British outline lococmotive

I have no idea what it is but my question is which is cheaper to tool? Would a single diesel (or electric) loco be cheaper to tool than say a steam loco with tender or a dmu would these count as 2 vehicles and somehow be more? I just think for a company starting out they would be looking at the potentially cheaper items first.

Mark

I have no idea what it is but my question is which is cheaper to tool? Would a single diesel (or electric) loco be cheaper to tool than say a steam loco with tender or a dmu would these count as 2 vehicles and somehow be more? I just think for a company starting out they would be looking at the potentially cheaper items first.

Mark

There first loco was announced on October 25th, a big Irish diesel with 12 wheels. A shunter would doubtless be cheaper but they have clearly shown that making bigger engines is not beyond them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mark

Hi Mark,

When it comes to a locomotive the cost depends on how many detail variations there are, rather than steam being cheaper than diesel etc. for instance, if a steam loco had different boilers during its career you wish to cater for, or tenders, or if locos had headcode arrangements, bodyside modifications etc this increases pricing etc.

Multiple units can cost more as you are usually tooling two or even more bodies, under frames etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Fran

• RMweb Premium

I really want it to be one of several 1st gen multiple units, so I can complain that it's too expensive and the wrong scale anyway.

But seriously, Stationmaster has let the cat right out of the bag: it's now quite obvious that the photo is of a Highland and Lowland Blarney being repainted in a snowstorm. Shame about the five-coupled subclass though as that would have sold well in my view. Not to me of course. It's way too expensive and the wrong scale anyway.

It's a personal thing, I know, but I'm not waiting for a new version of any BR mainline diesel. What I am waiting for are several First Generation DMUs. These were an integral part of the BR scene from the late 1950s until the 1980s at least, and many distinctive classes have yet to be made RTR. I know all the arguments about the cost of two, three or more car units, but the fact is that I'm not interested in spending money replacing diesel locos that are already fairly good, accurate models. But I would spend money on DMUs like, say, a Class 120, or two or three.

What things for a locoholic to want! Whilst I take your point and don’t disagree, I would rather have missing early diesels, such as 10800, gas turbines and missing AC electrics.

Why can’t we have a Class 80? Two locos in one.

Looking forward to seeing something that is hopefully of interest to me, if not, I'm fine with it (and so is the wallet and wife!). I've got a few ideas of what might be appearing, mainly down to what is already available and how far up there list of needing an update they are, but I don't want to be accused of wishlisting or frothing, so I'll keep that under my hat!

Will the pre-order process be like that for the wagons, in that it's paid up front and arrives when it's ready?

See you Saturday,

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing something that is hopefully of interest to me, if not, I'm fine with it (and so is the wallet and wife!). I've got a few ideas of what might be appearing, mainly down to what is already available and how far up there list of needing an update they are, but I don't want to be accused of wishlisting or frothing, so I'll keep that under my hat!

Will the pre-order process be like that for the wagons, in that it's paid up front and arrives when it's ready?

See you Saturday,

Cheers

J

Hi J,

To be honest we haven’t fully decided yet, we may do what we are doing for our Irish loco, where we take a deposit and the balance can be paid off before the model arrives in stock (though most are opting to pay up front!). We’ll know by Saturday though!

See you then!

Fran

• RMweb Gold

I really want it to be one of several 1st gen multiple units, so I can complain that it's too expensive and the wrong scale anyway.

But seriously, Stationmaster has let the cat right out of the bag: it's now quite obvious that the photo is of a Highland and Lowland Blarney being repainted in a snowstorm. Shame about the five-coupled subclass though as that would have sold well in my view. Not to me of course. It's way too expensive and the wrong scale anyway.

Dammit, that's b*ggered my chances of a free Guinness C*******s gift pack, sorry fellas

Just catching up with this thread, and I'll be honest, I haven't a fiddlers what that photo is of, despite seeing a little under a thousand hours go into the project. 

Done well, Fran, you have. 

(Looking forward to my first Warley now!)

RM

(Edit - ah yes, that pipe)

Edited by Irish_R_M
  • Like 1

so as a follow up to that cryptic clue, how about on Saturday, once we all know what the Loco is, how about a prize of a packet of Taytos, if you can then guess what part that actually is ?

I,m guessing its a pipe on the right hand side when facing forwards, inside the cab.

• RMweb Gold

I,m guessing its a pipe on the right hand side when facing forwards, inside the cab.

I’m thinking it’s a close up of a USB iPhone charging cable, that accidentally got in the way of a button press when Fran was walking around his subject and now he thinks it’s part of the Loco, and is just asking us for help identifying it in his photo collection because he can’t identify it.

:-)

That or the next model is of a passenger, looking at Realtimetrains on his iPhone.

Edited by adb968008

Fell diesel.

Yes, I know they couldn’t take photos of it because it longer exists, but still.

The Fell diesel is clearly the loco that no one needs but everybody wants, the loco that no one remembers but everybody can find a place for on their layout.

Just imagine one in Network SouthEast or COLAS liveries or even GNER.

Sales would be unprecedented.

So there we have it, the frothing can cease.

Fell diesel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would like to know what it is but as I am skint I don't think I will be getting one no matter how much I think my layout needs one.

I look forward to seeing what it is over the weekend and best of luck with it.

As Accurascale have not put a teaser on the DEMU forum is it a diesel or electric loco..............or something else?

• Like 1

As Accurascale have not put a teaser on the DEMU forum is it a diesel or electric loco..............or something else?

Fran waved the words 'steam loco' in front of us a couple of days back ......... but not really a hint, surely as that's demonstrably not their interest period ... unless it's a 9F, p'raps ...... but then do we need ANOTHER 9F ??!?

You're probably right that it'll be a diesel or electric loco, alright ........ but I'd be more than pleasantly surprised and happy to give Fran a pre-order for, say, a Chatham 'D' on Saturday ! 

• Like 1

Fell diesel.

Yes, I know they couldn’t take photos of it because it longer exists, but still.

The Fell diesel is clearly the loco that no one needs but everybody wants, the loco that no one remembers but everybody can find a place for on their layout.

Just imagine one in Network SouthEast or COLAS liveries or even GNER.

Sales would be unprecedented.

So there we have it, the frothing can cease.

Fell diesel.

Needless to say, I agree with every word, especially “imagine” in relation to the liveries. Best just imagined.  :D

Fran waved the words 'steam loco' in front of us a couple of days back ......... but not really a hint, surely as that's demonstrably not their interest period ... unless it's a 9F, p'raps ...... but then do we need ANOTHER 9F ??!?

You're probably right that it'll be a diesel or electric loco, alright ........ but I'd be more than pleasantly surprised and happy to give Fran a pre-order for, say, a Chatham 'D' on Saturday ! 

Enough people lust after a D to make it sure-fire. Clever tooling could lead to a D1 as well. There are RTR coaches available to go with it. How could  it possibly flop?

On reflection, I know how. Rails could get involved and charge £249·99 for it. £269·99 for the SE&CR livery.  :scared:

• RMweb Gold

so as a follow up to that cryptic clue, how about on Saturday, once we all know what the Loco is, how about a prize of a packet of Taytos, if you can then guess what part that actually is ?

King will always be the superior Irish crisp! I will bring a bag for a lucky winner if I think of it! :)

'fraid not!

Cheers,

Fran