TPO Stowage Vans - printing error?

I wrote an email of complaint to Bachmann on the livery debacle and received the same copy/paste response from them as shown in posts above.

Whilst I didn't expect anything different, I feel I needed to speak up and add weight to the argument against the change and perhaps help to influence future decisions. After all, that's what's got the livery amended in the first place.

Though I do hope they've not been speaking with Oxford Rail's Mk.3 livery "expert" :mosking:

And with ex Lms  Postals  not mk1s.  I do hope these are going to be produced in the original 60s royal mail red to match there Sorting vans.

I thought we established up-thread that this design of POT was introduced too late for Royal Mail red.  If they can be thus decorated, authentically, then I'll happily re-spray a brace of them, if they're available cut-price.   :angel:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe someone can help me, ive got the new POTs (39-750,760,765) and i have previously two POS’s to go with them.

However i’m missing something when it comes to Bachmanns releases...

Usually catalog numbers in Bachmanns ranges are consecutive when it comes to a coach, and its liveries, with A,B,C, W,Z etc for re-runs and specials.

When looking at the Royal Mail liveried POS, i see three seemingly unrelated catalog numbers...

39-420z (Modelzone)

https://www.hattons.co.uk/36325/Bachmann_Branchline_39_420Z_Mk1_TPO_sorting_van_with_in_Royal_Mail_Travelling_Post_Office_branding/StockDetail.aspx

39-422

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337577/Bachmann_Branchline_39_422_Mk1_POS_post_office_sorting_van_in_Royal_Mail_Travelling_Post_Office_livery/StockDetail.aspx

39-435

https://www.hattons.co.uk/38511/Bachmann_Branchline_39_435_BR_Mk1_POS_Post_Office_Sorting_Van_in_Royal_Mail_Travelling_Post_Office_Red_/StockDetail.aspx

Now i’m looking at them, and to my eye, i see three identical coaches, same livery bar the numbers.

Can someone put me out of my misery and tell me what i am missing ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Maybe someone can help me, ive got the new POTs (39-750,760,765) and i have previously two POS’s to go with them.

I have 39-420z Modelzone which is numbered 80305 and 39-435 which is numbered 80301.

I could be wrong on this, but coming late to the model railway scene, and buying these second hand, I just assumed that one (435) was a general release of a previously issued Modelzone exclusive. A bit like when they did the Sealink Mk1 SK last year as a general release, having previously done the collectors club twin pack.

Wasn't aware of 39-422. That's another one I'll need to track down for my Royal Mail fleet.

• RMweb Gold

Just to weigh in on the delivery debate, i decided to wade into the family archives on this one.

It would appear the weight of history is on Bachmanns side with the POT release.

post-20773-0-12837500-1542220610_thumb.jpeg

From top to bottom..

1. Latest POT release

2. Lima GUV

3. Bachmann 39-184

4. Replica BG

5. Bachmann 39-435

The brightest one, is the odd one out. The POS is indeed very yellow compared to earlier Bachmann, Replica and Limas Royal Mail yellow renditions.

With apologies to WH Auden, I delibrately applied Rule 1, and avoided controversial liveries on locos in this video.. well almost.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That post with all those mailbags hanging off it isn't very authentic... :-)

Very interesting comparison of the yellow stripes. My memories are of something in between, but seeing them all moving together makes the two yellow lines of the Bachmann POS merge together to accentuate their brightness, whereas on the BGs and GUVs the yellow still looks like two separate lines. Strange that there should be such a difference - the bright lines started with Modelzone's limited editions and they were always pretty good at getting the colours correct.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

I have 39-420z Modelzone which is numbered 80305 and 39-435 which is numbered 80301.

I could be wrong on this, but coming late to the model railway scene, and buying these second hand, I just assumed that one (435) was a general release of a previously issued Modelzone exclusive. A bit like when they did the Sealink Mk1 SK last year as a general release, having previously done the collectors club twin pack.

Wasn't aware of 39-422. That's another one I'll need to track down for my Royal Mail fleet.

It's not the first time Bachmann has used different number series for the same coach/van. The BR blue MK1 GUV started as 39-272 then after a number of letter variants was released as 39-277.

In the case of the POS, the only obvious difference I can see between 39-422 and 39-435 is that 39-422 is labelled as an NSX (dual braked, the same as 39-420Z) whereas 39-435 is an NSV (T). Presumably this affects the underframe tooling (no air brakes) so has a different product number?

Edited by brushman47544

That is a very interesting comparison, out of all of them I'd say the Replica version looked closest to the colours as I'd remember them. The POS is probably a bit too bright lemon yellow where the yellow should probably be closer to front warning panel yellow. The POT colours there dont look as bad as the earlier more gold looking photos.

• RMweb Gold

That post with all those mailbags hanging off it isn't very authentic... :-)

I’ll report it to the head foreman, (its managed by my 8 year daughter), its actually working, I was going to run a mail drop in the video. If you look closely shes placed people on the footbridge, signal gantry and ontop of the mail drop (train enthusiasts waiting to see it). I have a working motorail, coal load hopper and container loader all from my child hood... worked in me, and its working on her. Her no1 ask is a coach with removable roof, so she can add / remove passengers at stations... Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

can those that have purchased a POT could you check the bogies please and confirm if they by any chance have pre-fitted pick ups for lighting?

I am just wondering whether these are the same as fitted to the Mk2f coaches (as the non DCC coaches even have have the same pre fitted bogies for retro fitting of lighting).

Not sure if the bogies on the POT are the same as the Mk2f B5.

appreciate the POTs only have very tiny windows but they were mainly worked overnight so retro fitting a couple of LEDs inside could be cool.

thanks

Edited by ThaneofFife

can those that have purchased a POT could you check the bogies please and confirm if they by any chance have pre-fitted pick ups for lighting?

I am just wondering whether these are the same as fitted to the Mk2f coaches (as the non DCC coaches even have have the same pre fitted bogies for retro fitting of lighting).

Not sure if the bogies on the POT are the same as the Mk2f B5.

appreciate the POTs only have very tiny windows but they were mainly worked overnight so retro fitting a couple of LEDs inside could be cool.

thanks

I have 39-755, the Blue & Grey POT and there are no pickups fitted.

The bogies are B5 (short swing arm), but do not have the hydraulic dampers that the Mk2f’s have and are definitely a different moulding.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I have 39-755, the Blue & Grey POT and there are no pickups fitted.

The bogies are B5 (short swing arm), but do not have the hydraulic dampers that the Mk2f’s have and are definitely a different moulding.

Keith

Past history would suggest that Bachmann will at some point sell its B5 bogies separately in a pack. But are the Mk2fs fitted with B5s or B4s?

Edited by brushman47544

I have still to find a photograph of a prototype stowage van with dull stripes and logos...

Therefore I have been looking at ways of improving the livery. I bought two transfer sheets from Fox Transfers which have excellent looking Royal Mail logos etc but the yellow stripes are noticeably narrower than the ones on the model. These will look out of place in a rake with sorting vans with the bright yellow factory applied stripes.

Fox can do custom made stripes to order but this is starting to become expensive just to restore the models to the correct livery.

I have considered airbrushing the stripes but the masking to obtain straight stripes is a daunting prospect. Also, the red line between the yellow stripes is very narrow. Looks to be about 0.2mm but I haven't measured it accurately yet.

Does anyone out there have a solution please? I just want the stowage vans to have stripes of the same colour and width as the sorting vans. I am considering a full re spray of the body sides prior to applying decals.

John

Don’t know if anyone has done a comparison of the Blue and Grey POT with the Blue and Grey POS (39-425) yet. Apologies if it’s already been done but here it is. Colours match nicely. Royal Mail crest is a slightly lighter Gold on the POT than the POS but not too different to stand out massively. Very pleased.

post-33480-0-58924700-1542744142_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 66738
  • Like 5

Don’t know if anyone has done a comparison of the Blue and Grey POT with the Blue and Grey POS (39-425) yet. Apologies if it’s already been done but here it is. Colours match nicely. Royal Mail crest is a slightly lighter Gold on the POT than the POS but not too different to stand out massively. Very pleased.

attachicon.gif5DAD1385-6EAA-44A0-A60A-EECCF9B24C0A.jpeg

Your blue and grey POT looks very nice indeed.

I must get one myself from my local model shop next week.

Thanks for posting the comparison photograph.

^^^^ different wheelsets?

Yes, Simon Bendall posted on the 9th of November that the new POT is on the new correct B5 Bogies. The POS should also be on B5’s but Bachmann did not tool them up at the time and stuck incorrect B4’s under as a stand in.