Taiwan rail crash

jjb1970

• 2 weeks later...

It now appears that the driver and control had spent much time prior to the incident trying to deal with defects on the train, with the driver wanting the train to be taken out of service and Control refusing: looks like isolation of the ATP could have been done to try to alleviate other problems. As always things are never as straightforward as they appear at first sight.

• RMweb Premium

You should: if you need any tips on what to do, drop me a line.

Will do! My wife's cousin lives there and has been badgering us to visit for a while so we are planning to go next year.

• RMweb Gold

It now appears that the driver and control had spent much time prior to the incident trying to deal with defects on the train, with the driver wanting the train to be taken out of service and Control refusing: looks like isolation of the ATP could have been done to try to alleviate other problems. As always things are never as straightforward as they appear at first sight.

I think if I had been dragooned into driving a train with a safety system disabled, I might drive a little more gingerly than usual. I wonder if there is another twist to this horrid tale.

• RMweb Premium

There is almost invariably more to any story than is apparent in general media reporting and initial revelations, those cases where everything really is very simple with nothing beyond the obvious proximate cause) tend to be very much the exceptions.

There is almost invariably more to any story than is apparent in general media reporting and initial revelations, those cases where everything really is very simple with nothing beyond the obvious proximate cause) tend to be very much the exceptions.

Quite. Having spent some years in vehicle and road safety, one thing that I learned was that, in any given incident, the one thing you could be sure didn't happen was what the media reports said happened.