4 replies to this topic

#1 kandc_au

kandc_au

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 14:41

Hi all,

A question while I have started to detail the underframes, I am now in a quandry.
When you have Brake thirds r/h and l/h, The battery boxes are at the Brake end, BUT what about the dynamo and the  brake cylinders......are they reversed. ie D118 dynamo under compartment side.
So when I do the opposite type is the dynamo still under the compartment side??

Just on another thing, the handles on the sides of the coaches at the ends....In preservation are they still the same length or do they get altered. Again cannot always tell off old pics and when I look at pics of preserved coaches some are short where other coaches or the era are long.
Can get quite confusing especially if you have not grown up with them in your life (UK railways that is)

TIA

Khris

#2 81C

81C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  • Locationelsewhere

Posted 02 November 2018 - 18:10

try this website, click on products a new menu comes up and click on GWR coaches all the info is on the PDF's.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

• Thanks x 1

#3 Penrhos1920

Penrhos1920

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationTeesside - the birthplace of railways

Posted 02 November 2018 - 20:37

A little while ago I tried to workout where all the underframe gubbins went on some GWR coaches I'm building. I looked at loads of photos to see if there was a pattern, in the end I gave up as there didn't appear to be any logic to it.

The only thing that I did conclude is that the dynamo is always in the same position relative to the inner axle, so there is never a dynamo on this side at the other end.
IMG_0633.PNG
  • Thanks x 1

#4 kandc_au

kandc_au

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:02

try this website, click on products a new menu comes up and click on GWR coaches all the info is on the PDF's.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

Hi 81C<
Thanks for that but I already have these and it doesn't answer the question/s I raised.

Thanks Penrhos1920....I think I will go as best I can. If people don't agree with it THEY can change it for me :onthequiet: :onthequiet:

Khris

#5 JimC

JimC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 16:06

. If people don't agree with it THEY can change it for me

If people don't agree with it its down to them to provide the evidence its wrong...

• Agree x 2
  • Thanks x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GWR, Underframe detail, side handles