Waldenburgerbahn G 3/3 (0-6-0)

fieldman1981

Hello,

I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.

I have a keen interest in Swiss Railways for various reasons.  I visited a few years ago and definitely plan to go again in the not too distant future.

Ever since I saw a 7.25" gauge live steam model of the diminutive Waldenburgerbahn 0-6-0, I said to myself that I needed one of my own.  The company Balson AG of Switzerland already produce a magnificent model of this locomotive but it's definitely way out of my budget especially with our dismal exchange rate.  I contacted the Swiss Railway Museum in Lucerne to ask for assistance regarding a detailed G.A. drawing of the locomotive and they heartily replied although the drawing didn't have much detail that I could make out.  This did help however to get the design of the project underway.  I managed to scour the web for photos of the loco which greatly assisted in getting the look right so far.

I will not be making the model a very highly-detailed, super-scaled version of the real thing but as long as it looks right.  To date I have the frames assembled and next is the make the horn blocks and axle boxes.

The Waldenburgerbahn in the process to re-gauge the line from 750mm to metre gauge and this has sadly resulted in the recent final run of the operable heritage 0-6-0 (G 3/3) No.5  steam loco.  I only saw the sister loco on static display in the Swiss Transport Museum when I visited last.

Does anyone perhaps know what will become of this loco? I know that most of the rolling stock will be re-used in other countries.

It saddens me to know that when I visit Switzerland again, I won't be able to travel on this 750mm line behind a steam loco but I guess progress and modernization is inevitable.

I will highly appreciate any photos of the loco that anyone might have and will be willing to share.  Even better still, a drawing or two would be great.

All the best,

Martin

• Like 1

Hello Martin,

First some good news about the real thing: The Baselland Transport AG (BLT) is awaiting planning permission to build an exhibition shed at Talhaus to hold the locomotive, one coach and a closed van.

I don't know what plans or drawings you could find at the Verkehrshaus, there are however a few WB prototypes among the Studer Modellbaupläne, drawn for 0e gauge.

See page 9 of 12:

http://www.studer-modellbauplaene.ch/Planverzeichnis.pdf

http://www.studer-modellbauplaene.ch/

Best regards

Christian

Hello Martin,

First some good news about the real thing: The Baselland Transport AG (BLT) is awaiting planning permission to build an exhibition shed at Talhaus to hold the locomotive, one coach and a closed van.

I don't know what plans or drawings you could find at the Verkehrshaus, there are however a few WB prototypes among the Studer Modellbaupläne, drawn for 0e gauge.

See page 9 of 12:

http://www.studer-modellbauplaene.ch/Planverzeichnis.pdf

http://www.studer-modellbauplaene.ch/

Best regards

Christian

Thank you so much Christian, this is so helpful, I'll certainly contact Studer and arrange something.  Good to know that the loco will be safe at least even though it will be be confined to a shed.

Best, Patrick

Sorry, no drawings but one photo which may be of interest.

attachicon.gif1991.06.16 3538PUB Waldenburg - WB G3.3 No.5 'G.Thommen' 0-6-0T built 1902.jpg

Waldenburgbahn G3/3 No.5 'G.THOMMEN' being prepared on a wet Sunday morning at Waldenburg prior to working a special service on 16/06/1991.

Thanks very much, great photo, what a wonderful little machine.