Uhlenbrock Daisy 11 handset

Roger Sunderland

Yes with a few limitations:

-  loco programming (programming track and on the main), and LNCV (fairly advanced Uhlenbrock stuff) probably won't work on the Daisy-II handset.

-  speed steps might go wrong, generally it inherits from the setting on a Digitrax system, rather than what you set in the Daisy roster.  (fairly trivial issue for most people, but might catch you out).

I've used one fairly extensively on a Zephyr, both the older DCS50 and the newer ZephyrXtra DCS51.  Can't see any reason it won't work on a Chief system.  

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Nigel. I want to try this out on our exhibition layout. It would be used purely as a throttle, programming is done completely separately from the main layout infrastructure. Some operators struggle with the Digitrax throttles. All they need to be able to do is select a number of loco addresses and drive. This handset may be a help as it appears more intuitive to use.

If you go to the effort of setting up the Roster on the Daisy handset, things are very simple - press "loco key", wind speed controller to go through list of Roster, press button to accept loco of choice and drive it.   Loco can have name, icon, description text, all function icons uniquely set, decide if functions are latching or non-latching for each loco, etc..

I think that you would find the Daisy2 a good choice for simple operation.  When I have exhibited my layout, club members who assisted me found, despite no previous experience of DCC, that they mastered operation very quickly and liked using the Daisy.. 

Setting up the roster by pushing buttons on the Daisy is a time consuming business.  If you have a computer connection, you might be able to use a programme called Daisy Tool that reduces the tedium greatly; it can be downloaded, free, from www.uhlenbrock.de, but I do not know if this would work via a Digitrax digital centre.