James37501

Having not had a project or layout to work on for a while and with a 00 scale layout very firmly still in the planning stage and perhaps not going to happen because of space (or lack of it therein), I have decided to build a small 009 layout.

I have a few plans in mind - but I do have some stock already, the first one completed (just awaiting a chassis) is this Simplex tin turtle. Which I have just finished weathering this afternoon.

I thought I'd share it here as a starter, hopefully between work and other commitments I can make a start with track and some scenic work and building soon!

med_gallery_18009_4609_152708.jpg
Edited by James37501
  • Like 9

Well the still distinctive UPS van pulled up today (then the Royal Mail van - seconds apart, I thought there was going to be some sort of turf war!), delivering a nice 3D print from Shapeways of a Simplex of the cabbed variety.

I've had a book since I was a lot younger with the Leighton Buzzard railway in, so that's somewhat influenced my two initial motive power choices.

Also coming from Japan was one of these World Craft Company Chassis', yes, it's very compact, but has four wheel drive and is a really good runner when tested this afternoon so far.

A quick phone picture to show these together - I think they'll be a few post work sanding and primer sessions to try to get the body as smooth to the naked eye as possible.

The 3D print is from TeeBee Models, and is excellent!

med_gallery_18009_4609_1364884.jpg

• Like 7

It fits in a fashion a lot better than I originally thought it would — however will need a bit of fettling to get a good fit.

I've also got one of those - same print, same chassis and yes, it did require a bit of chopping to get it to fit the chassis in the body. I also used some bits of styrene to represent the gubbins behind the radiator, on the grounds that a loco in industrial service would probably have all sorts of bodged repairs and therefore I could get away with not having a perfect representation of the engine.

Well with a little bit of cutting away some plastic and a light sanding I have completed my cabbed simplex, it's not perfect but I'm happy and proud of what I've achieved.

Wasn't so bothered about the grainy finish, I wanted it to look like a well worked example where the paint had bubbled and oxidised.

Perhaps one that is awaiting a would-be preservationist to see her working away and asking for first refusal when the time comes!

med_gallery_18009_4609_372305.jpg

med_gallery_18009_4609_331702.jpg

Edited by James37501
  • Like 10

Looks very good. That's a nice shade of green you've painted it in too.

Thanks Luke, the shade is grass green by Humbrol -- most of these were green from photographs I've seen, obviously heading into further roles they got painted in various liveries. I wanted this one to look like a new owner had painted it in the closest green paint they found, a number of years ago, and it has been through several owners since then! 

Here is a little plan of what the layout is going to be and look like - though the motive power is not prototypical, I am planning a representation of the clay pit and tile works at Barton upon Humber (Far Ings)...

med_gallery_18009_4609_679981.jpg

The boards will have a central fiddle yard between the two.

• Like 4

Really like your loco's James. Looking forward to seeing the layout develop.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

It will be a slow progress one, probably focusing on one board then the next. Will have to fit around my work life too!

I have a soft spot for Motor Rail Simplex locos. But I’m planning to try and model some other motive power types!

I have another compact layout in mind too which will be based around a contracters hire railway in an unlikely setting — something which has happened in the past, but in my case the layout is completely fanciful.

J.

This is all looking very good. How big is the layout going to be? Will you just be running one skip as in the last days of Far Ings or a few more?

Thank you.

The layout boards are about A3 paper size. So quite compact. The layout is just a representation of the real thing so not to scale. I will be running with one or two skips.

My other project in mind is completely fanciful and will run with around three skips and one loco.

Edited by James37501

Had to go and collect and pay a customs charge on a parcel from Japan today...

This means however my Tin Turtle is now running!

med_gallery_18009_4609_793536.jpg

Is there a collective term for Motor Rail Simplex locomotives??
Simpli (pronounced Simp-ply)

A pandemonium/ostentation/unkindness/flock/rasp of Simplex's...? :scratchhead:

Anyhow whatever it is, I'm starting to get one...

med_gallery_18009_4609_1666127.jpg

• Like 8

Look forward to seeing your finished representation of the tile works at Barton. The works are still there but no narrow gauge railway now only about 20ft of2ft gauge track across the car park! Have you seen the Hull MRS layout 'Barrowfleet'? Based a bit further along the Humber bank?

Peter

I have ordered a Simplex and Tomytec HM01. The latter is coming from Japan where I bought my three Katos from for other 009 locos.

The Tomytec is a good motor. I hope yours makes it through without being stung by a customs and royal mail handling charge!

You need to buy an adapter plate for the Tomytec too!