Bachmann Hall/Lenz decoder

westonman

Hi all,i have a Bachmann St Edmund Hall fitted with a Lenz Silver mini decoder,the loco runs  fairly well but is still a bit jerky.

What CV numbers need to be adjusted to obtain smoother running,i am using an NCE Powercab controller.

Also i have read that CV 29 bit 3 adjucts the dc / dcc mode,how do i find bit 3.

Thanks in advance

Bob

With the Powercab the DC or not option can be sorted in the setup procedure. No need to fiddle directly with CV 29. After setting the address follow the setup options and one of them is the DC option.

Once the address is set then you get the option 'SET CFG?' Press '1' then step through those options,  'DIR BIT?' (direction) and 'SPEED' pressing <ENTER> each time will set the usual defaults which should be OK for most things and the third option is 'DC MODE' . Press <ENTER> to disable DC operation or '1' to enable.

Pages 48 and 49 of the manual (I'm reading from the version 1.65 issue) details all that. It's one reason why I chose the NCE system it avoids some of the direct CV twiddling. That option is however easily available, see the manual page 53.

Following on through the manual from there goes through the simpler motor setup options. The Lenz manual may well give more info on the appropriate CVs to adjust.

However if you do start changing CVs directly, do please, please, note the value of the original setting so that you can get back to where you started.

This is easier if you use a Sprog allied to a PC or laptop which again takes away much of the direct CV adjustments, you can also record the initial CV settings and easily get back to them. There's lots of information here on that aspect. I expect further posts waill elaborate on that!!

hth

John

Further updates,

The loco runs fine on DC with the chip fitted.

On Dcc in CV50 i turned off the back emf and the loco ran smoother but struggled to negotiate bends.

With the back emf turned on the loco went round the bends o.k. but ran jerkily.

Is there anything else i can adjust to sort this problem out.

Cheers

Bob

Lenz CV50 is like CV29 with individual bits controlling different features - turning EMF on need a value of 32 adding to whatever is already there, or taking 32 away from what is there to switch it off.  You then use CV9 to alter the repetition rate when EMF is on.

you can also change the motor type and frequency - best look at your manual for the details 

Edited by WIMorrison