Basic customer service at exhibitions

Selkent

I attend exhibitions most weekends, sometimes two in a day and noticed at many, the good size numbers of people waiting to get in around opening time, sometimes a long line of attendees. I have run exhibitions myself and please other exhibition managers, why the must start dead on 10am each day. I was at one a few weeks ago, where the ticket sellers actually said 2 mins to go, while 4 of them sat there doing nothing and a we had to stand in line, a very long line. I accept that sometimes exhibits are not ready until near opening time but what is stopping going down the line and selling tickets to the queue and means that maybe the first 20 or so can just walk in when opened and the queue lowers. The winter months are on us and it is no fun waiting outside in the cold, so maybe even if there is a bit of a queue, let us in 5 mins early. Rant over.

• Like 2

It can be a problem if let people in before the start time as traders and exhibitors are geared to that time. At Wakefield we let people come and get their position and then use thecrefreshment room upstairs. All exhibition managers love to see a queue every time a show opens a session!

• RMweb Premium

Where do you stop that logic? If someone rocks up at 9am should you let them in because the front office staff are ready? What about at the other end, let people stay until 8pm?

It can be a bit frustrating I’m sure, but just don’t arrive bang on opening time.

• RMweb Premium

It great to see visitors enthusiastically anticipating the shows, without that enthusiasm the hobby would suffer. However, you have to draw a line somewhere.

If the show starts at 10 and impatient people are let in 5 mins early, where does it end next time - giving access a further 5 mins before the unofficial 5 mins early time? I wouldn’t be surprised if insurance cover had something to do with compliance to entry.

It great to see visitors enthusiastically anticipating the shows, without that enthusiasm the hobby would suffer. However, you have to draw a line somewhere.

If the show starts at 10 and impatient people are let in 5 mins early, where does it end next time - giving access a further 5 mins before the unofficial 5 mins early time? I wouldn’t be surprised if insurance cover had something to do with compliance to entry.

It is abit like the theatre, front of house manager can only allow audience in when the back stage manager has confirmed all is well. Would not expect a performance to start early. Bigger shows can allow earlier get ins for pre paid ticket holders but club shows means additional tasks to do beforecshow and often down to a some group already doing the tasks.

• RMweb Premium

I attend exhibitions most weekends, sometimes two in a day and noticed at many, the good size numbers of people waiting to get in around opening time, sometimes a long line of attendees. I have run exhibitions myself and please other exhibition managers, why the must start dead on 10am each day. I was at one a few weeks ago, where the ticket sellers actually said 2 mins to go, while 4 of them sat there doing nothing and a we had to stand in line, a very long line. I accept that sometimes exhibits are not ready until near opening time but what is stopping going down the line and selling tickets to the queue and means that maybe the first 20 or so can just walk in when opened and the queue lowers. The winter months are on us and it is no fun waiting outside in the cold, so maybe even if there is a bit of a queue, let us in 5 mins early. Rant over.

As an exhibitor I have to be ready by the opening time. Now I cannot always have a free Friday to set up or the exhibition cannot afford to accommodate me for the Friday night. So that means getting up early so I can be set up in time for the show start time. If the organisers start letting punters in earlier so they don't have to queue, they would expect us to set up earlier. If we were still setting up and you had been let in I bet you or someone else would be moaning we were not ready for you. Exhibitors are not professionals, we do it because in the main we enjoy doing so but threads like this do make me think twice about taking my layout to a show.

The flip side to this is the geezer who turns up late in the afternoon and complains the show finished before he had time to see all the layouts.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can I also point out the sense of entitlement in the thread title - you don't mean basic customer service at all, you mean offering more than is advertised to cater for your whims, which goes way beyond 'basic'.

Basic customer service is letting you in, arguably on time.

• RMweb Gold

As an exhibitor I have to be ready by the opening time. Now I cannot always have a free Friday to set up or the exhibition cannot afford to accommodate me for the Friday night. So that means getting up early so I can be set up in time for the show start time. If the organisers start letting punters in earlier so they don't have to queue, they would expect us to set up earlier. If we were still setting up and you had been let in I bet you or someone else would be moaning we were not ready for you. Exhibitors are not professionals, we do it because in the main we enjoy doing so but threads like this do make me think twice about taking my layout to a show.

About sums it up Clive, as an exhibitor and an exhibition manager I have to agree with the points raised here. 

Consider Warley. I get up at 6 to drive to the NEC Saturday morning. Arrive, park up, load my trolley and walk my demo kit into the hall. Deposit kit in my allotted space then dash off for my breakfast (thanks Barry!). As I'm walking back to set up my demo the tannoy announces that due to crowds the NEC are letting folks in early. Now do they expect to be able to sit in front of my demo stand?

At Mansfield we are a little more laid back of course and if it is inclement we will let folks in early to keep warm - the scouts can serve them a cuppa while they wait for the official opening time, but again, they'd better not complain about layouts not working etc before 10am ;)

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The flip side to this is the geezer who turns up late in the afternoon and complains the show finished before he had time to see all the layouts.  

We tend to offer a bit of a discount for the last hour at Mansfield, unless the customer is being especially grumpy or rude ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was at Bristol Temple Meads the other day, there were lots of passengers on the train, and 5 minutes before the scheduled departure time no one left on the platform wanting to board, so I said "'ere Drive' we're all on, how about we go now, a few minutes sharp?"  

More seriously, I agree completely with Clive, for an exhibitor those last 10 minutes before the show opens can be very busy ones. I have done a show where the opening time queue was getting to dangerous size (down the stairs for several levels at a sports centre, compromising general access) so the exhibition manager sent representatives around explaining the situation and asking fi we were happy to open early.

I'm not sure it was the same show, or just another at the same venue, when a lady turned up on the Sunday afternoon with a minibus full of children asking if where the train show was, "it went up that road in 6 vans, 15 cars and 3 trailers about 10 minutes ago..." came the reply. Maybe they should all have been called back to set-up again for someone who mis-judged/read/understood (delete as applicable) the opening times.

As a show visitor I prefer to get there after the opening rush has dispersed, and by that I don't mean when the queue has gone, but when the initial mass has filtered into every corner of the show, and spread out. OK, that risks the car park being full, if I drive, but then again maybe going a bit later still, will make a relaxed day of it and I could stop off somewhere on the way. But maybe I'm in a minority of one!

• Like 1

I never said be let in way in advance, my point was while waiting, why not go down line and sell tickets, give programmes out etc and people do get there early often to pick up the best deals not already sold to exhibitors or other traders exhibiting there. The show I attended a few weeks ago, had about 100 in queue and I got there early as no chance of any parking on site otherwise and maybe open 5 mins early

• RMweb Premium

Some shows do of course let those with pre-booked tickets in early, Warley and Glasgow being two examples, which helps alleviate the crush at official opening time.

I said yes to helping my mate at Warley. I have accommodation for the Saturday night. To be there in time for the pre-booked ticket people I have to leave home at 5am on Saturday morning. And still be smiling at 6pm to the punter who won't leave.

I never said be let in way in advance, my point was while waiting, why not go down line and sell tickets, give programmes out etc and people do get there early often to pick up the best deals not already sold to exhibitors or other traders exhibiting there. The show I attended a few weeks ago, had about 100 in queue and I got there early as no chance of any parking on site otherwise and maybe open 5 mins early

That is why I have to leave at 5 am. I am not on a trade stand but a layout.

At this years Ally Pally I was in the wrong place when they opened the doors, half way between the entrance and the Bachy stand. I was nearly run over by the "Gotta get a bargain" stampede.  

Having been both an exhibitor and worked on a trade stand for many years I cannot recall buying or selling stuff before the show opens in great quantity. We are all to busy getting ready for the queue outside. 

Like Adrian when I attend a show I like to arrive after the queue has been let in and enjoy a relaxed day out.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There's also the security element if the exhibitors aren't ready because they are still setting up things underneath or having refreshments, the stand isn't fully attended. I've been quite annoyed to find punters coming in and we are made to look like we aren't running anything when we are taking care of our stock and not rushing expecting another 20 minutes. If people choose to turn up early they should expect to wait and the majority will have come by car so have somewhere to sit, it's their impatience not the exhibition if there is any fault ;) Those who turn up by public transport might have a more restricted choice but there is shelter at the station or bus stop in many cases if the weather is cold or rainy.

If it's nice then have a friendly chat with the others in the queue, I just aim for 10 minutes after opening if I'm going early ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

They have done this in the past at DEMU - but the thing is, this assumes everyone is paying cash so fine at a smaller venue but anything larger like a BRM or Warley where cards can be used and it falls down though some locations split the payment and entrance queues too where space permits.

I get what you are asking, it's not to be let in early but to be able to purchase your ticket ahead of opening - there is of course advance tickets for that I suppose.  

• RMweb Premium

They have done this in the past at DEMU - but the thing is, this assumes everyone is paying cash so fine at a smaller venue but anything larger like a BRM or Warley where cards can be used and it falls down though some locations split the payment and entrance queues too where space permits.

I get what you are asking, it's not to be let in early but to be able to purchase your ticket ahead of opening - there is of course advance tickets for that I suppose.  

And that will give someone a few seconds head start on the guy behind them to buy that bargain we all want....... :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

At the Derby show we do just what is being suggested - we have four ticket sellers who go down the queue and sell the tickets - but visitors don't gain admittance before the opening time - it just means that at 10.00am we have a couple of hundred people in the show rather than just the first four from the queue . . . . . . . . 

• Like 4

And that will give someone a few seconds head start on the guy behind them to buy that bargain we all want....... :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

And that only happens at Warley or a BRM exhibition with a Bachmann return stand so you are racing for something someone else got first and returned.....oh and the pre-paid advance ticket holders got there half an hour ealier.

• Like 1

And that only happens at Warley or a BRM exhibition with a Bachmann return stand so you are racing for something someone else got first and returned.....oh and the pre-paid advance ticket holders got there half an hour ealier.

They don't even do this anymore anyway. At least they haven't at the last few Ally Pally's. 

So the only real advantage of being early and standing around in the cold is ... first pick of the glue-dollop covered Faller buildings, "Birds Eye" branded Hornby wagons, and broken Triang Nellys on the second hand stall?