3D perspective using 3D printing

Thought I should start a new thread, as there are some new ideas I am trying out creating scenic items in 3D perspective. Not exact, but vsually OK I think.

I was just going to do the street scene, but then thought about railway track and rolling stock.

I created a very basic short wagon. Length is an issue, as I started by using a benchmark length of 60mm for 4mm scale. As standard wagon length is slightly more it is easier to start by shortening wagon(including buffers).

It does not display hat well on Shapeways so using image from my CAD software.

3d-perspective-wagons-on-track-1a.jpg

I would actually get the wagons rinted sepately. For some scales it might have been possible to use real wheels, but I started by adding them to the design, Not that they are intended to move.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered my 3d perspective row of houses , with the recent price offer. Painted roughly, still need to glaze windows, but it has come out better than I expected. The right hand end is Oo scale, the left hand end in N scale.

3d-perspective-houses-1-sm.jpg

sorry about the worktop cluttter, but that helps show it is real.

thought I should post it here in this thread, as I have a lot more ideas on this subject

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Asit is April 1st, I thought I should create a proper OO/HO scale(s) wagon. I often get asked what the difference is betweeen HO and OO, andI suppose this is partly because some manufacturers still put OO/OO on ther packaging. It is not possile for a model to be two different scales, unless it is somehow altere to be in perspective, which is what I have tried to do here.

Aim is to be able to have a short train of wagons in perspective. I should be able to create differnt wagon tops to fit one standard wagon chassis, and maybe even a bogie coach, built up from 3 or 4 sections put together.

oo-ho-wagon-1a.jpg

The front is OO scale, and the back end is HO scale. Obviously it won't move along track, but I am planning to build some 3D perspective dioramas with working trains(running from side to side).

This is a more accurate wagon than the test ones I did first. I have also made it easier to change scale, and swap wagon bodies, in design stage.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• 3 weeks later...

The OO to HO scale wagon is interesting - but should the track gauge move from 18.2 to 16.5 mm?   In fact could you not do a stretch of empty track with the gauge (and sleeper / rail size?) decreasing into the distance? 

The initial plan was to join onto OO track, hence 16.5mm gauge so I could put a OO wagon in front.  Track has also been done, so it can just be track. Also planning to do some coaches, as they are a multiple of wagon length.

• 7 months later...

Do remember, perspective. like rainbows, changes as your view point moves. You should have a specific viewing hole, and you will see some degree of distortion everywhere else. My wife is an artist so that issue comes up often.

Jack Nelson was particularly good at making his LNWR diaramas bowl shaped, to minimise that effect.

Andy

Had a chance to look at one of Jack Nelson's dioramas closely a few years ago. Impressive, but if you moved your eye from normal , you could see the distortion.

Reason I am building small(narrow) modules, which use a straight track at front. I also want to play with a curved track at front, which will enable me to have a wider front edge.

It is also necesary to 'picture frame' the scenr, blocking out view looking from above. I am thinking of designing a'hole in he wall' , or a 'through the window' effect.