TPO Stowage Vans - printing error?

Just received my stowage vans, 39-760 and 39-765. The logos and yellow stripes are very dull when compared with those on the sorting vans. Looking at photos of the real ones this is not the case. Are mine unique or are they all like this?

Johnpost-18858-0-44115900-1541422743_thumb.jpegpost-18858-0-37972500-1541422759_thumb.jpegpost-18858-0-13790000-1541422771_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

This is going to be one of those irresolvable debates, as there are a lot of variables in play.  Subjective impressions of colour vary according to the observer, and on different occasions to the same observer, and with changing lighting conditions, and even when you can objectively demonstrate that the colour of one vehicle is not the same as the other, you then have to take into consideration that real railway vehicles, unless they have been painted at exactly the same time in the same paintshop with the same paint and coupled together in exactly the same environment ever since, are never the exact same colour because of the variable amount of weathering and fading of the paint.

If it bothers you, a light coat of weathering will effectively hide the differences; if you prefer to keep your models in mint condition you will have to live with it.  It wouldn't bother me; life's too short.

I agree that paint and applied logos can fade after a period of time in service but these are very dull when compared to the sorting vans. The Post Office red GUVs and BGs have the same bright stripes as the sorting vans so the stowage vans stick out like a sore thumb.

These vehicles were kept relatively clean so only a light weathering will be needed. This will not hide the dull logos and stripes.

I have sent the photos to Bachmann to ask for their take on it.

John

• RMweb Gold

Before you reach for the dirty spray...

It wasnt just a case of relatively clean, it was a contractual requirement that the branding of the Royal Mail service stock was kept in clean and well maintained order, more so than other service equipment.

Even upto the last day, unlike many “last days” when everything was rundown and shabby, the last TPOs were a clean and spotless affair by comparisons... this last run photo hardly looks TPOs ready for scrap..

https://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/images/tpo/tpo-swansea-250703-w.jpg

I understand that requirement has fallen onto preservation groups acquiring TPO equipment that maintained such branding has to maintained in presentable condition.

Ive not seen many weather beaten Red TPO pictures, until preservation and these are mostly faded.

As an aside, heres some last night stamps from the last Whitehaven -Huddersfield TPO.post-20773-0-45293000-1541430064_thumb.jpeg

A lot of pride went into the TPO, it wasnt just another parcels train, until 2018, that may have been the last time I did an all nighter at Preston Station.

http://www.trainweb.org/drs/Images/TPO/2.jpg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I think the should be the same. Of course colours can fade over time but both models are persumably in ex works condition. For example, the new 2Fs types are all the same colours as each other. It would be like the FO and the SO being different shades.

• RMweb Gold

Agree that  the original TPO is the right shade. The stowage van is wrong. No good saying that they have faded more. They are not just paler/dirtier but a completely different colour

One  should not  have to do work on new models but probably not too difficult to apply some transfers that are the right colour.

Just received my stowage vans, 39-760 and 39-765. The logos and yellow stripes are very dull when compared with those on the sorting vans. Looking at photos of the real ones this is not the case. Are mine unique or are they all like this?

Johnattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Being a producer of transfers, I speculate that the 'dull' markings have been applied directly to the red, instead of over a white undercoat.

Yellow is a translucent colour, and the red substrate will 'dull' the yellow markings unless white is applied first.

This may well be a case of the factory taking a short-cut to reduce the number of tampo operations involved.

I have to say that, if I had bought this model to run with the earlier production, I would be very unhappy.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

Thank you for your reply John. The more I look at them the worse they appear. The red looks nothing like the Post Office red on the sorting vans. I have contacted Bachmann who are looking into it. The options look few at the moment. I along with many others have been waiting a long time for these to appear. How long will we have to wait for a second batch that are the correct colour?

John

Johnattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Not just a Yellow issue, the Red looks a bit off as well, nice jumpers though..........

Hi Jason,

I have one of each of the red liveries. The earlier one and the later one with white in the logo. Having studied a number of photos of real TPO vans, the only differences are the style of the Royal Mail logos. The shade of red and the yellow stripes should be the same.

At the moment I am wondering what can be done to rectify the issue. I can't see Bachmann doing a re run in the near future. I am beginning to think that I will have to pay a professional painter to re spray and apply decals. Not what you expect to have to do with a new model. I would have thought Post Office red would have been a simple livery to produce, especially as the sorting vans had already been painted in this colour.

John

John

• RMweb Premium

They look far better in Blue and Grey anyway. :mosking:

Ok, I'm off an' runnin'........

You mean this version of Blue & Grey?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/DSCN2377-mail-coach_crop_b.jpg/560px-DSCN2377-mail-coach_crop_b.jpg

:jester:

Keith

EDIT this looks more like the colour of a modern PO van to me:

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/tpo/rmtpo_400.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason,

I have one of each of the red liveries. The earlier one and the later one with white in the logo. Having studied a number of photos of real TPO vans, the only differences are the style of the Royal Mail logos. The shade of red and the yellow stripes should be the same.

At the moment I am wondering what can be done to rectify the issue. I can't see Bachmann doing a re run in the near future. I am beginning to think that I will have to pay a professional painter to re spray and apply decals. Not what you expect to have to do with a new model. I would have thought Post Office red would have been a simple livery to produce, especially as the sorting vans had already been painted in this colour.

John

John

IF the problem is down to a factory error, then Bachmann might well take these models back and arrange for new bodies to be made. They did this with one of their EPBs where the running numbers got transposed while Hornby are also arranging for a batch of replacement Merchant Navy tender tops to be made following significant quality and manufacturing errors.

The downside of this however is that you could be looking at a 6-12month delay in getting a production slot to make them.

So you have a choice -

(i) Send / take  them back for a refund (including postage if ordered inline) as the product does not match the item you ordered.

(ii) Write to Bachmann stating you are not happy with the finish of these items and ask them to fix it as and when they are able to (which might be many months)

(iii) Arange a respray, etc at your own expense - but you will not be able to return them should Bachmann later decide to resolve the issue themselves.

As stated earlier, I am awaiting a reply from Bachmann.

I would expect that most buyers of these vans will be doing so in order to run them with red sorting vans which they have already bought. In this case the demand for Bachmann to resolve the issue should gain momentum.

I am curious to know if the red van with small EWS logo is the same shade of red with dull stripes etc. I have not seen any photos on Google images of any of the stowage vans in the flesh so I can only comment on the ones I have. I spoke to the retailer who sold me them and they checked another one which matched the ones I have. They are waiting to hear what Bachmann tell me.

John

Funny - Just reading this thread and both northbound & southbound Royal Mail EMU's have whizzed past my house

Realtime Trains - Boars Head GF

WTT pass   Willesden Prdc   176V ZZ Shieldmuir Mail Terminal 2012½ 2017

WTT pass   Shieldmuir Mail Terminal   175V ZZ Warrington Royal Mail(Dbs) 2014 2017½

Unfortunately not TPO's these days !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

Wonder how the paint samples for the storage vans, that were approved for manufacture, match the released product? If they don’t match, then surely Bachmann can make a claim against the factory?

I think John, post #10, hits the nail on the head, as to what’s went wrong...

I have received a reply from Bachmann which had totally fobbed me off. They claim that customer feedback on the red TPO vans has prompted them to use a different shade of red and very dull stripes etc. Also that the graphics of the stowage vans have been on their website for a long time and no one said that the colour was wrong. Looking at the website, the graphics look okay. Certainly not the shambles that I have here. I would have told them if the graphics had looked like this.

Can anyone recommend someone that can do the-sprays please?

John