Peco OHLE

reevesthecat

• RMweb Gold

If you look back at the original photo, you will see that what is being shown is a two track portal with an extension, so it seems someone at Peco has considered the expansion of the system components from the start - which has to be a good thing.

Pity they didn't show the basic two track portal as well while they were at it.

On the real railway is there, anywhere in the UK, such a two-track portal of Mk1 heavy type construction?

Andi

• 2 weeks later...

Back to post N° 99  Mk3 British OLE is superficially very similar to typical SNCF 25kV OLE.  That is from where 25kV 50Hz. came from.  The height of the wire is different to allow for taller French loading gauge. 

You can tell travelling from Paris to London by Eurostar. 

Indeed French HO masts could do at first approximation for OO British layouts.

Not so using other countries masts such as the Dutch, German, Swiss not to mention the peculiar FS Italian masts and hangers all modelled by Sommerfeldt.

Sommerfeldt seem to be the experts of OLE !

Instead French 1500V DC is very different if not anything else for its thick wire which is easier to model to scale, A bit like the old Woodhead line.

Hence I think PECO are going to do a good job.

Edited by FNM600

• 9 months later...

Struggling to find any updates on this online. 

Has anybody seen any updates from Peco?

Must admit I'd be interested to find out more about what is involved in putting them together (much soldering = I'm out...) and likely delivery dates (if at all) before I firm up on my track plans!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now the Hornby 87 is out, an update on this would be useful....

Illustrated on p108 of the new Peco catalogue and priced in the accompanying price list, due late 2018: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137485-new-peco-catalogue-2018/

Product codes:

LC-100 starter pack of 12 masts, 12 registration arms, installation jig and fully illustrated manual £94.50

LC-110 single mast & arm £8.35

LC-115 pack of 5 mast installation jigs £2.10

Overhead contact wires (packs of 5):

LC-150 200mm £11.80

LC-151 260mm £12.50

LC-152 340mm £12.95

LC-153 380mm £13.75

LC-154 500mm £14.75

Portals (multi-track gantry, fine etched brass, steel and plastic, based on WCML prototypes):

LC-120 four-track (not in price list)

LC-121 two-track (ditto)

Remember one of the first modern layouts to use OHLE was the Model Railway Club's "New Annington". This used a mixture of Sommerfeld SNCF masts and home-built cross spans. We used Sommerfeld insulators and wires. It worked remarkably well though we did have a few dewirements during every show. The OHLE was not live and terminated in the tunnel on each side of the layout.

I suspect we did lighten the pantograph springs as the locos were a mixture of Trix AL1/81s that I'd had for years, Hornby 86s and Lima 87s. All ran remarkably well. We had locos fitted with working Brecnock-Willis pantographs built by John Hewitt.

It'll be interesting to see how Peco's product pans out...

So they are still progressing albeit with all the urgency of a lethargic slug hitching a ride on a glacier.

Whilst rapidly introducing and expanding the OO Code 75 bullhead track range, assimilating and working on expanding the Parkside ranges in three scales, introducing other product ranges including electronic control system components and all the while maintaining the existing extensive range of products and supplies to the worldwide dealer network...

Late 2018 is almost upon us.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As it's been over 18 months since the portals were first mooted at ScotRail last year I thought I'd contact Peco for an update.  Basically they replied that there isn't one.  Looks like they might have died a death.  Same though as I need to start building something similar very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

As it's been over 18 months since the portals were first mooted at ScotRail last year I thought I'd contact Peco for an update.  Basically they replied that there isn't one.  Looks like they might have died a death.  Same though as I need to start building something similar very soon.

I too was a bit concerned about the overhead range - so i made a point of chatting to PECO at Warley a month or two ago and the representative was adamant that they are still committed to both manufacturing and developing further items (specifically mentioned the 'gantry' type OLE structure). Hopefully this remains true.

nice one as we have the 350 emu, 85 and 87 with the new 90 arriving shortly followed by the Heljan 86/0 and more 85s and 87s in the pipeline......and I dare say that will be bolstered by other surprise announcements in the course of the next year or 2.

• 1 month later...

I asked the helpful chap on the stall about these. He said the manufacture was originally intended to be Sommerfeldt, then changed to Ratio, now they've decided to use Sommerfeldt again, and that decision had only recently been taken. He thought they would appear in the second half of the year.

Stu

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...

Any ideas of when these

On 23/02/2019 at 12:20, 50149 said:

Picture of the Gantry from Model Rail Scotland.

98268C6F-530C-4239-ADAB-A4938E020CDF.jpeg

DE02199C-2BCC-42A7-A329-ECF93D8EAEEC.jpeg

Does anyone know when these will be available? I've seen previews in some online shops but no mention of when they'll be available.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I emailed Peco to enquire about when and indeed if we would ever see LC 120 / 121 and have been informed that production has been put back to 2020.  With all the recent electric releases they're missing a trick IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...