Kit built Industrial

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the poll on Industrials seems a few people are unaware of erstwhile kits for Industrials

Used on Cwmafon (Mike Edges' layout including a steelworks and a colliery )

Puddleglum..Avonside  Centre Model white metal kit - Ks HP2M motor, Sharman wheels

post-7650-0-34677100-1541104162_thumb.jpg

Percy - Hunslet 16"  Centre Model white metal kit -Sharman wheels

post-7650-0-16571700-1541104192_thumb.jpg

Odin - RSH Centre Model white metal kit  - beam compensated chassis  Romford wheels (chassis from Mike)

post-7650-0-57229000-1541104204_thumb.jpg

Wee Fergie - Kerr Stuart Victory - white metal kit  -  Romford wheels 

post-7650-0-01331600-1541104240_thumb.jpg

For Herculaneum Dock

post-7650-0-31671800-1541104176_thumb.jpg

Agnoria Kit - Romford wheels - DCC fitted Mersey Docks and Harbour Board

Diesels

Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 - Agnoria Kit?  - built as a BR version

post-7650-0-40593400-1541104586_thumb.jpg

Judith Edge Ruston

Waiting in the wings Judith Edge Hunslet 15", 16", Impetus Bagnall, Judith Edge 67T diesel...

Yep there are a lot of Kits around.. some very difficult to find but others are easy

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4

It's the availability that's the problem. Many of the popular prototypes were made by manufacturers that have disappeared. Centre Models is a good example.

There is no currently available Hunslet Austerity kit for example. Would a kit manufacturer risk releasing a new one seeing as there are two RTR versions? Both of which have their problems.

I'll be picking up some of the Judith Edge, High Level and RT Models kits soon. They're readily available. I also believe the CSP kits are back in stock.

So enough to be getting on with.

Jason

It's the availability that's the problem. Many of the popular prototypes were made by manufacturers that have disappeared. Centre Models is a good example.

There is no currently available Hunslet Austerity kit for example. Would a kit manufacturer risk releasing a new one seeing as there are two RTR versions? Both of which have their problems.

I'll be picking up some of the Judith Edge, High Level and RT Models kits soon. They're readily available. I also believe the CSP kits are back in stock.

So enough to be getting on with.

Jason

Lots of good kits still available luckily. I think the old Airfix plastic kit still has the makings of a better Austerity than the old Dapol RTR model, and Wizard sell a Comet Chassis for it. Brassmasters used to make a kit for it although I don't think it's available now. However they did sell me a set of castings that I used on my Airfix/Perseverance Hybrid.

Looking at the poll on Industrials seems a few people are unaware of erstwhile kits for Industrials

Used on Cwmafon (Mike Edges' layout including a steelworks and a colliery )

Puddleglum..Avonside  Centre Model white metal kit - Ks HP2M motor, Sharman wheels

attachicon.gifAvonside Puddleglum No 1 (1280x726).jpg

Percy - Hunslet 16"  Centre Model white metal kit -Sharman wheels

attachicon.gifPercy No 2 (1280x637).jpg

Odin - RSH Centre Model white metal kit  - beam compensated chassis  Romford wheels (chassis from Mike)

attachicon.gifRSH Odin No 4 (1280x637).jpg

Wee Fergie - Kerr Stuart Victory - white metal kit  -  Romford wheels 

attachicon.gifWee Fergie No 3 (1280x604).jpg

For Herculaneum Dock

attachicon.gifagenoria B4.jpg

Agnoria Kit - Romford wheels - DCC fitted Mersey Docks and Harbour Board

Diesels

Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 - Agnoria Kit?  - built as a BR version

attachicon.gifIMHudswell Clark D2503 (1280x609).jpg

Judith Edge Ruston

Waiting in the wings Judith Edge Hunslet 15", 16", Impetus Bagnall, Judith Edge 67T diesel...

Yep there are a lot of Kits around.. some very difficult to find but others are easy

Baz

Baz,

All you need is the Centre Models Austerity and you have a complete set!!!

I think you are right, so long as the ebay price isn't over the available kits, these old kits are worth going after. Just so long as you know buying a Centre models RSH 0-4-0 is not the same as a Hgh Level kit, where you get a bespoke gearbox with the kit!

I have an example of each to build. The Centre Models kit will need new cylinders building as well as crossheads sourcing. Done already.

Old School modelling!!

I'm a fat Old School modeller!!!!

My Centre models Austerity must have been a 'Friday Afternoon 'kit!

the body was OK, but the whitemetal chassis! Oh My!!!!

The center wheelset was lower than the outer two! I found this out after assembling the lot!! DUH!!!!!

I learn by my mistakes!!!

I also used the recommended motor, K'S HP2!!!!!

You have to remember that we didn't have the positive plethora of tiny motors and epic drivetrains we have now!!!

She was a troubled lady!!!!

Mind you, the same weakness that killed my Centre models Kerr Stuart Victory, whitemetal chassis block wear, meant that she came into her own!!! She now runs beautifully despite the fact you could boil water using the motor after a prolonged bout of wrestling bogie bolsters!!

Yes!! you can shunt with her now!!

You have't mentioned the fabled Impetus range of kits.

Now Mike Edge has made some of the old Impetus range. I would suspect , from experience, his kits are easier to build than the Impetus ones!

There are, however some gaps left.

the Bagnall 0-6-0 ST, Bagnall 0-4-0 ST as running on Foxfield, The late big Bagnall 0-4-0 ST, brutal looking unbalanced beast, Barclay 0-4-0 Fireless loco, Fowler 0-4-0 diesel, Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 diesel, is that what your model is? Could be, unless it is the A1 models kit. Got one in the 'Loft Insulation'!!!

Simplex, PWM 651 onwards, I know mike makes the prototype, I'm running one, but this was the 'Production' job.

Finally, the Lewin Engine. now she is small and a masterpiece of kit design for the time. I'm running one and she's cool!!

My drivel brings up the fact that industrial engine modellers are freaks!!!! We love this stuff and are, I think, obsessed with our favourites, far more so than a GWR or LMS modeller. I am an LMS in BR era modeller by the way!!! So no wonder the choice list is getting a bit fraught!!!!!

While we are on old kits, the Kingdom Kits big Barclay. My mate Mike built me mine as a Christmas present, brdecked in CPC livery. wrong engine but only game in town!!! Compensated, Romfords, runs superbly!! She will come into Manchester Steel's fleet. I might even 'Wasp' her!!

Appropo the Centre Models Kitson. She might be a little large! but you have to remember there were not the wheels , gearboxes and tiny motors then!

My Kitson is the pet of Manchester Steels PW gang and with her very old drivetrain as good as anybody!!!

Photos might include an old Hamblings Knat!!! That could take us down a completely different road!

I've chucked in a comparason between my dodgy Centre Models Austerity and a Hornby one. There are , also some 'Sold Out Of Service ' options.

The 15xx is a big brutal piece of kit, but you can use her as an industrial. 

The same goes for the Sentinel. Spot the difference between the Dapol one and my Nucast one!! I freely admit I am a true Sentinel freak!!!

Bring on the the big 0-6-0 Mike!!!!!

The NER 0-4-0 is a little known K'S kit and is a legitimate industrial. Unfortunately the K'S kits are the only game in town and if they do turn up on ebay, could go stupid money!!!

Chris.

I also used the recommended motor. K'S HP2!!!!

post-17261-0-88869400-1541178768_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-65666100-1541178873_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-37154600-1541178944_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-11995500-1541179027_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-85573300-1541179132_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-97899100-1541179213_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-47463600-1541179292_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-18284300-1541179382_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-75994800-1541179454_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Baz,

All you need is the Centre Models Austerity and you have a complete set!!!

I think you are right, so long as the ebay price isn't over the available kits, these old kits are worth going after. Just so long as you know buying a Centre models RSH 0-4-0 is not the same as a Hgh Level kit, where you get a bespoke gearbox with the kit!

I have an example of each to build. The Centre Models kit will need new cylinders building as well as crossheads sourcing. Done already.

Old School modelling!!

I'm a fat Old School modeller!!!!

My Centre models Austerity must have been a 'Friday Afternoon 'kit!

the body was OK, but the whitemetal chassis! Oh My!!!!

The center wheelset was lower than the outer two! I found this out after assembling the lot!! DUH!!!!!

I learn by my mistakes!!!

I also used the recommended motor, K'S HP2!!!!!

You have to remember that we didn't have the positive plethora of tiny motors and epic drivetrains we have now!!!

She was a troubled lady!!!!

Mind you, the same weakness that killed my Centre models Kerr Stuart Victory, whitemetal chassis block wear, meant that she came into her own!!! She now runs beautifully despite the fact you could boil water using the motor after a prolonged bout of wrestling bogie bolsters!!

Yes!! you can shunt with her now!!

You have't mentioned the fabled Impetus range of kits.

Now Mike Edge has made some of the old Impetus range. I would suspect , from experience, his kits are easier to build than the Impetus ones!

There are, however some gaps left.

the Bagnall 0-6-0 ST, Bagnall 0-4-0 ST as running on Foxfield, The late big Bagnall 0-4-0 ST, brutal looking unbalanced beast, Barclay 0-4-0 Fireless loco, Fowler 0-4-0 diesel, Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 diesel, is that what your model is? Could be, unless it is the A1 models kit. Got one in the 'Loft Insulation'!!!

Simplex, PWM 651 onwards, I know mike makes the prototype, I'm running one, but this was the 'Production' job.

Finally, the Lewin Engine. now she is small and a masterpiece of kit design for the time. I'm running one and she's cool!!

My drivel brings up the fact that industrial engine modellers are freaks!!!! We love this stuff and are, I think, obsessed with our favourites, far more so than a GWR or LMS modeller. I am an LMS in BR era modeller by the way!!! So no wonder the choice list is getting a bit fraught!!!!!

While we are on old kits, the Kingdom Kits big Barclay. My mate Mike built me mine as a Christmas present, brdecked in CPC livery. wrong engine but only game in town!!! Compensated, Romfords, runs superbly!! She will come into Manchester Steel's fleet. I might even 'Wasp' her!!

Appropo the Centre Models Kitson. She might be a little large! but you have to remember there were not the wheels , gearboxes and tiny motors then!

My Kitson is the pet of Manchester Steels PW gang and with her very old drivetrain as good as anybody!!!

Photos might include an old Hamblings Knat!!! That could take us down a completely different road!

I've chucked in a comparason between my dodgy Centre Models Austerity and a Hornby one. There are , also some 'Sold Out Of Service ' options.

The 15xx is a big brutal piece of kit, but you can use her as an industrial. 

The same goes for the Sentinel. Spot the difference between the Dapol one and my Nucast one!! I freely admit I am a true Sentinel freak!!!

Bring on the the big 0-6-0 Mike!!!!!

The NER 0-4-0 is a little known K'S kit and is a legitimate industrial. Unfortunately the K'S kits are the only game in town and if they do turn up on ebay, could go stupid money!!!

Chris.

I also used the recommended motor. K'S HP2!!!!

I really am cracking up#!!

It is not a Centre models kitson, it is an Avonside!!!!!!

I'll go back to cooking my tea!!

c.

• RMweb Premium

Of course Mike has built an awful lot of Industrials. Cwmafon

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78572-cwmafon/?hl=cwmafon

and Herculaneum Dock use a lot

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98293-herculaneum-dock/

and then he started on designing kits.....

Baz

• Like 1

Of course Mike has built an awful lot of Industrials. Cwmafon

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78572-cwmafon/?hl=cwmafon

and Herculaneum Dock use a lot

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98293-herculaneum-dock/

and then he started on designing kits.....

Baz

I'm keeping on at him to do a kit for the Yorkshire Engine Co 0-4-0 ST he did for Cwmafon.

I live in hope!!!

Chris.