Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

I got the email from them this morning saying 47474 would arrive within next couple of days which interested me. A couple of hours later got the email saying it was in stock....it was ordered within 5 mins! :rolleyes:

Have also gone for the next day delivery option so hopefully will be here tomorrow!

Picked up my 47474 from Arcadia this afternoon - I had a few worries about this one considering the poor marker lights and headlight on the DRS 57 and BR Blue 47s however I had no reason to worry. Bachmann have got it spot on this time it seems - both ends have the right marker lights, and right scale hi-intensity lights. The livery is well applied (although mine will not stay in it for long) and having stood the loco next to ViTrains and Heljan RES 47s it knocks the socks off both.....

It's just a shame they come in such crap boxes! :(

Dave

• Like 1

mine arrived this morning and looks fantastic. Looking forward to getting it out the box properly this evening and giving it a run out. I noticed the etched name plates are seperate so I'm assuming can be just stuck on top of the printed ones, anyone know a good way of doing this? Seems to come with plenty of options for adding on the ends including snow ploughs.

I noticed the etched name plates are seperate so I'm assuming can be just stuck on top of the printed ones, anyone know a good way of doing this?

Yes, the etched nameplates should be slightly larger than the printed ones and can just be stuck over the top.

My advice for sticking them in place would be to use "Blu Tac" (or non-brand equivalent!). If you use glue and don't place the nameplates correctly first time or you drop them on to the model as you are positioning them, you end up ruining the paintwork with a glue mark. I use Blu Tac for all my nameplates, depot plaques, BR arrows etc, they have always stayed in place and I've never ruined any paintwork. They very occassionally get knocked out of position but then you can just slide them back into place.

Yes, the etched nameplates should be slightly larger than the printed ones and can just be stuck over the top.

My advice for sticking them in place would be to use "Blu Tac" (or non-brand equivalent!). If you use glue and don't place the nameplates correctly first time or you drop them on to the model as you are positioning them, you end up ruining the paintwork with a glue mark. I use Blu Tac for all my nameplates, depot plaques, BR arrows etc, they have always stayed in place and I've never ruined any paintwork. They very occassionally get knocked out of position but then you can just slide them back into place.

I use PVA glue , for the same resons as the blu tac - its clean and safe on paintwork - and you get time to position the plates before the glue goes off . Only neads a tiny smear to do the job - ive not had any plates fall off yet - when ive needed to remove them , and cotton bud dipped in warm water is enough to melt the glue .

hth

'179

I use PVA glue . . . Only neads a tiny smear to do the job

Just to emphasise this to ensure you (nse47) don't spoil your new model. Make sure you don't use so much glue that it splurges out of the sides of the nameplate when you press down. As with most things you glue on railway models, you do only need a miniscule amount.

Looks like a fine representation of the 47. I suspect it will be a hit with the limited edition mob too :huh:

I dunno about that, as the Heljan version of a Parcels Sector 47 ended up being sold off cheaply by the box shifters so presumably it didn't sell very well.

Thought I'd post some pictures of the new Bachmann Parcels 47 to practice posting on the new RMWeb. The first two show the loco from the two different ends and the dark picture shows the marker lights in more detail at the number 1 end.

I personally think Bachmann have produced the "ultimate" Class 47 with this new model, with all elements correct and looking good, including the livery application. They have also eliminated the body wobble seen on their first examples. I won't be replacing my Heljan ones though as I like them, I shall just be enhancing my collection with the Bachmann models!!

post-5791-12593331313657_thumb.jpg

post-5791-12593331432246_thumb.jpg

post-5791-12593331528536_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sadly the oversized marker lights have carried over from the preproduction models :( other than that it looks at first glance pretty good. Certainly an improvement over the first attempt. (and streets ahead of the Heljan model.)

That said, assuming that you are happy fitting the detail parts yourself, and are prepared to correct any painting mistakes the Vi Trains model is still ahead in terms of accuracy.

• Like 1

That said, assuming that you are happy fitting the detail parts yourself, and are prepared to correct any painting mistakes the Vi Trains model is still ahead in terms of accuracy.

I will get a ViTrains model or two if they release some in railfreight subsector grey (construction or metals). Just something about the ViTrains model for me though in relation to the chassis and the paint jobs that makes it fall short of the new Bachmann examples.

With regard to the detailing parts on the Bachmann loco, does anyone know what these are and where they go? There are eight included with the models:

post-5791-12593351524757_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I will get a ViTrains model or two if they release some in railfreight subsector grey (construction or metals). Just something about the ViTrains model for me though in relation to the chassis and the paint jobs that makes it fall short of the new Bachmann examples.

With regard to the detailing parts on the Bachmann loco, does anyone know what these are and where they go? There are eight included with the models:

I do see what you mean with the paint finish on the Vi Trains model, Personally its the accuracy of the core shape thats of the most imporance as everything else can be sorted (not to mention their A1A chassis design is a lot better engineered than Bachmanns all axle drive system.) But I can see how for the majority of people the paint finish is important (and in that creteria with the exception of the Intercity Swallow release that (assuming that as per usual it follows the preproduction model) will be very very wrong!

As for you detail parts, looks like a bogie part to me, probably part of the break gear. I'd look at each end of the bogie (with 2 parts for each frame.)

As for you detail parts, looks like a bogie part to me, probably part of the break gear. I'd look at each end of the bogie (with 2 parts for each frame.)

Thanks both. Yes, I think it attaches on the underside of each bogie. Quite fiddly to do and you can't see them when in place, so I think I'll leave them off for now.

In the detaling parts for this loco, the air brake and main res pipes come ready painted and there is a three piece snowplough moulded as one part and it simply fits into the NEM pocket. Quite useful for various locos and less fiddly than the Heljan snowplough.

Thanks for the info on the name plates, think I'll try the blu tack first and see how that goes.

I can't praise the model enough, got it on the track last night and it run brilliantly, I've only got DC at the mo but will be getting a sound DCC chip for this model as it deserves it.

• RMweb Premium

The parcels 47 does look very nice, trouble is I can feel myself being drawn back to modelling modern era NSE diesels if I am not careful. It should look beautiful in both original and revised NSE liveries.... Are NSE Mk 1 and 2's still cheaply about at the moment? :D

Will see what Bachmann announce for 2010 I think!!

Well there already doing one of these in the NSE stripy livery 47573 as a special edition for Modelzone (already on order), I'm hoping Bachmann bring out a revised version as one of there own releases next year.

They do seem to be a reasonable price at the mo depending what you go for. The brilliant Bachmann mk1's are still fairly expensive but Hornby mk2's are easy to find at a godd price.

• RMweb Gold

The parcels 47 does look very nice, trouble is I can feel myself being drawn back to modelling modern era NSE diesels if I am not careful. It should look beautiful in both original and revised NSE liveries.... Are NSE Mk 1 and 2's still cheaply about at the moment? :D

The mk2s were certainly still going cheap at Warley last week

The parcels 47 does look very nice, trouble is I can feel myself being drawn back to modelling modern era NSE diesels if I am not careful. It should look beautiful in both original and revised NSE liveries.... Are NSE Mk 1 and 2's still cheaply about at the moment? biggrin.gif

Will see what Bachmann announce for 2010 I think!!

Hopefully a fair few liveries for the 47!

Hopefully a fair few liveries for the 47!

I'd imagine this loco will become a staple yearly release like blue Class 20s and blue Class 31s, but with a greater variety of liveries, like Class 37s. Having received mine, I'd say Bachmann are on to a winner with this loco; job's definitely a good 'un!

Left my Class 47 running unattended last night with a rake of coaches. The coupling came out and the loco then ran round the track on its own and crashed into the back of the rake of coaches. I didn't realise this for about half an hour and the wheels carried on turning where it had ridden up onto the coaches. The loco then started making a funny noise and running poorly :( ; I tracked this down to one of the cogs being loose as the piece of metal that holds it in place had worked its way loose. Luckily, I found the piece of metal, refitted it and it runs perfectly again :D

Thanks for the info on the name plates, think I'll try the blu tack first and see how that goes.

I can't praise the model enough, got it on the track last night and it run brilliantly, I've only got DC at the mo but will be getting a sound DCC chip for this model as it deserves it.

With other nameplate models, I have used thin double sided tape. If the nameplate is placed (face up!!) on the tape when peeled from the roll, this can then be cut around with a fine scalpel leaving the paper to be peeled off the plate with the adhesive face ready to be fixed to the model.

The tape (basic sellotape double sided) is very fine and is not evident between plate and model, but allows some adjustment when fixed. Additionally this should not damage the paint finish of the plate if subsequently removed.

I have fixed one set of plates with cyano (dutch split headcode 37) - very very difficult and I wouldn't recommend this, although the plates are now well fixed.

N

I prefer using evostick Impact for nameplate fixing myself.

A small smear on both surfaces and then allow it to become tacky before placeing the plate. It allows room for adjustment and if it does spill over the edge of the plate it comes away fairly easialy with a cocktail stick.