TPO Stowage Vans - printing error?

• RMweb Gold

Certainly at first glance (other than the colour) they look a step up on my unfinished kit built ones, though not enough that I would sell up and replace.

Typically I have the POTs I need for my formation, and it’s the POS that I still need to buy. With the Bachmann model not available in the refurbished condition that just leaves kits (but at least that means any errors with the livery are my own...)

More comparison photos with GUV and sorting van. Cannot find any other photos of the Bachmann stowage vans on the Internet. I would have expected retailers to post photos of these items in the flesh. All that are there are the graphics used by Bachmann and shots of the real vans.

John

post-18858-0-73719200-1541593525_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-24238300-1541593552_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-21411200-1541593571_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-50265800-1541593594_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-73719200-1541593525_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-24238300-1541593552_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-21411200-1541593571_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-50265800-1541593594_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Referring to my previous post, here is a picture of the Scottish TPO southbound, at Preston, time has it as 22:40.

Note the A / B markings at the corridor bottom corner...for the correct pairings of these vehicles.

Train loco was 86416, the first vehicle looks like an Intercity NEA (BG) as guards vehicle.

Apologies for the picture quality, I was a kid on a budget with a cheap eastern European camera.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2018 at 13:11, 37501 said:

With bright yellow stripes....

I couldn't comment my camera is overexposed on Yellow from the florescent lights in that picture and the train with loco is underexposed due to the use of flash (I didn't have a tripod).

But given a time machine I will be first volunteer to take my camera from today back with me and update the pictures, and give younger self some future advice too.

:-)

But if you’d told me those 86/7s would end up in Bulgaria and instead i’d be staring at a pair of class 73's at the same spot as that 86 I'd probably not believe it anyway

The wide platforms at Preston remains, the mail offices are still there but the TPO and Brutes are long gone, as is that old cube shaped platform departures screen.

Rejoice the model, as besides memories those pictures arent coming back when I was the kid that took those pictures, this was the royal mail coach I had at home.

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R592_1579198_Qty1_1.jpg

At least the bogies were correct.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

It depends if the whole train is clean! These three coupled together. Note minor livery details such as A & B ends labeled or not, EWS logo on 80428.

Mike Wiltshire

attachicon.gif80375 NSA b.JPG

attachicon.gif80426 NTA.JPG

attachicon.gif80428 NTA.JPG

The bottom line is, though, that a train of all clean coaches should match.

The latest, non-matching models are not weathered - they just have translucent markings that don't match their predecessors.

They're just plain wrong - and all the flim-flam in the world won't disguise the fact.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Totally agree with you John. No update yet from Bachmann. Are they going to do something positive to resolve this issue or are they going to ignore it in the hope that it will go away?

Still no photos of the models online. Only the graphics used in the Bachmann website. Is there a fear that showing these will put buyers off? I bought mine only having seen the graphics and was horrified when I saw the actual items.

I will be very interested to read reviews in the various modelling magazines which will have to show photos of the vans.

John

No update yet from Bachmann. 

They have responded to you directly and also via this topic so it's more a case of the answer not being what you want it to be. They have explained the reasons why but, as a consumer, you have a choice whether to retain the model (if you bought by mail order) which would have to be taken up with the retailer.

• Like 4

Andy,

This stowage van was the missing piece of a jigsaw needed to make up an authentic TPO train. It is surely not a case of returning it to the retailer and doing without.

There are modellers on this forum who air their concerns if there is a rivet missing from the tender of a locomotive, but here we have the case of a van which looks wrong from a distance. I am not the only one who feels this way.

John

Andy,

This stowage van was the missing piece of a jigsaw needed to make up an authentic TPO train. It is surely not a case of returning it to the retailer and doing without.

There are modellers on this forum who air their concerns if there is a rivet missing from the tender of a locomotive, but here we have the case of a van which looks wrong from a distance. I am not the only one who feels this way.

John

Bachmann - head in sand, I think, on this one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I am not the only one who feels this way.

If it does not match to your satisfaction then it is a case of returning it or carrying out additional work for it to match your existing rake. Bachmann have said what they have done and why they have done it; what's done is unlikely to be changed no matter how much repetition you use.

• Like 1

I had an order for the 3 red variants but when I called in to collect them I decided that the “improved” livery was not for me. As an aside the retailer did make me aware of the issue with the colours so 10/10 to him for highlighting it to me as well as the many members on this forum. Thanks guys for the photos and discussion.

I had an order for the 3 red variants but when I called in to collect them I decided that the “improved” livery was not for me. As an aside the retailer did make me aware of the issue with the colours so 10/10 to him for highlighting it to me as well as the many members on this forum. Thanks guys for the photos and discussion.

That is the point of discussing the error here - so that prospective / pre-order customers can make an informed decision as to whether they wish to purchase the model as presented by Bachmann at the release price, or wait for the inevitable deep discounts - when they may purchase and devote some time to refinishing the model.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That is the point of discussing the error here - so that prospective / pre-order customers can make an informed decision...

...and very useful it's been too, so thanks guys. I've decided to just go for a couple of blue/grey ones for now and see whether there are any developments regarding the red ones. I would have bought at least a couple of those but I'm in no rush.

Whatever the reasoning behind Bachmann's well-intentioned decision, I can see why someone who wanted the red ones to complete a matching TPO rake would be feeling frustrated right now.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I am the same. I am not going to buy them and was planning on getting a couple. Bachmann have responded. The reason given was one of good intention but at the very least it could have been communicated earlier. Alternatively their response could be viewed with a great deal of scepticism.

Nothing more to add.

I suspect this topic will remain in the 'raised eyebrow, scratches-chin' category for a while.  However, while everyone was puzzling over the richness or otherwise of double yellow lines, I presumably missed the release of their Blue and Grey or even Royal Mail red counterparts?  Were there such a thing as Royal Mail red counterparts?  :angel:

Angelic and Quizzical of Derby

• Like 1

The stowage van produced is to Diagram 732, these were competed in November 1968 by BR York and therefore initially Blue & Grey.

Keith

Cheers Keith, that introduction date neatly rules them out of my time-frame too; no realistic or defensible chance they ran via the Waverley route during its last few weeks of operation.

Was looking forward to these, planned to get a pair of them to go with my Bachmann, Southern Pride and Modified TPO vehicles. The latter two sets were painted to match the former.

Can't say the one I saw at DEMU looked wrong, but guess I had nothing to compare it against.

Looks like I might use up some more Hachette Mk1s to make the 732s then.

Wild Boar Fell 

Bachmann made changes in the light of feedback and now it does not quite match the rest.

So here are the choices:

1/ Bachmann recall them, and reprint the bodies to the same as the previous runs --> Nah! Cannot see that happening and we would probably see complaints from those who would live it and who do not want to wait for a slot in the factory (now a long way off) to sort it

2/ you live with it

3/ you weather it

4/ you sell all the previous ones and wait for Bachmann to rerun the other coaches to the same standard as the new (if it happens)

5/ you hope they do a rerun of the POT to the previous standard (unlikely and would be a really long wait).

Seriously, now they are here, I don't see what they can do to fix it. I'll be keeping mine though as the alternative is no POT on my long awaited postal train.

• Like 1

Bachmann made changes in the light of feedback and now it does not quite match the rest.

So here are the choices:

1/ Bachmann recall them, and reprint the bodies to the same as the previous runs --> Nah! Cannot see that happening and we would probably see complaints from those who would live it and who do not want to wait for a slot in the factory (now a long way off) to sort it

2/ you live with it

X/ you re-line and re-logo it yourself - or on your behalf

3/ you weather it

4/ you sell all the previous ones and wait for Bachmann to rerun the other coaches to the same standard as the new (if it happens)

5/ you hope they do a rerun of the POT to the previous standard (unlikely and would be a really long wait).

Seriously, now they are here, I don't see what they can do to fix it. I'll be keeping mine though as the alternative is no POT on my long awaited postal train.

Edited by 'CHARD