Wireless

stadman

You can get run several systems via wireless by using additional hardware and there are some that have the native capability.

The Digikeijs DR5000 will use the Z21 application to allow full control natively. For Digitrax you can get a LNWI extension that supports some 3rd party apps to control Digitrax and for Lenz you can attach a 23151 which with a suitable wireless router will allow phone control

NCE's any good?

Thanks for the tips.

With a small computer running JMRI yes.   

Cheapest/simplest JMRI option is a Raspberry PI (about £35), a SD card loaded with Steve Todd's JMRI image for Raspberry PI (google it, will find the download and the instructions, its very simple), and suitable interface for NCE system (serial to USB cable device for a PowerPro, NCE USB adaptor for a PowerCab). 

There are apps such as TouchCab (iphone) and ECoS Controller (Android) that work with ESU's ECoS. There are also remote control VNC clients for Windows, iOS, OSX, Android, Linux and a couple of other OSs that allow you to operate ECoS remotely from computers, touch screen tablets, smartphones etc.

A disadvantage of  using  Smartphones  is that they (eventually) go flat - more rapidly than normal due to the continual use of controlling trains, than the occasional phone call - and therefore (the club) may like to consider including 5V USB sockets around the layout so that phones can be charged whilst they are in use, if needed .... so that the important phone call confirming returning home can be made when required 8-)

5V USB sockets are probably much easier to install than controller-specific sockets for multiple handheld controllers.

12V to 5VUSB modules are readily and cheaply available too.

A disadvantage of  using  Smartphones  is that they (eventually) go flat - more rapidly than normal due to the continual use of controlling trains, than the occasional phone call - and therefore (the club) may like to consider including 5V USB sockets around the layout so that phones can be charged whilst they are in use, if needed .... so that the important phone call confirming returning home can be made when required 8-)

5V USB sockets are probably much easier to install than controller-specific sockets for multiple handheld controllers.

12V to 5VUSB modules are readily and cheaply available too.

With plenty of mains sockets around could swap the face plates for some with USB points

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

?how would you make the layout run?  you must be using batteries or possibly pixie dust.

mains is perfectly safe when wired correctly

No. Leave the mains on the wall where it belongs. Run a lead to the power pack. Mains wiring should not run near the layout wiring. Mains outlets on a fascia are a hazard waiting to be discovered.

I don't know where the terrible suggestions of mains socket on the layout, OR even plenty of mains sockets being around came from !!

I was advocating a 12Vdc bus with local 5Vdc USB outputs .. ... plenty of oppportunity for recharging tablets and phones, and running display screens for the public ... on low voltage.

Any mains devoces taken to model railway shows usually need checking by the location's electrician before they can be plugged in - from soldering irons to phone charger computers and layouts.   And trailing leads for extra mains sockets are a potential trip hazard too.

No. Leave the mains on the wall where it belongs. Run a lead to the power pack. Mains wiring should not run near the layout wiring. Mains outlets on a fascia are a hazard waiting to be discovered.

I think you've misunderstood what's been suggested, which is to replace the existing mains socket faceplates on the walls with faceplates incorporating USB charging sockets. That way smartphone users can plug in their phones to recharging points. The only snag is that the xmartphones become tethered to the walls by USB cables, which is why I suggested battery powerbanks which can go in the pocket snd the smartphone users csn still move around freely.

Just replacing the existing faceplates was my intention.

I would be wary of having mains cable attached to a permanent baseboard in a club scenario as someone might just go in and cut wrong live wire without thinking or knowing.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know where the terrible suggestions of mains socket on the layout, OR even plenty of mains sockets being around came from !!

I was advocating a 12Vdc bus with local 5Vdc USB outputs .. ... plenty of oppportunity for recharging tablets and phones, and running display screens for the public ... on low voltage.

Any mains devoces taken to model railway shows usually need checking by the location's electrician before they can be plugged in - from soldering irons to phone charger computers and layouts.   And trailing leads for extra mains sockets are a potential trip hazard too.

That seems a very good idea. I have not allowed mains power anywhere near my layouts built since the 1980’s. But the question that is raised in my mind is what the amperage draw might be, and especially if more than one device, phone or tablet, was being charged at the same time. Could the DCC system deliver enough to do this as well as run the layout? Most chargers seem to have a nominal 2amp rating, although I guess the actual draw might be less, depending of course on the size of the device. Large tablets will draw the most no doubt.

Izzy

That seems a very good idea. I have not allowed mains power anywhere near my layouts built since the 1980’s. But the question that is raised in my mind is what the amperage draw might be, and especially if more than one device, phone or tablet, was being charged at the same time. Could the DCC system deliver enough to do this as well as run the layout? Most chargers seem to have a nominal 2amp rating, although I guess the actual draw might be less, depending of course on the size of the device. Large tablets will draw the most no doubt.

Izzy

I don't think anyone has advocated taking charging power from the layout itself, just routing a low voltage charging supply around the layout.