Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

I do fully agree with you over Bachmann just be other new livery of construction of class 47 that why I am still awaiting to get that Bachmann class 47 construction livery based Scotland region

Bachmann has released

47359 metals

47209 Railfreight distribution

47365 European Railfreight distribution

47306 European Railfreight distribution

47190 petroleum

That quote was 2009. It doesn’t seem the importers of Vi have any interest anymore

• 1 month later...

Gents (and ladies if there are any) i have just trawled through all 34 pages in this thread, i have the bag of detailing parts for the 47, included as you all know are 8 items, all the same that appear to go on the bogies, i cant though for the life of me work out how or where, I thought I was going to get the answer in the first couple of pages but no.... unless ive missed it.....

so.... does anyone have a definitive answer, ideally with photos as to how the detailing bits fit to the corners of the bogies?

• RMweb Gold

Gents (and ladies if there are any) i have just trawled through all 34 pages in this thread, i have the bag of detailing parts for the 47, included as you all know are 8 items, all the same that appear to go on the bogies, i cant though for the life of me work out how or where, I thought I was going to get the answer in the first couple of pages but no.... unless ive missed it.....

so.... does anyone have a definitive answer, ideally with photos as to how the detailing bits fit to the corners of the bogies?

Hi there

What you have there are the brake actuating arms.

They are not identical but are handed - left and right

They sit on top of the bogie frames at each corner so that the thinner rod aligns with a slot in the top side of the frame and with the thicker arm pointing across the front/back of the bogie

Make sure they are pushed fully home or they foul on the body and cause derailments

Hope that helps if not come back and will take a photo for you

If you google class 47 bogie there are some pictures but not entirely clear

Cheers

Phil

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bit of help please - one of my Bachmann 47s (47612 IC Livery if it matters) some time ago developed a horrible grinding/catching sound when cornering in one direction. I found some info that suggested the cardon shaft may be loose but never got round to sorting. I’ve recently unscrewed the bogies and after much fiddling and swearing got the shafts out and back in. Put it back together and ran perfectly once in each direction round some long curves. Second run the noise has returned and now happens on the straight as well! Are there any known fixes? The shaft seemed ok ie not bent, chewed end or anything. Many Thanks.

A bit of help please - one of my Bachmann 47s (47612 IC Livery if it matters) some time ago developed a horrible grinding/catching sound when cornering in one direction. I found some info that suggested the cardon shaft may be loose but never got round to sorting. I’ve recently unscrewed the bogies and after much fiddling and swearing got the shafts out and back in. Put it back together and ran perfectly once in each direction round some long curves. Second run the noise has returned and now happens on the straight as well! Are there any known fixes? The shaft seemed ok ie not bent, chewed end or anything. Many Thanks.

Probably the oil ran dry in the bearings at the top of gear towers where the shafts sit in them. My 47 has not done this yet but it dit happen on the Hornby 31, 50 and 56.

• 1 month later...

It should fit on the 21 pin one

i would agree.  I have found that quite a few of my Bach 47s are a real wrestle to get the bodies back on after fitting DCC chips - seems to be that something wants to foul each end and lead to the body sitting high.  In every case I have managed to get the body back on eventually but never easy - may be intrusion of the wire handrails against the chassis - have never worked out what the issue is suffice to say that force and inserting the screws seems to pull it down eventually.  Is this maybe the issue you are having?

i would agree.  I have found that quite a few of my Bach 47s are a real wrestle to get the bodies back on after fitting DCC chips - seems to be that something wants to foul each end and lead to the body sitting high.  In every case I have managed to get the body back on eventually but never easy - may be intrusion of the wire handrails against the chassis - have never worked out what the issue is suffice to say that force and inserting the screws seems to pull it down eventually.  Is this maybe the issue you are having?

M

I think it's caused by the holes at the bottom of the door window glazing that should clip over the "pips" that stick out of the chassis.

Thanks everyone who responded - I'll cut the pips off the inside of the body tonight and see if it fits.

I had these issues with my own 47's   - on some the small recesses below the cab window glazing broke off.  I decided to remove all the cab door windows and cut the retaining slot parts off.  I then glued suitably sized small strips of plasticard inside the bodyshell for the chassis lugs to locate on - no more cab door glazing issues..............

• 2 months later...

So with the announcement of 47435, I'm hoping there are no Cl.57 tooling left overs and we might get a banger blue Spoon suitable for a plethora of renumbering projects:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/StockDetail.aspx?SID=431949

I like the fact it's dual heat fitted, easier to remove than add, with the full tank/battery box gear between the bogies.

Might be in for half a dozen of these, at the right price, finally retire those Lima jobs!

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

So with the announcement of 47435, I'm hoping there are no Cl.57 tooling left overs and we might get a banger blue Spoon suitable for a plethora of renumbering projects:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/StockDetail.aspx?SID=431949

I like the fact it's dual heat fitted, easier to remove than add, with the full tank/battery box gear between the bogies.

Might be in for half a dozen of these, at the right price, finally retire those Lima jobs!

C6T.

So its a serck fitted loco with a spanner boiler in blue - the same as the already released 47035, except that it may have dominos rather than plated headcode box - but that was easy to convert to a headcode/domino loco with a bit of drilling and cutting....

A Stone Vapour, Clayton or blanked off boiler port would have been greater variety ..... we haven't seen ether of the latter two in an unrefurbished loco IIRC.

Better get some more boiler port etches in!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I must admit a stone vapour boiler would have been handy. Who does the etches for these?

Shawplan do blanking plates

A1 models do the ports - there were some etches on Ebay but none there at the moment....

Phil

I must admit Phil, I posted that (heavily edited) missive with some trepidation, knowing how knowledgeable on all matters Spoon shaped the esteemed regular contributors, such as yourself, on this thread are.

My only Bachmann 47 purchased to date has been 47474 Sir Rowland Hill which is a favoured prototype loco and ideal candidate for my 1996-9 modelling period. I do though also era dabble with May 1980, with a specific bent towards ex GN & GE traction and stock.

Finding the Barwell Duff the most likeable of the RTR options, you'll understand that from a my relative layman's point of view, reading of consistent errors with tooling on a ostensibly similar but fundamentally complex model/prototype subject led me to stay with my absolutely incorrect but incredibly cheap Lima stud.

The release of 47435 does seem to fulfil my desire for something nearer to what I would like, multiple times.

As such, I'd appreciate your input via this topic Phil on my future renumbering projects, and perhaps I can reciprocally learn you on Cl.56 (of which I probably know too much to be healthy).

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

One of the locomotives I'm looking to do is 47085xb SF Mammoth, having looked at 47035, I'd rather the headcode was an accurate rendition of a domino than whatever thats supposed to be!

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T