Locomotion ID Required.

ngaugenut

Could anyone help me identify these please. I have looked on google ect and have no Joy. I have managed to take apart, clean and re-oil both and they are now running reasonably well but using a fair amount of current. This is probably due to loss of magnetism etc but I would really like to know more about them.  The 4-6-0 is of metal construction, tender driven with a shft drive to the engine and sprung loaded pickups. Any ideas as to motor type and maker?

post-17505-0-92206600-1540059549_thumb.jpg

post-17505-0-37033900-1540059622_thumb.jpg

post-17505-0-78953400-1540059893_thumb.jpg

As previously stated the 4-6-0 is a Graham Farish GP5, usually known as a 'Black Five'. These rejoice in an awful 2 pole motor of eccentric design. If you are lucky it has been replaced with something better.

The 0-6-0 chassis was made by Gaiety and usually powered their rather crude Pannier tank, though it was available separately. A good one runs well (they are five pole motors), but they do suffer from eccentric wheels (Thomas's friend Duck started life as one of these hence the name) and the gears tend to wear, especially the pinion on the armature shaft (turn it around for another sixty odd years life). There was also an 0-6-2 version which usually lived under a Dublo style N2 body numbered 46917. The original pickups were of stouter wire than these and go the other way up with the brush housings above the pickups. Something better is really required. Check the brush housings do not run hot, but it is likely that it needs remagnetising after all these years. ( Both date from the late forties/fifties.)

If you can get the two pole motor to start (big 'if'), the GP5 will pull a house down thanks to her weight and traction tyres on the centre drivers. These are probably perished through age (the ones on mine are).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1