Peco OHLE

reevesthecat

Clive, just posted a list on the DEMU forum. I assume it is Mk3 stuff? The list in 4mm is:

Double sided masts Pack of 5
Double Armed masts Pack of 5
End mast with Tension Weight Pack of 5
2/3/4 span H section gantry
Wires 135mm Pack of 10
Wires 152mm Pack of 10
Wires 174mm Pack of 10
Wires 200mm Pack of 10

Wire sections seem very short!

Guy

Edited by lyneux

Guy

They are but they are covering the set track market no doubt.....for those with wider curves and more space some 400mm or 500mm lengths would be useful....they might follow if people buy the new stuff.....

• RMweb Premium

Clive, just posted a list on the DEMU forum. I assume it is Mk3 stuff? The list in 4mm is:

Double sided masts Pack of 5
Double Armed masts Pack of 5
End mast with Tension Weight Pack of 5
2/3/4 span H section gantry
Wires 135mm Pack of 10
Wires 152mm Pack of 10
Wires 174mm Pack of 10
Wires 200mm Pack of 10

Guy

Hi Guy

What do they mean by double sided mast? Double armed mast, are they suitable for OLE above points or for overlap as the two types are different?

I hope the girder spans are not the Mk1 seen in earlier post on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16442-Dapol-announce-oo-ole/?p=881872 as explained in later post on that thread, Mk1 and Mk3 systems not normally seen together.

As for the length of the span wires, from http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71391-british-railways-ole-part-one-plain-track/

Mast Spacing

The distance between each mast is called the span. Masts are spaced the maximum distance apart where possible. The maximum design span is 73m (958mm in 4mm scale),and the minimum is 13m (170mm in 4mm scale). Were mast are of unequal distance apart the difference between them must not be over 20m (262mm).  There are many governing factors, which determine the distance for each span, these include the physical layout of the railway, where the points and junctions are, over bridges, under bridges and viaducts, stations, signals, gradients etc. Another important factor on the real railway is side wind, not a problem with model railways but one worth considering if you are modelling a line going across exposed fells or the fens. When the span is being calculated the “blow off”, sideways displacement of the contact wire due to strong wind should not allow the wire to go outside the pantograph sweep and the two loose contact with each other.  So in areas of high cross winds the spans are reduced in length.

I for one look forward to seeing what they produce.

• RMweb Gold

135mm wire length is very short.....

Thinking Dapol have tested them on 1st radius track ensuring the pantograph sweep stays in tolerance.still i think such close spacing on those train set curves isnt going to look very good.

Dead right. It will look like the forest of posts that exists on some parts of Manchester Tramlink.

It's a complete waste of time trying to arrange for pantograph to stay in contact with the wire at any radius below about 4'. Much better to lock the pantograph so that it is running just below the wire.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dead right. It will look like the forest of posts that exists on some parts of Manchester Tramlink.

It's a complete waste of time trying to arrange for pantograph to stay in contact with the wire at any radius below about 4'. Much better to lock the pantograph so that it is running just below the wire.

Less than 2ft maybe, but it's not that much of an issue above that. This is around 2ft radius curves, it doesn't look wildly over full of masts to me

post-6674-0-35352600-1395587616_thumb.jpg

Andi

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time to revive this thread ..... and it's good news for modellers of UK OHLE!

I attended this year's Warley exhibition and didn't see it .. but apparently on the PECO stand, a range/demo of UK OHLE was displayed, a revival of the previously announced but paused range from about 2009.

I contacted PECO direct to ask about the OHLE seen at Warley and they kindly replied to say that they are planning to develop and release a 'robust and quality' catenary system in conjuction with Sommerfeldt for OO modellers with further details to be published in the February edition of the Railway Modeller.

Fantastic news!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Time to revive this thread ..... and it's good news for modellers of UK OHLE!

I attended this year's Warley exhibition and didn't see it .. but apparently on the PECO stand, a range/demo of UK OHLE was displayed, a revival of the previously announced but paused range from about 2009.

I contacted PECO direct to ask about the OHLE seen at Warley and they kindly replied to say that they are planning to develop and release a 'robust and quality' catenary system in conjuction with Sommerfeldt for OO modellers with further details to be published in the February edition of the Railway Modeller.

Fantastic news!

Photos here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105564-peco-overhead-gantries/

• 4 months later...

Will this include a range of circular steel piles in assorted heights and plywood squares for planting randomly in the cess ??  :nono:

This is what you get in the de-luxe detailing pack. Unfortunately I've lost the instructions......

post-6880-0-92291400-1461259197.jpg

It does looks like you have to fabricate the octagonal plywood covers yourself though. 

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Surprised this isn't up already. My dad brought round new Railway Modeller (March), and in the news section Peco are hoping to release a double track OHL gantry by the end of year and also an extension kit. Can't see anything on their website though!

I clocked this today - there's also a photo of a 3D printed example in the article. This is fantastic news! For anyone wondering, it's the original 'lattice' style gantry that is being produced. It's gonna save me a lot of work compared with the NBrass stuff.

Peco website appears to have gone AWOL; hopefully just down for site maintenance.

Peco website appears to have gone AWOL; hopefully just down for site maintenance.

Supposed to be a new website coming soon - much richer and easier to navigate. Could this be it?

Edit - no, not quite yet... :scratchhead:

Edited by Pint of Adnams

• RMweb Premium

Looks half decent.

One problem I can think of, it looks like Mk1. Their cantilevers are supposed to be Mk3. There are some lattice type portals used with Mk3 but they have the same registration arms as found on headspan mast.

The only places where you find Mk1 with Mk3 is where the two systems butt on to each other, Upminster, Colchester, Bishops Stortford, Angel Road, Cheshunt, Copper Mil Junction, and Weaver Junction readily spring to mind. They are not mixed, they go from Mk1 masts to Mk3 masts in one span. It would work if the main line was Mk1 and there was a branch that was Mk3 like at Witham where the Braintree branch diverges.

post-16423-0-49531200-1488071635_thumb.png

Mk1 portal

post-16423-0-37672400-1488071722_thumb.png

Mk3 portal mast, this is girder type but the registration arms are the same for the Mk3 lattice portals.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Clive, looking at the photo and comparing that to your Mk1 drawing, I see not too much difference (mostly the masts). IMO Peco did a credible model for UK catenery. :yes:

The mast looks very good, the registration arms don't look quite right, mainly because it appears they are going to use the same wires as they have for the cantilever mast. The system height looks too short. It is a Mk1 mast. Their cantilever mast are Mk3. Mixing Mk1 OLE with Mk3 is like running a train with HST power cars and Stanier porthole coaches.......wrong.

Mk3 multitrack mast are normally headspan.

post-16423-0-18894000-1488096417_thumb.png

Why not produce something compatible with their existing range?

Mk1 portals will be very welcomed by those who model south of Weaver Junction.

Good Morning all,

I have to say i am very much looking forward to the release of these mast, Egyptian Hill being set around London with a west coast flavour the plan has always been to use the mk1 portals. I understand where Clive is coming from with the mk1/mk3 but maybe by doing mk1/mk3 this appeals to different audiences. Such as those who want to buy a HST or those who to buy stranier coaches. I am happy with this announcement and look forward to seeing it today at the show.

Benjamin