New Class 93 Tri-Mode

Posted elsewhere that Rail Operations Group are orderejng a fleet of 10 new build locos from Stadler with funding through Beacin Rail.

The class 93 will be a step up from the class 88 and feature a larger diesel PU (1800hp mooted), 25kv overhead AC and also battery power.

An interesting development and one that will be worth tracking I think

• Like 3

Posted elsewhere that Rail Operations Group are orderejng a fleet of 10 new build locos from Stadler with funding through Beacin Rail.

The class 93 will be a step up from the class 88 and feature a larger diesel PU (1800hp mooted), 25kv overhead AC and also battery power.

An interesting development and one that will be worth tracking I think

There is an mini interesting article in the November 2018 Railway Magazine which is related to the ROG group saying that they are launching 2 further companies which will see them dealing with freight, logisitcs and passenger services. I wonder if this is the reason for buying the new locomotives. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wasn't the class 93 supposed to be the Intercity 250 project several decades back?

http://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/co8357002/concept-model-british-rail-intercity-250-class-93-locomotive-concept-model

No point leaving the class number provisionally allocated to an aborted project unused.

John

• RMweb Premium

Battery too? Interesting. Wonder what sort of battery range that'll get, my assumption is that it'll be for the last mile / yard on otherwise electric routes but it would be interesting indeed if it's enough to not need the diesel engines at all on shorter non-electrified trips.

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the 66 / 88 look? Maybe because I just lump together anything without a chimney in the same pile :)

I don’t mind the look of them. But as a driver I prefer bigger side windows and a less central driving position for freight work

Having had plenty of footplate experience in the distant past, I still believe the traction cab should have two seats - one for the driver and one for the Assessor / manager / conductor driver / permanent way inspector / trainee  etc etc

The concept of sitting THE driver in the middle of the cab with a little flip down "dicky" seat for the other person suggests the designers have little concept of what a traction cab is actually used for. This especially so in the case of a fairly new traction like a erm class 93 or whatever.

Not only that, but GWR / BR(WR) excepted, the vast majority of signalling was placed on the left hand side of the track for the driver placed towards the left hand side of the cab.  Pedants - yes I know other old railways had right hand drive too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Battery too? Interesting. Wonder what sort of battery range that'll get, my assumption is that it'll be for the last mile / yard on otherwise electric routes but it would be interesting indeed if it's enough to not need the diesel engines at all on shorter non-electrified trips.

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the 66 / 88 look? Maybe because I just lump together anything without a chimney in the same pile :)

Not sure I could lump those two together looks wise.

I like the 66 look, they are getting some character as they get old and start clagging a bit