End of steam shunting and goods - small

MrDobilina

Hey guys, 

After a false start with a different layout

I'm wanting to try to mix passenger and freight, as well as country and industrial and feel this is a great way to do this - it might not be real world accurate but I think it should be fun.

The orange on the left are houses - low relief, the purple is a signal box, the red a platform crane - to allow loading of local goods that can be directly accessed by the road there, and the yellow are platforms. The cyan around the edge is the backscene that wraps around to the front to hopefully hide the edges a little better. 

This is all based on a design by @Harlequin done in my design thread here

Some details about era etc:

End of steam - Jinty/3mt/green early 08 are my current stock of locos

Area - somewhere in the midlands, not a particularly well used line, supports local business and a small number of passengers - I haven't figured a work around for how the passengers would get from the plat form to the road - perhaps there is a walk through along the nearside edge, with them leaving the platform just off scene to the right.

Pictures added are of the general plan, the base of the layout, the layout marked out on the base, and the track prepared before soldering. 

I'll update this as I go along, but thoughts and ideas/concerns are welcome!

post-33226-0-61801400-1540984201_thumb.jpg

post-33226-0-09385800-1540984214_thumb.jpg

post-33226-0-58743300-1540984225_thumb.png

post-33226-0-27377600-1540984236_thumb.jpg

post-33226-0-40592900-1540984254_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I like the look of your plan, what size is it? I would extend the siding on the top right of the layout and maybe would not have used a y point for the top left siding, just a left hand point so it doesn't have a ''kink'' in it. I'll be following this with interest as I'm always thinking about building a small station myself. 

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Or another 3-way to replace the Y; this would give you the opportunity of an industrial branch running on to the fiddle yard, and retain a siding in this areal.  It also might be worth shortening the two bottom sidings so that you can include a headshunt here; this will allow a pick up loco to work these sidings independent of the running lines and means that you do not have to restrict yourself to 'one engine in steam' operation.  These small locations could be quite busy, as they needed frequent clearing to be able to carry on working.  The scenic approach should, IMHO, provide some clue as to the reason for the restricted space; the thing looks unfeasibly and unprototypically small otherwise.  

I like the look of your plan, what size is it? I would extend the siding on the top right of the layout and maybe would not have used a y point for the top left siding, just a left hand point so it doesn't have a ''kink'' in it. I'll be following this with interest as I'm always thinking about building a small station myself. 

Steve.

Thanks for the suggestion! So far the Y is there to allow for a signal box between the short siding and the 3 way point and that siding is designed now to provide coal and maybe water too.

It's 5' x 1'6''.

Or another 3-way to replace the Y; this would give you the opportunity of an industrial branch running on to the fiddle yard, and retain a siding in this areal.  It also might be worth shortening the two bottom sidings so that you can include a headshunt here; this will allow a pick up loco to work these sidings independent of the running lines and means that you do not have to restrict yourself to 'one engine in steam' operation.  These small locations could be quite busy, as they needed frequent clearing to be able to carry on working.  The scenic approach should, IMHO, provide some clue as to the reason for the restricted space; the thing looks unfeasibly and unprototypically small otherwise.  

I'm not sure I understand the y to 3way suggestion sorry! Still pretty new to this.

For a head shunt would a left point be ok coming off the 3 way to provide a head shunt then the curved point coming off the left?

A concept for when I have more room is to be able to have a second board to the right of the current board to extend the scene - but that's a long way down the line. (hah  :sarcastichand:  )

edit

Something like this?

pl2.png

Edited by MrDobilina
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestion! So far the Y is there to allow for a signal box between the short siding and the 3 way point and that siding is designed now to provide coal and maybe water too.

It's 5' x 1'6''.

I'm not sure I understand the y to 3way suggestion sorry! Still pretty new to this.

For a head shunt would a left point be ok coming off the 3 way to provide a head shunt then the curved point coming off the left?

A concept for when I have more room is to be able to have a second board to the right of the current board to extend the scene - but that's a long way down the line. (hah  :sarcastichand:  )

edit

Something like this?

pl2.png

That's pretty much what I had in mind, Mr Doblina, and I like the 'flow' of the station throat.  Good bit of potential there, you can, if you wanted there could be 3 locos operating simultaneously, one running the main line, one shunting the 'bottom' yard, and one working the industrial branch.  This is very good stuff for a 'beginner'!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That's pretty much what I had in mind, Mr Doblina, and I like the 'flow' of the station throat.  Good bit of potential there, you can, if you wanted there could be 3 locos operating simultaneously, one running the main line, one shunting the 'bottom' yard, and one working the industrial branch.  This is very good stuff for a 'beginner'!

Thanks! I've stuck with the wye point in the top left as I already had it from the previous failed layout. Couldn't really justify the cost right now.

My worry currently is the scenic break on the right hand side. platform buildings seem the most logical idea for now - I may expand the layout to the right once I have a new house sorted and a more permanent setting for the layout.

• RMweb Gold

The obvious thing is station buildings on a road bridge over the top of the platforms, but that's a bit of a cliche.  How about an ordinary road bridge, but angled away from the viewing side.

Or model it as an uncompromising terminus for now, with a boundary wall across the end.

• Like 1

Just a quick update, last night I drilled holes for the dropper wires and the point motors.

Need to make holes for the kadee magnets near some points.

I've bought a Cobalt AD8fx DCC Decoder which should allow me to connect my Hornby select to the points to switch them by address rather than having to build a control panel.

Need to get some track pins to secure the track too.

Once all that's done the track should nearly be finished :)

The obvious thing is station buildings on a road bridge over the top of the platforms, but that's a bit of a cliche.  How about an ordinary road bridge, but angled away from the viewing side.

Or model it as an uncompromising terminus for now, with a boundary wall across the end.

I think the boundary wall on the far right side will be the way to go forward for now which will be on the right hand backscene.
Edited by MrDobilina

Just a little update on the plan - rough of course and when the track is laid will likely be a guideline only - not experienced in getting the track perfect! The blue rectangles are the magnet locations - might need moving as I'm not sure if they are in good locations.

post-33226-0-15089800-1541761579_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

The blue squares are uncoupling magnets, right?  If so, their positions do not make sense, as if you uncouple stock in those positions it will 'foul' the points and you will not be able to shunt around it.  As an example, passenger train arrives from fiddle yard and runs into platform road, loco coming to a stand close to buffers so that the passengers do not have so far to walk to the exit.  Imaginary passengers get off, imaginary staff close the doors, and the loco 'sets back' with the stock until the leading coach reaches the clearing point at which the loco will be able to pass safely when it runs around; this is about 6 inches to the left of the point frog.  This is where the loco needs to uncouple from the stock, so the magnet needs to be here, not underneath the point.  It is, obviously, important that the rear of the train does not foul the 3-way at the other end of the loop, or the loco will not be able to run around.

The loco uncouples, draws forward, the release crossover is switched for it to run around the train, which it proceeds to do.

Your other magnets need similar repositioning, and 2 of them, under the station throat 3-way and engine release points, are probably not needed at all.  They need to be where the stock can be uncoupled and left standing clear of other traffic 'behind' the points.  

To find your exact 'clearing points', sellotape pencils or felt tips to the centre of your longest coach, one in the middle and one at the end on each side, 4 in all.  Then gently push the coach around the entire layout with the pencils or felt tips leaving marks on the baseboard where the coach sticks out or hangs in on curvature.  Where these lines intersect, there is the possibility of stock hitting other stock, and if you leave a small extra allowance you should have no trouble.  It will also show you if there is sufficient clearance for the double track section in the loop, but to judge from the photos you're probably ok here anyway.  You have room for two bogie coaches or probably 6 'normal' sized traditional freight wagons in a train, not much more or you'll box yourself in, when the clearances are taken in to account. sufficient for a small but potentially busy BLT.  You can handle a 3 or possibly 4 car dmu or auto, as this does not need to run around, but the layout will look a bit over crowded with 4 coach trains and I'd personally advise against it.

The blue squares are uncoupling magnets, right?  If so, their positions do not make sense, as if you uncouple stock in those positions it will 'foul' the points and you will not be able to shunt around it.  As an example, passenger train arrives from fiddle yard and runs into platform road, loco coming to a stand close to buffers so that the passengers do not have so far to walk to the exit.  Imaginary passengers get off, imaginary staff close the doors, and the loco 'sets back' with the stock until the leading coach reaches the clearing point at which the loco will be able to pass safely when it runs around; this is about 6 inches to the left of the point frog.  This is where the loco needs to uncouple from the stock, so the magnet needs to be here, not underneath the point.  It is, obviously, important that the rear of the train does not foul the 3-way at the other end of the loop, or the loco will not be able to run around.

The loco uncouples, draws forward, the release crossover is switched for it to run around the train, which it proceeds to do.

Your other magnets need similar repositioning, and 2 of them, under the station throat 3-way and engine release points, are probably not needed at all.  They need to be where the stock can be uncoupled and left standing clear of other traffic 'behind' the points.  

To find your exact 'clearing points', sellotape pencils or felt tips to the centre of your longest coach, one in the middle and one at the end on each side, 4 in all.  Then gently push the coach around the entire layout with the pencils or felt tips leaving marks on the baseboard where the coach sticks out or hangs in on curvature.  Where these lines intersect, there is the possibility of stock hitting other stock, and if you leave a small extra allowance you should have no trouble.  It will also show you if there is sufficient clearance for the double track section in the loop, but to judge from the photos you're probably ok here anyway.  You have room for two bogie coaches or probably 6 'normal' sized traditional freight wagons in a train, not much more or you'll box yourself in, when the clearances are taken in to account. sufficient for a small but potentially busy BLT.  You can handle a 3 or possibly 4 car dmu or auto, as this does not need to run around, but the layout will look a bit over crowded with 4 coach trains and I'd personally advise against it.

Good tips! I was thinking though that I would uncouple and push back.

Train enters from the left onto the middle platform with the engine at the front, pulls over the point, pushes the stock back in front of the platform then pulls forward and around.

Train enters from the left onto the run around and decouples 2 out of 4 wagons using the cross over magnet by pulling into the end loading area. Then pushes back into the top left sidingleaving 2 wagons, it can then pull forward with the remaining wagons and uncouple again in the cross over magnet.

then push back and leave them in between the wye and the crossover. then run around through the main platform and push back into end loading platform.

Would that not work? Then engine release points one I had thought I’d need to leave wagons in the end loading bay top right.

• RMweb Gold

I have 2 objections to 'uncoupling and pushing back'.  Firstly, it won't work, because as soon as the vehicles are clear of the magnet they will re-couple (I am assuming you are using tension locks; not sure about Kaydees but think they work in the same way).  This will result in your having to pull forward on to the uncoupling magnet to uncouple again, and continually repeat the performance, which may have some comedy value but I suspect that the joke will pall fairly quickly.  Secondly, it is not a recreation of prototype practice, whereas my method is, well, to a closer extent anyway.

To analyse your example, you enter from the left with a 4 wagon goods, which runs into the runaround loop.  You uncouple the rear two wagons (and presumably the brake van) leaving them on what you are calling the crossover; this means the Y point exiting the runaround.  Then you draw forward towards the loading bay prior to setting back into the 'top' siding with presumably 2 coal wagons.  But you can't; the Y is blocked by the rear of the train sitting on it.  If by crossover you mean the 3 way, it can be done, but has no advantage over my method and blocks any other movement, such as the departure of a passenger train which has been waiting in the platform for the freight to clear the section.

How are you going to uncouple the coal wagons and leave them by the staithes, assuming that is what the black on the plan represents?  As soon as you push them into the coal siding, they will recouple.  Similar case for all your sidings; you need to work out where the wagons are to be stabled for loading, unloading, or storage, and put the magnets there, not under the points where actually there is no need to uncouple at all.  

To work your 4 wagon goods, run into the loop and run around.  Shunt the loading bay, then run around again to shunt the coal siding, leaving the brake van at the buffer stop end of the platform road where it will be at the correct end of the train you are going to make up with the outgoing wagons for the return working.  It's a bit like chess, you have to think a few moves ahead so you don't block yourself in, but that's the fun!

I do not use uncoupling magnets or ramps, because I prefer the flexibility that uncoupling by hand offers; I can leave stock anywhere I want on my layout.  I use tension locks and an uncoupling hook, a penlight with a piece of stiff wire attached to it.  You lift the tension lock hooks over the bars and draw forward, a very railway-like way of doing things.  Coupling is, of course, automatic.  Some people prefer the use of a 'spade' that you insert between the vehicles from the side, lifting the hooks by pushing up the counterweight droppers in much the same way as an uncoupling ramp, and these are easier to use where access from overhead is compromised, such as coupling stock with corridor connections to a GW tank engine with an overhanging bunker, but of course you need to take into consideration that you need space at the side to access the coupling, and some places on my layout, such as the loading bay, do not allow this.  I am considering the installation of one magnet, however, at the one spot that always requires an uncoupling operation, where the loco detaches from the stock prior to running around a passenger train in the platform road.  

I probably won't, though; I can wield the shunting stick quite easily and effectively.

You may not be able to do this if you cannot easily access the top or side, or prefer to avoid the intrusion of the 'hand of god' and want to automate the process as much as possible.  This would be essential if your hand/eye co-ordination isn't up to it; this is the reason I had to 'revert' to tension locks after many years of using 'scale' couplings, which had to be coupled with the hook as well.

My objections and comments should of course at all times be subservient to Rule 1.

I have 2 objections to 'uncoupling and pushing back'.  Firstly, it won't work, because as soon as the vehicles are clear of the magnet they will re-couple (I am assuming you are using tension locks; not sure about Kaydees but think they work in the same way).  This will result in your having to pull forward on to the uncoupling magnet to uncouple again, and continually repeat the performance, which may have some comedy value but I suspect that the joke will pall fairly quickly.  Secondly, it is not a recreation of prototype practice, whereas my method is, well, to a closer extent anyway.

To analyse your example, you enter from the left with a 4 wagon goods, which runs into the runaround loop.  You uncouple the rear two wagons (and presumably the brake van) leaving them on what you are calling the crossover; this means the Y point exiting the runaround.  Then you draw forward towards the loading bay prior to setting back into the 'top' siding with presumably 2 coal wagons.  But you can't; the Y is blocked by the rear of the train sitting on it.  If by crossover you mean the 3 way, it can be done, but has no advantage over my method and blocks any other movement, such as the departure of a passenger train which has been waiting in the platform for the freight to clear the section.

How are you going to uncouple the coal wagons and leave them by the staithes, assuming that is what the black on the plan represents?  As soon as you push them into the coal siding, they will recouple.  Similar case for all your sidings; you need to work out where the wagons are to be stabled for loading, unloading, or storage, and put the magnets there, not under the points where actually there is no need to uncouple at all.  

To work your 4 wagon goods, run into the loop and run around.  Shunt the loading bay, then run around again to shunt the coal siding, leaving the brake van at the buffer stop end of the platform road where it will be at the correct end of the train you are going to make up with the outgoing wagons for the return working.  It's a bit like chess, you have to think a few moves ahead so you don't block yourself in, but that's the fun!

I do not use uncoupling magnets or ramps, because I prefer the flexibility that uncoupling by hand offers; I can leave stock anywhere I want on my layout.  I use tension locks and an uncoupling hook, a penlight with a piece of stiff wire attached to it.  You lift the tension lock hooks over the bars and draw forward, a very railway-like way of doing things.  Coupling is, of course, automatic.  Some people prefer the use of a 'spade' that you insert between the vehicles from the side, lifting the hooks by pushing up the counterweight droppers in much the same way as an uncoupling ramp, and these are easier to use where access from overhead is compromised, such as coupling stock with corridor connections to a GW tank engine with an overhanging bunker, but of course you need to take into consideration that you need space at the side to access the coupling, and some places on my layout, such as the loading bay, do not allow this.  I am considering the installation of one magnet, however, at the one spot that always requires an uncoupling operation, where the loco detaches from the stock prior to running around a passenger train in the platform road.  

I probably won't, though; I can wield the shunting stick quite easily and effectively.

You may not be able to do this if you cannot easily access the top or side, or prefer to avoid the intrusion of the 'hand of god' and want to automate the process as much as possible.  This would be essential if your hand/eye co-ordination isn't up to it; this is the reason I had to 'revert' to tension locks after many years of using 'scale' couplings, which had to be coupled with the hook as well.

My objections and comments should of course at all times be subservient to Rule 1.

First off I love this response and thank you very much for it!

Kadee couplers don’t relock when off the magnet as the knuckle is closed differently to when they’re coupled. Meaning you can push back and move forward without the wagons recouping if you start to move backcwhislt still over the magnet. I agree, if you push back past the magnet then draw forward and push back again they will recouple but pulling forward and then pushing back over the magnet opens the knuckle.

Sorry it’s hard to explain!

Here is an example of the kadee knuckle coupling:

https://youtu.be/fWr6WOlnVGk

I’ll reply fully in a bit - I’m just wondering if you didn’t realise the above was possible that there might be whyim confused or maybe this still won’t work and I’m just looking st it all wrong still!

• RMweb Gold

In that case it'll work with Kaydees, but I still think your magnets are not in the right places!  

Try out the operating before you build the layout; draw out the track plan on a piece of card, and cut card pieces to represent the vehicles, then push them around to see what can be pushed where.  This will very quickly identify where the fouling points are going to be (though not exactly; it'll be slightly different when you build it) and what moves you can make without blocking yourself in.  You can colour the pieces with felt tip to represent different types of vehicles; it's a brilliant way to attract strange looks on the train...

The places where uncoupling needs to be done can then be readily identified; for instance I think you need one to the left of the 3 way so that you can leave part of the freight train in the section out of the way while you shunt the coal road and the others.   

If it's important to you, have a think about how the branch is signalled.  Many were worked 'one engine in steam', which meant that some signalling requirements are relaxed; it means that only one locomotive capable of moving under it's own power can be allowed on to the branch at any one time, which it then has to itself and does not have to be protected by the block regulations and interlocking from other movements.  A busier branch, where for example a passenger train can proceed on to the branch as soon as a freight clears into the loop and the tokens have been exchanged, requires a bit more thought but give more operational variety.

Edited by The Johnster

Discussion

If it's important to you, have a think about how the branch is signalled.  Many were worked 'one engine in steam', which meant that some signalling requirements are relaxed; it means that only one locomotive capable of moving under it's own power can be allowed on to the branch at any one time, which it then has to itself and does not have to be protected by the block regulations and interlocking from other movements.  A busier branch, where for example a passenger train can proceed on to the branch as soon as a freight clears into the loop and the tokens have been exchanged, requires a bit more thought but give more operational variety.

I was wondering about this to be honest. I would like to have some signals in - maybe not functional ones but at least have them in there for scenes but I have no idea where they would go or what types. I've only been in the hobby around a year or so and I am yet to learn everything to do with operations and how things are meant to work.

Would there be ground signals in the sidings and arm based ones for the main platform perhaps? 

my intention is to have a station pilot around - my 3f Jinty or my early class 08 - and have the wagons brought in and run around by larger trains like my 3MT - yes I realise this is a little mix of eras potentially but it's a bit of a this is what we had available at the time type of station I feel :) 

Is there a good book or website you might recommend?

Layout Progress report

I have made a minor change - not to the track but to the cork. I was wandering around B and Q the other day and spotted some reduced price cork - 5mm thick. This plus the existing cork gives 7mm in height from the board - or one kadee magnet depth.

This means I don't have to drill and cut a lot of holes in my board to allow the magnets to be fitted - and will allow me to have some drop off in terrain giving some better variety to the layout. I'm going to raise the track this evening and drill holes for the point motors at the same time.

I've test a small bit of track with my Hornby select dcc controller and my 3mt moves around correctly so that's some good news too. 

The controller is connected by way of one of those terminal blocks that have prongs - I can't remember the name for them - so that it can be disconnected and swapped to the programming track if I want to or to just pack things down nicely. There is a good amount of cable so that I can hold the controller and move around a bit before I tug on the connection. 

Track power is provided by way of a somewhat thick bus with feeders running off of that into normal terminal blocks and then from the terminal block into the track through the board.

All feeders have been soldered underneath the rails between sleepers so they are hard to see. The points are the only places where wires can be seen as the link between outer rail and the blade that is nearest the outer rail always are linked and the frog which is separate will be controlled by the point motor.

For delayed action couplings such as Kadees and Spratt and Winkle to mention just two you are nearly right.

The unciupling magnets should not be placed in the turn out but just befire the two of each turnout. This is so that one magnet can serve two diverging routes (Three if it is a three way point).

It may pay to think about adding a magnet part way along each of your long sidings to facilitate if any wagons have to be spotted in a specific spot ie next to coal staithes or a lorry.

If the coaches on your passenger train can fit between the two loop pointe without fouling the diverging road then I would add another magnet two the platform road so that the coaches can be dropped and left in situ without any shuffling.

Will your passenger trains be pulling any tail traffic such as vacuum a fitted wagon?

On which case think of adding a further magnet.

I understand that according to the rule book passenger trains should not be shunted with passengers on board, but I understand it did occasionally happen.

Gordon A

For delayed action couplings such as Kadees and Spratt and Winkle to mention just two you are nearly right.

The unciupling magnets should not be placed in the turn out but just befire the two of each turnout. This is so that one magnet can serve two diverging routes (Three if it is a three way point).

It may pay to think about adding a magnet part way along each of your long sidings to facilitate if any wagons have to be spotted in a specific spot ie next to coal staithes or a lorry.

If the coaches on your passenger train can fit between the two loop pointe without fouling the diverging road then I would add another magnet two the platform road so that the coaches can be dropped and left in situ without any shuffling.

Will your passenger trains be pulling any tail traffic such as vacuum a fitted wagon?

On which case think of adding a further magnet.

I understand that according to the rule book passenger trains should not be shunted with passengers on board, but I understand it did occasionally happen.

Gordon A

So more like this? 

The one under the curved point down the bottom could only go there really or I won't be able to detach any wagons into either of those sidings surely?

post-33226-0-60950700-1542124569_thumb.png

Edited by MrDobilina

Yes that looks better (Post 18). I would still put two magnets in the loop.

I agree with The Johnster's comment in post 15. Have a play with differing coloured pieces of card on a track diagram.

You may want to put a magnet in the longer sidings to save pulling back all the way back to the toe of a point to uncouple then push forward.

I would still put magnets part way along each of the two long sidings and the top left hand siding.

Have fun. 

Gordon A

Hey guys, just had a basic look at signalling. I'm pretty sure this isn't right but it's a start.

A is a starter signal for the main platform - may be a double one for both platforms
B is a ground signal to the right of the point blade for the left turn point for leaving the yard area

C is a ground signal to the right of the wye point blades for moving back onto the mainline from the run around loop

D is a ground signal to the right of the cross over for access to the run around loop

post-33226-0-81971200-1542644930_thumb.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bracket signal is one with the main post supporting a platform on which 2 or more sub posts or 'dolls' are placed; a junction signal, also called a splitting signal.  On your layout it would be behind the scenic break if this is a bridge, as the drivers could not see it properly if it was placed on the station side of the bridge.  I have one on Cwmdimbath, where the scenic break is actually a short distance past a road overbridge, so that one's view is of the back of it.  It signals trains into either the main platform road or the loop, the only possibilities from that spot, and has the taller of the dolls reading to the platform road.  On your layout, it would be a 3-way splitter, with the tall doll in the centre reading to the platform road and shorter ones on each side, that to the left reading to the loop and to the right, the bay.

An alternative is to have a single arm post with a route indicator; as you can only see the back of it it does not have to be a working route indicator.  In this case a train approaching the station has to be brought to, or near to, a stand before the signalman pulls the main arm off and indicates the route.

Ground signals B and C need to be yellow stripe discs, which can be passed at danger in the direction to which they do not apply, the headshunt and coal road respectively.  If the bay platform is to be used for trains departing into the section and not just to shunt, it needs a starter signal between the headshunt and the clearing point of the 3-way turnout, about level with the righthandmost tree.

• 2 months later...

Morning all, a hurried resposne now before the forums go down again:

I have invested in a NCE Power cab. The main reason for this is that the Cobalt 8fx accessory decoder requires EACH decoder on the strip to be set to address 198 before they can be set to a more normal accessory address.

Doing this however has meant that I can fire the points from the cab with ease and even set up a little macro to fire several points in a route to ensure correct way is adhered to. This is a massive step forward for me and I don't understand the whole thing yet BUT I have found that the trains has been running smoothly at very low speed so far, so I am excited to carry this project on.

Another step forward is that I have wired up a tortoise point motor and successfully had it switch the polarity of a point. I am waiting on some small screws and after that I can get them all attached to the base board. Along side this is that I have fitted a dcc decoder to a couple of locos and switched their direction of travel to be correct (so forward means forward!).

Oh quickly mention here that I have been fitting heat wrap to the soldered areas of the main bus to prevent shorts.

Next step is to wire all the other point motors up and then work on cable management. I'll submit some pictures when I can.

Finally, I have taken the decision to extend the head shunt across the road on the bottom edge of the layout and not replace the wye with a three way. I like the idea of the threeway but post purchasing the powercab I can't really justify the extra outlay and remodel.

I like the look of where that is going, so I will update you all when I have more! 

Feed back and concerns are accepted!!!!

Hey guys a little update. 

Currently waiting on some new wire to come through, the current wires I've used for point motors seem to snap in the chock block very easily. My droppers work fine, just the point motors are having issues. Once those are through I'll rewire the one I've done and work on getting the others reliably working. Then I may even be able to move a train around the whole layout rather than on individual lines :)