however, or the right hand side. Any advice or suggestion is gladly taken - but I'd rather NOT build 3' of warehouse.

ENTc8gw.jpg

• Like 1

Hello William,

Given that you have a Midland van on display you may have access to Midland wagons volumes 1 and 2 by RJ Essery. In the background to Vol 1 plate 227 there is a small embankment topped by a substantial wooden fence. In volume 2 plate 340 shows what I think is the same fence but more visible behind the low 30 ton trolley. (A few telegraph poles break up the monotony of the long fence)  Earlier photos from the 1870s and 80s in the books show another fence (or maybe the same one) with trees beyond the fence. There were obviously regular places where the MR photographers wanted a 'neutral' background to their photos of new stock. Three feet of fence should be more easily modelled than large warehouses. The trees could provide an exercise in tree construction using wire or some of the other techniques available on the RMweb etc.

I hope this may provide some food for thought.

Best wishes

Rich

Hi William

That's a nicely built baseboard.

3' of retaining wall might be a little less daunting than 3' of low-relief warehouse. Then your backscene could be a fairly simple photographic urban grot, or the backs of a row of terrace houses.

Good luck with this, I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Regards

Bill