Adding second throttle to NCE Power Cab

GWR_NZ

Hi,

Couple of quick questions about adding a second throttle to a NCE Power Cab. As I understand  I need a UTP panel , a second throttle (Cab06), RJ 12 cable between the two. I also understand that  there is the option to add a power source at the UTP panel ( I understand that this is primarily if the UTP panel is greater than 30 feet from the PCP panel). Is there any advantage to adding external power if the distance is not greater than 30 feet (i.e. around 20 feet). Secondly between the the two different versions of the Cab06 - I get the impression that the potentiometer version is better than the digital encoder version. Does anyone have any practical experience with both throttles who can share their views.

Thanks,

Edmund

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, you can power the UTP but I would try using it in an unpowered state first. We temporarily added power to one of my mate's UTPs when there were problems at the extreme end of his O gauge garden layout. However, we subsequently introduced a second track power power district and that addressed the problems and the UTP is no longer powered.

You have to be mindful when powering a UTP that any RJ12 cable connected to it is connected in the appropriate socket otherwise you are effectively applying power towards the PowerCab, which the UTP's in line diode prevents, rather than boosting the power for the cab connected to the UTP. Don't ask me how I know!

We have experience of both versions of the Cab06. The potentiometer version is far, far  better because it has definite ends for the control knob to travel between so you always know that when the knob has travelled as far as it can in an anti-clockwise direction the loco should stop (dependent on the braking system the decoder is set to). The digital one provides no such assurance and you have to keep turning the knob just to be sure.

I'd suggest that you consider heading down the Pro-cab route rather than the Cab06 way. Presumably you will have two operators if you have two throttles/cabs. There are two ways for the second operator to assume "control" of a locomotive from the first operator.

They can select the loco concerned on their cab to assume that control but in doing so the loco will stop and any sound will cease.

Alternately the initial operator of the loco can transfer its control to the second operator whereupon the loco's speed and sound remain as they were. You can transfer to and from Pro-cabs & PowerCabs but you can only transfer TO the Cab06, not from it. Similarly there are only a limited number of functions available with the Cab06 which may limit what can be done to the loco by the Cab06 user.

Having been working on a layout with the same issue as described, then the Cab-06 is mostly a preference thing.   The encoder model can take over a loco "in motion" and the speed matches, but in other respects the potentiometer is probably easier to use as Ray outlines. 

Having fewer functions might be an advantage (though I think most loco functions are available with enough button pushes),  and the smaller handset might also be an advantage.   

The decision taken on the layout I'm assisting has been to use Cab-06 throughout (four, one per operator), and reserve the ProCab for programming, setup, and fault finding matters.  Potentiometer versions of the Cab-06 because if locos are handed over, they will be stationary.    The design of the layout, the style of operations, and so on will all influence the decisions.