Z21 and bus connectors

Junctionmad

I installed a Z21 recently ( two actually a black and a white ) 

Looking at the black one , I see it has X-BUS , -R-BUS and L-BUS, which I presume are Xpressnet , Loconet and I presume R-BUS is Rocos 

Is the specs for R-BUS in the public domain , I know X-BUS and L-BUS are.

What is the " sniffer bus " and is the spec for that available , i.e. the protocol etc 

Thanks 

Dave 

Edited by Junctionmad

The sniffer bus is as the name suggests used for sniffing other system busses which would allow the Z21 to issue the control commands that are being sent out by another system

Useful if you are using the Z21 as a seperate power district but need the control from another system.

Have to say I haven’t seen a reason to use it, but I am sure there is someone who has :)

Edit - should have said that r-bus is indeed a ROCO proprietary bus which they are starting to make accessories to use on - first one being their 8 port occupancy detector.

The L-Bus is LocoNet-T only and cannot be used with any LocoNet-B devices. There was meant to be a T to B adapter but it hasn’t appeared (yet?)

Edited by WIMorrison

The sniffer bus is as the name suggests used for sniffing other system busses which would allow the Z21 to issue the control commands that are being sent out by another system

Useful if you are using the Z21 as a seperate power district but need the control from another system.

Have to say I haven’t seen a reason to use it, but I am sure there is someone who has :)

Edit - should have said that r-bus is indeed a ROCO proprietary bus which they are starting to make accessories to use on - first one being their 8 port occupancy detector.

The L-Bus is LocoNet-T only and cannot be used with any LocoNet-B devices. There was meant to be a T to B adapter but it hasn’t appeared (yet?)

I understand now the sniffer bus takes in DCC signals which the Z21 can replicate

The z21.eu website has many illustrations and answers about connecting the Z21 or z21 and the differences between them

'The definitive source' - although they do appear to  have  taken their time at removing out-of-date FAQ answers - such as how a MultiCentralepro can be connected to allow use of the Blue Multimaus Pro (ZigBee) handsets - and perhaps also therefore Rocomotion s/w??? ...  initially no ability, then via the Sniffer bus  (which is obviously ONE WAY communication only, and NOW via the EXT connector on the MCP to the L-BUS on the Z21.

(I've just rechecked, and think the earlier answers have now been deleted - the sniffer us of course remaining for 'other' dcc systems)

(I must try the Ext-Lnet connection and see what CAN be done on the old unit - such as retaining Rocomotion s/w - I'm looking forward to thnext App for the Z21 which I hope will recombine features from the first 2 versions - the ability to load a background image of the layout  (track, stations, scenery labels etc from any drawing program (as a jpeg) - as in the 1st version, and with the improved active track overlay of version 2

• 2 weeks later...

The z21.eu website has many illustrations and answers about connecting the Z21 or z21 and the differences between them

'The definitive source' - although they do appear to  have  taken their time at removing out-of-date FAQ answers - such as how a MultiCentralepro can be connected to allow use of the Blue Multimaus Pro (ZigBee) handsets - and perhaps also therefore Rocomotion s/w??? ...  initially no ability, then via the Sniffer bus  (which is obviously ONE WAY communication only, and NOW via the EXT connector on the MCP to the L-BUS on the Z21.

(I've just rechecked, and think the earlier answers have now been deleted - the sniffer us of course remaining for 'other' dcc systems)

(I must try the Ext-Lnet connection and see what CAN be done on the old unit - such as retaining Rocomotion s/w - I'm looking forward to thnext App for the Z21 which I hope will recombine features from the first 2 versions - the ability to load a background image of the layout  (track, stations, scenery labels etc from any drawing program (as a jpeg) - as in the 1st version, and with the improved active track overlay of version 2

Does the current version (1.0.6) of the App not allow the background photo to be used? I have purchased a Z21 Black box but the instructions given show different screenshots to those appearing on my tablet? The current version provides point-work templates but they are difficult to form into track-work such as cross-overs/routes etc. Thanks for any help.