BR built Medfits in revenue use - when did it end

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I am looking to build up a small collection of wagons that would have been in service during the middle to late 1960s.  So far I have been able to track down a lot of useful information regarding some of the more common types;  I am, however, a bit stuck with BR built Medfits (both the three plank, and steel bodied types).  So far, all I can find are fairly vague comments about them transferring to engineers use in the 60's.  So here's the question:

Can anyone tell me when these wagons last were used in revenue service?

As ever, thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards,

Alex.

Moreover we don't know when BR started to designate ex revenue stock with a D prefix. Sometime in the late 1950s?? (this is different from the purpose built for the engineers wagons which were D prefixed on their plates from new). We discussed it at one of our recent pub meets.

For medfits I keep an eye out for revenue ones in pictures, certainly seen into the early 60s - I don't keep any records of anything.

Paul

As a Palbrick conversion the steel sided BR version (medfit with extended sides and end clamps)  lasted into the 70s. 

These appear to have been converted before 1960.

It seems many Medfits were redundant before they were built.

May have just found  a wooden one though  in 1964. (Western Steam Farewell by Darren page, Pg41)  It is hard to make out but the markings on the wagon seem to indicate in departmental use but definitely a revenue train.

Further possible wooden versions in revenue traffic June 1962 in Working Steam, Collett and Hawksworth Halls by Roy Hobbs, Pg 52

There are a few in the backgound of other photos I have found dated 1963 but look to be in departmental traffic, albeit surrounded by revenue wagons

Andy

• RMweb Gold

How coincidental; I've just been asking about these over on Qs and Ts.  Can't help much, sorry, and I don't remember any in revenue during the 70s when I did some time at Canton as a goods guard.  We certainly had drop side/end wagons, pipes and tubes, and to Cardiff's shame we sent out those awful Invacar blue fibreglass 3 wheel death traps on lowfits, but no meds.