Hattons Wholesale

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Today I’m pleased to announce that Hattons have started offering Wholesale terms to other UK retailers.

We are able to open a limited number of new accounts, and have already agreed to work with:

• Harburn Hobbies of Edinburgh

• Olivias Trains (Sheffield)

• Rails of Sheffield

• Widnes Model Centre

• Bluebell Railway

We will be despatching initial orders on the same day (Monday next week), so that all retailers receive at the same time

Further information:

• To be eligible for a Hatton’s Wholesale account you must have retail premises within the UK where our products will be displayed.

• We are not accepting pre orders at the moment through wholesale but intend to in future.

• Having a Hattons wholesale account comes with a number of benefits in relation to both Hattons exclusives and pre owned stock. If you would like more information drop Mike Robinson a note on wholesale@hattons.co.uk .

You can apply for a Hattons Wholesale account at https://wholesale.hattons.co.uk. Applications will be reviewed within 7 working days of receipt.

As always any feedback is welcome.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Further to the above, if any retailers that are interested would like to visit in person and have a look at how we operate, we're more than happy to accommodate this.

Please feel free to get in touch via phone (0151 733 3655) or email and we can arrange a date and time.

Cheers

Dave

This pushes Hattons further down the manufacturer line. I'm surprised to see them distributing to some of their largest competitors (especially Rails), although I guess it is all about increased product exposure vs exclusivity. And in the end if it ups the quality and diveristy of models, good luck to them.

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Premium

At the end of the day, if you're a 'manufacturer' (which these days means a commissioner of product from China and other countries), then you'll be interested in selling as much of your product as possible. It's fine to stick with being the sole retailer when only doing occasional limited production runs, but for ongoing sales you need as many outlets as possible, so this development makes sense. I wonder if others like Rails, Kernow, etc, might also open up in a similar way if they commission models that can do ongoing business?

Edited by Ian J.

This pushes Hattons further down the manufacturer line. I'm surprised to see them distributing to some of their largest competitors (especially Rails), although I guess it is all about increased product exposure vs exclusivity. And in the end if it ups the quality and diveristy of models, good luck to them.

With manufacturers already doing direct sales online and imposing discount limits, I am not surprised. The line between manufacturer and shop has become blurred but overall I still see Hattons as a retailer first and manufacturer second, while Hornby is still for me a manufacturer first, retailer second. This for me can be determined by where the bulk of their sales lay - and its a safe bet the bulk of Hattons sales are B2C (business to end customers like us) while Hornby's is mostly B2B (Business to Business).

It is not new though for a shop to be both retailer and manufacturer (or even wholesaler). Gaugemaster have been both for decades.

To be honest, I am glad that Hattons are giving other shops a bite of the cherry of their wonderful exclusive products which hopefully will help to keep the hobby alive.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if others like Rails, Kernow, etc, might also open up in a similar way if they commission models that can do ongoing business?

There do seem to be other tie-ups going on between retailers. What was originally announced as an Invicta Model Rail exclusive, the 38-125Y RTC Trib Van, is now being sold as a joint limited edition by Invicta and Kernow MRC.

It does surprise me how often people post on here that they would like livery "x" to be produced, when it has been or even is still available as a retailer exclusive. Some retailer limited editions seem to hang around for ages too - compare how many Class 47 limited editions Kernow still has available compared to those released as regional exclusives that Bachmann is already showing as out of stock. This does suggest the more retailers selling a limited edition, the quicker it is likely to sell out. That can only be a good thing.

T. Some retailer limited editions seem to hang around for ages too - compare how many Class 47 limited editions Kernow still has available compared to those released as regional exclusives that Bachmann is already showing as out of stock.

The fact they did so many (along with 37s and now class 50s) at once, 500 pieces of each (about 8000 models) probably did not help. This exactly at the moment the Bulleid diesels and other exclusive items were released - not to mention a glut of SR items elsewhere (P class, H2, B4, H, Merchant Navies, Birdcages etc). I kept saying and keep saying "oh one of those would be nice to have IF only there was little else to buy". Of course spreading them out might help shift a few though.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. Even more interesting is that it appears to include secondhand items as well which could have a very unusual effect on that market as Hattons buy in on very good terms but will no doubt be looking for a margin if they are selling on within the trade.

So is it a good move or a bad one? The jury will have to remain out on that but Richard Johnson made some very telling points in his 'Tail Lamp' piece in a recent BRM.

Edited by Andy Y
Commercial confidence removed.

Interesting. Even more interesting is that it appears to include secondhand items as well which could have a very unusual effect on that market as Hattons buy in on very good terms but will no doubt be looking for a margin if they are selling on within the trade.

So is it a good move or a bad one? The jury will have to remain out on that but Richard Johnson made some very telling points in his 'Tail Lamp' piece in a recent BRM.

If the other Ts & Cs you refer to are the ones with the reselling clause, this will only apply to products that are from said manufacturer.

At present only Hatton’s own brand product is being offered to trade

(Note Oxford Rail ICI hoppers are not available)

So the clause (as far as I’m aware) is not being breached.

• RMweb Gold

I find this a very interesting move by Hatton's. It may change the whole dynamic of retailing within the hobby.

Another well-known retailer used to be a discounter / box-shifter. But they moved away from that when they started wholesaling to other retailers. You can't have a pricing structure which undercuts the people you are selling to (as Hornby have found).

• RMweb Premium

Let me start by saying, I am aware that the stocking of exclusive models from other shops and groups has been going on for sometime and I don't really care who stocks what, from where.

However, I am going to make myself look incredibly dim, when I say, I don't see how allowing other shops sell your exclusive models, is going to mean you sell more items - unless you are getting cold feet over what you've commissioned and are looking to offload some of the pain? 

In this day and age, who needs more than 1 store selling a particular exclusive model? Surely, a very large % of purchasers have access to Hattons as either a shop you visit, an online retailer or a retailer who accepts telephone orders (if you see their advert in the press or online).

For me personally, I have bought, and have on pre-order, a number of Kernow Model Centre exclusives - why am I going to hope or wait for the day that another retailer is going to stock that item?   

I think the point is that no matter how big any one retailer, there will always be people they don't reach - people who always just look at what their usual retailer has, or who only buy in store or at exhibitions. Online shopping might evsn be a majority of sales now (I don't know) but there's clearly still a sizeable amount of on store or exhibition sales.

Add to that, many "exclusive" models tend to be the kinds of things people might not set out planning to buy, but end up deciding to get because they like it when they see it. So having the models in more physical display cases might actually help drive more spontaneous sales?

Buying from a shop in person means you can check the running quality and the condition of the item before handing over any money.  No messing about with returns etc. if there is a fault, just refuse it in the first place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Buying from a shop in person means you can check the running quality and the condition of the item before handing over any money.  No messing about with returns etc. if there is a fault, just refuse it in the first place.

You know what, I used to firmly believe in that as well and to an extent, I still do.

Like many others, no doubt, I am very particular about what constitutes a 'good runner' in terms of an RTR loco. I have stood at the counter of more than one model shop and asked to see a loco demonstrated on the shop's test track. Unfortunately it's not always possible to take the controls oneself, as the test track might be behind the counter and the shop is understandably reluctant to allow any old Tom, Dick or Harry to go round there.

That means that (in my case) I have to ask them to run the loco at slow speed. This sometimes needs me to say, 'sorry, can you make it run even slower than that, a really slow crawl' etc.

If the first loco doesn't measure up to my expectations, then I have to ask them to demonstrate another, whilst at the same time packing the first loco away again.

Then, perhaps the second loco isn't quite good enough, so what then? Ask them to get another out of it's box? I have done that (most recently with the new black Hornby 'Lilleshall' Peckett). The patience of the person serving you is now starting to (understandably) wear a little thin. I know, I've been in that position myself, many years ago.

How far do you go, in the search for the best runner? Do you just walk away at the end of it, having got several more locos out of their box, with an impatient queue behind you in the shop?

On the other hand, shops like Hattons and Kernow are extremely good at no quibbles returns and exchanges. Agreed, the process of finding that good runner might take a little longer, but you are able to test the loco in the comfort of your own home, on your own layout and using the controller that you would normally use.

On balance, however, I think I will still mostly go and make a nuisance of myself at the local model shop, where this is possible!

• Like 1

On the other hand, shops like Hattons and Kernow are extremely good at no quibbles returns and exchanges. Agreed, the process of finding that good runner might take a little longer, but you are able to test the loco in the comfort of your own home, on your own layout and using the controller that you would normally use.

That is the real benefit of distance selling - you can buy and try with confidence - taking NHY81s experience - his locos started off fine but then stopped being fine - so a test in a shop might have indicated a general ok performance but a week later might have seen a different opinion with less likelihood of being able to return it.

But on the topic of Hatton's wholesaling  - isn't it simply a case that by allowing other shops to retail their product they cannot be accused of manipulating the market in their favour by selling popular products and reducing income for other shops through denying them product.  Big companies selling their own product can and will have a detrimental impact on smaller companies who cannot get a slice of the action, allowing other shops to also retail Hattons products supports the wider marketplace especially when Bachmann are struggling as they are at present with their factories.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You know what, I used to firmly believe in that as well and to an extent, I still do.

Like many others, no doubt, I am very particular about what constitutes a 'good runner' in terms of an RTR loco. I have stood at the counter of more than one model shop and asked to see a loco demonstrated on the shop's test track. Unfortunately it's not always possible to take the controls oneself, as the test track might be behind the counter and the shop is understandably reluctant to allow any old Tom, Dick or Harry to go round there.

That means that (in my case) I have to ask them to run the loco at slow speed. This sometimes needs me to say, 'sorry, can you make it run even slower than that, a really slow crawl' etc.

If the first loco doesn't measure up to my expectations, then I have to ask them to demonstrate another, whilst at the same time packing the first loco away again.

Then, perhaps the second loco isn't quite good enough, so what then? Ask them to get another out of it's box? I have done that (most recently with the new black Hornby 'Lilleshall' Peckett). The patience of the person serving you is now starting to (understandably) wear a little thin. I know, I've been in that position myself, many years ago.

How far do you go, in the search for the best runner? Do you just walk away at the end of it, having got several more locos out of their box, with an impatient queue behind you in the shop?

On balance, however, I think I will still mostly go and make a nuisance of myself at the local model shop, where this is possible!

The "plus" with your approach is that shops may give some "worthwhile feedback" to the manufacturers about the need to produce a saleable product.

Perhaps it's time to have "collectors' versions" (look good but don't work) and "working versions". Oh dear! I may be reinventing Design Clever.

Seriously, we are back to the old truth. Working to 00 standards and wanting the loco get round 438mm radius curves is not really compatible with something that looks right and works properly. Somewhere along the line, the manufacturers have got to make a choice between the two. At the moment, they seem to be at the point of a soggy compromise that works for nobody.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Fine in theory.But how does that stack up in the case of a model that develops a fault after a period of running ? A common failing lately has been retaining nuts on motion working loose and bringing proceedings to a sudden halt.Finding the tiny nut is no easy matter.

Giving your treasure a thorough workout before bending the plastic is not always possible.

• RMweb Premium

Gaugemaster made a similar announcement some time ago.

I suppose it's a bit different in that they already act as a distributor for various ranges - the announcement was that this would include their commissioned models.

Fascinating times.

As I have said elsewhere, one big thing that Hornby have that other companies don't is the name...but I don't think it counts for much to younger people these days.

• RMweb Gold

I was delighted to learn today that my 'local' - Alton Model Centre is going to stock Hatton's exclusives. I have been thinking of ordering some more Warwells and now I can pick up some more whilst making a visit to Paul for other bits and pieces. I think it's the obvious development for Hattons, this will greatly increase the exposure of their own products to the general public who do not regularly buy modelling magazines or read RMweb - and there are more of them than whose of us who do realise.

We do indeed live in interesting times.

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1