Setting up the Tam Valley Octopus 3 servo controller

jp1

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of setting up the Tam Valley Octopus 3 servo controller. 

I am using the remote aligner board as per the instructions, the align and momentary jumpers on the octopus 3 are set on the correct pins and the centre jumper is removed after centering. 

The servos centre as per the instructions so they are receiving a signal and power but when I try to set the servo movement using the auto aligner board the servos do not respond.   I have also tried to use the manual setup procedure using the remote aligner with the same result, no servo movement (except when centring).

The power light on the octopus 3's and LED's on the remote aligner behave as expected but still no servo movement.  The servos are tower pro SG90's.

I have tried setup on three different octopus boards with no success.  I have tried with a DCC address board attached and with it not attached (Before I bought the boards Tam Valley told me that should make no difference).  I have also tried to use the manual setup procedure with the same result, no servo movement (except when they are centred).  I have reversed the servo connection plugs and that makes no difference.  i have tried with servos connected without extension leads and that make no difference.

I can't believe all three octopus boards are faulty and I have double checked I am following the instructions in the correct order.

I spent three hours this morning trying to get the boards set up with no success.  I am now very fed up.

I can only surmise that I am doing something wrong or the remote aligner board and/or its cable are faulty.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi James,

Bought them last month in UK.

One thing I did not try was to reset the boards to original settings.  I also have one board still unopened in its packet so I plan to try setting that up on the bench.  

I e-mailed Tam valley as well but no reply yet,  If you get in contact with them let me know how you get on.  I will do the same.

John

OK,

Boards reset to manufacturers default.

First board had two dead servos and several sticky ones (new).  Sticky ones manipulated into life, duff ones replaced.  First board now responds to remote aligner and turnouts operate OK.

Second board fitted under base board and servos plugged into wrong connector as I was upside down looking up.  Servos now plugged into correct connector and board now responds to remote aligner and turnouts operate OK.

Not had time to calibrate the third board but I am now confident I can trouble-shoot any issues.

Moral of the story is if you get fed up go and have a cup of tea, go back to first principles and test everything!

John