James37501

Look forward to seeing your finished representation of the tile works at Barton. The works are still there but no narrow gauge railway now only about 20ft of2ft gauge track across the car park! Have you seen the Hull MRS layout 'Barrowfleet'? Based a bit further along the Humber bank?

Peter

Thanks Peter.

It'll be a slow burner project, between work and other commitments.

Barrowfleet is amazing and I hope that the layout I am building will have half of the feel, detail and atmosphere of the Barrowfleet - I've only recently seen it in the flesh and it's even better to see in real life.

I've never really seen a layout project fully through (I've had to rip so many out because of house moves etc...) this one is small and modular enough to be something that can be moved and despite limited "play value" exhibited.

Starting work on the buildings soon, so they'll be some layout updates shortly.

The Tomytec is a good motor. I hope yours makes it through without being stung by a customs and royal mail handling charge!

You need to buy an adapter plate for the Tomytec too!

Thanks James. Yes I did order the adaptor thank you. Unfortunately the supplier sold out at the Warley show, so there will be a delay. The Kato parcels were marked 'gift' although I didn't ask him to do that. I may not be as fortunate with the TomyTec as it is a different supplier.

Another loco joining the fold is this Ruston! It's due glazing, some weathering and potentially a wooden platform on the side of the frame allowing a driver to stand and perhaps a travelling crewmember too.

med_gallery_18009_4609_299486.jpg

Whilst I've just painted a Peco Skip in a very Alan Keef shade of orange...

med_gallery_18009_4609_117699.jpg

Edited by James37501
  • Like 6

The Tomytec is a good motor. I hope yours makes it through without being stung by a customs and royal mail handling charge!

You need to buy an adapter plate for the Tomytec too!

How did you find the running qualities of the Tomytec straight out of the box? I’ve recently got one and it seems to not run very well in one direction unless pressure is applied to the top of the motor, so I’m wondering if the tension has gone there (a problem I once experienced on another loco) or if I damaged something taking the plastic cover off the main chassis, which was more difficult than I expected. I know with some of these small chassis that they actually need more than the supplied weight to run smoothly but I’d just like to check as if I’ve got a duff one I probably still have time to swap it.

How did you find the running qualities of the Tomytec straight out of the box? I’ve recently got one and it seems to not run very well in one direction unless pressure is applied to the top of the motor, so I’m wondering if the tension has gone there (a problem I once experienced on another loco) or if I damaged something taking the plastic cover off the main chassis, which was more difficult than I expected. I know with some of these small chassis that they actually need more than the supplied weight to run smoothly but I’d just like to check as if I’ve got a duff one I probably still have time to swap it.

Mine ran reasonably well out of the box, when adding the white metal body on the chassis with everything else removed it provided enough weight to keep it in contact with the power source.

Try taking it apart again and putting back together, ensure that everything's looking as it should.

Mine ran reasonably well out of the box, when adding the white metal body on the chassis with everything else removed it provided enough weight to keep it in contact with the power source.

Try taking it apart again and putting back together, ensure that everything's looking as it should.

It all looks OK, there is a fairly loose part to the chassis although this seems to only be there to support the box body it comes with. If it’s not too much trouble could you take a close up picture of your chassis (side and underneath). I just need to check that everything is clipped together as it should be but I don’t have another one to compare it to.

Thanks

It all looks OK, there is a fairly loose part to the chassis although this seems to only be there to support the box body it comes with. If it’s not too much trouble could you take a close up picture of your chassis (side and underneath). I just need to check that everything is clipped together as it should be but I don’t have another one to compare it to.

Thanks

Might be a bit difficult, it's passed my running tests so it is stuck in there semi permanently. Sorry.

I promised a layout update and here it is.

This is my representation of the incline at Far Ings, the actual incline bit is currently in build but I finished the pug mill building this afternoon.

Made using South Eastern Fincast brick sheets which are very nice indeed and have varied different brick bond styles, and Wills pantile sheets with some drinking straw ridge tiles, will be in for painting tomorrow, but couldn't resist having a quick position on the layout, just to check thing over and see how it will look when done!

At the bottom of the incline is a very muddy Hudson skip!

med_gallery_18009_4609_523547.jpg

Edited by James37501
  • Like 5

Yes, evaluating options for how it will work at the minute, but the plan is for the wagon to go up and down the incline!

I have got an incline diorama that you wind by hand and I’ve seen powered ones. I suspect the difficult bit, which I haven’t had to do, is uncoupling the wagon from the rope. Somebody in 009 News a few months ago had done one with a wagon that stayed coupled to the rope and was uncoupled from the other wagons in the normal way.

• 3 weeks later...

James, Good evening. Your Simplex locos look great. I am currently thinking of building some sort of dual guage 009 / 00 layout later next year. I have been looking for Simplex locos for sale. There dont seem to be any apart from the ones you have bought and certainly no ready to run ones. Can they be made to run DCC do you know ?

James, Good evening. Your Simplex locos look great. I am currently thinking of building some sort of dual guage 009 / 00 layout later next year. I have been looking for Simplex locos for sale. There dont seem to be any apart from the ones you have bought and certainly no ready to run ones. Can they be made to run DCC do you know ?

Thanks Stephen, unsure on the DCC question, there's a protected simplex in 009 on ebay at the minute, though that's on a old chassis by the looks of things. AFAIK there isn't another available in 009 but the kit does go together really well, it's an easy build and the Tomytec motor is a good runner. The 009 Simplex's that are 3D printed are great but you need to be able to add weight and find a chassis small enough to accept the body and additional weight, which is where I've somewhat failed with mine.

Best of luck with the building of your layout!

Thanks Stephen, unsure on the DCC question, there's a protected simplex in 009 on ebay at the minute, though that's on a old chassis by the looks of things. AFAIK there isn't another available in 009 but the kit does go together really well, it's an easy build and the Tomytec motor is a good runner. The 009 Simplex's that are 3D printed are great but you need to be able to add weight and find a chassis small enough to accept the body and additional weight, which is where I've somewhat failed with mine.

Best of luck with the building of your layout!

Is the armoured one the Meridian/Mosskito kit? (Sorry if you’ve already said and I’ve missed it)