Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

• RMweb Gold

So with the announcement of 47435, I'm hoping there are no Cl.57 tooling left overs and we might get a banger blue Spoon suitable for a plethora of renumbering projects:https://www.hattons.co.uk/StockDetail.aspx?SID=431949

I like the fact it's dual heat fitted, easier to remove than add, with the full tank/battery box gear between the bogies.

Might be in for half a dozen of these, at the right price, finally retire those Lima jobs!

C6T.

I couldn’t wait..

A donor 47..

post-20773-0-99301300-1547997433_thumb.jpeg

A drill..

I use double sidedtape to initially place the headlight, it doubles as a guide as i hold the drill and the bit to constrain movement and avoid it spinning off over the cab front ! Then once the pilot hole is drilled ( i started using 1mm i remove the headlight & tape, and the goto 1.6mm (2mm is the aperture of the headlight).

post-20773-0-93189000-1547997493_thumb.jpeg

A select bit of glue...

post-20773-0-93699200-1547997534_thumb.jpeg

Unfortunately the nameplates from Fox didn’t come with a badge, so I had to go back to being a 10 year old, where I used to make paper trains, in order to make the badge

post-20773-0-43608700-1547997308_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-68566300-1547997338_thumb.jpeg

Blue can be beautiful..

post-20773-0-53375500-1547997226_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-74527900-1547997243_thumb.jpeg

The choice if 47405 was elimination, it ended its days at Crewe works in 1987, it got headlights but no orange cantrail, it was one of 3 or so that never got the DSD box and so had markers at both ends to the end... this is as per the 47404 model, which is modelled earlier in its life. 001 is also a candidate for this, however as it’s becoming 47491 i’ll Put markers on one end (Replica water slide transfers).

Of note i initially placed a 2mm zircon stone in the headlight, not only does it not glue in place, but it makes no difference whatsoever to the beam. The stones are a pain as they tend to be .5mm out in size, either too big or too small.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I must admit Phil, I posted that (heavily edited) missive with some trepidation, knowing how knowledgeable on all matters Spoon shaped the esteemed regular contributors, such as yourself, on this thread are.

My only Bachmann 47 purchased to date has been 47474 Sir Rowland Hill which is a favoured prototype loco and ideal candidate for my 1996-9 modelling period. I do though also era dabble with May 1980, with a specific bent towards ex GN & GE traction and stock.

Finding the Barwell Duff the most likeable of the RTR options, you'll understand that from a my relative layman's point of view, reading of consistent errors with tooling on a ostensibly similar but fundamentally complex model/prototype subject led me to stay with my absolutely incorrect but incredibly cheap Lima stud.

The release of 47435 does seem to fulfil my desire for something nearer to what I would like, multiple times.

As such, I'd appreciate your input via this topic Phil on my future renumbering projects, and perhaps I can reciprocally learn you on Cl.56 (of which I probably know too much to be healthy).

C6T.

C6T...

Dont allow trepidation to prevent enquiry - we all had to gain knowledge from somewhere, much of what I know came from here - and I lose track of what happened once the numbers became 5 digits instead of the proper 4....you would have thought when they did that someone would have thought of future DCC modelers with 4  digit address systems! 

As for 56s - what are they????

Hee hee

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I may be mistaken I believe the first release of 47256 had 57 high impact windscreens as identified by the rivets around the glass, but my local model shop has one without the rivets, have Bachmann revised the model and corrected any other mistakes? 

Edited by thunderer08

On 1/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, adb968008 said:

Just to finish my afternoon...post-20773-0-14141400-1548004318_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-93056700-1548004325_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-92311600-1548004431_thumb.jpeg

Ex-works Blue 47’s done up for naming ceremonies etc used to look stunning, blue wasnt always drab.

Very nice. I always remove the incorrect rivets around the windscreens when doing these early Bachmann duffs. Also a shame that a manufacturer has ever produced the correct generator style cantrail grilles...but I guess it would be a limited market, only 401-10 being so fitted. 

• Thanks 1

I was really surprised that the 2019 range didn't include a Swallow Liveried version. The last one was Fire Fly (I believe) and even that was a little different as a loco assigned to Royal Train duties. I was really hoping for a Swallow version, and I'm sure there are a lot of people that would be interested in one!

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, richscylla said:

I was really surprised that the 2019 range didn't include a Swallow Liveried version. The last one was Fire Fly (I believe) and even that was a little different as a loco assigned to Royal Train duties. I was really hoping for a Swallow version, and I'm sure there are a lot of people that would be interested in one!

But didn’t 47834 hand around for a while before finally selling out? That might have put Bachmann off producing another one for now. Perhaps they’ll announce one at the same time as Swallow versions of the Mk2f to encourage sales?

• Agree 1

You can find photos of it pulling regular intercity stuff.

I i have one and it’s very nice, but they did hang around - you can still find them about the £120 mark , the “ Windsor castle “ is rarer.

I always think that period falls between the cracks of popularity - lots model contemporary, lots model green and blue / diesels , the bit in between less so I’d think 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, richscylla said:

Was that partly down to the Royal Train nature of it? Perhaps you're right and it's put them off. 

47 834 at Hasland, Chesterfield

I disagree, it went everywhere in its modelled condition. (See above, not my image).

More likely the off put was the Crewe cut nature of its cabs, limiting renumber options. Windsor Castle is widely available, if you dont mind the wrong shade of grey on the bands, the accurate ones are rarer.

47835 Windsor Castle was more regular on Royal Train duties, but OOC / Bath Road 47/8’s were generally well kept in appearances, its the Northern ones that were left to become unkempt.

tbh both have sold out, Fire Fly is more prevalent as its more recent, but both have been on large sucked from the shelves over a couple of years.

47455 is sought after in Large logo blue, as its easy to renumber, generic, as is 47001 in blue.

Swallow livery still has competition from Vitrains 47’s, and the non-exploded Heljan ones.. if you have two already and subsequently bought 47834/5 how many do you really need in one livery, thats not  blue ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

47 834 at Hasland, Chesterfield

I disagree, it went everywhere in its modelled condition. (See above, not my image).

More likely the off put was the Crewe cut nature of its cabs, limiting renumber options. Windsor Castle is widely available, if you dont mind the wrong shade of grey on the bands, the accurate ones are rarer.

47835 Windsor Castle was more regular on Royal Train duties, but OOC / Bath Road 47/8’s were generally well kept in appearances, its the Northern ones that were left to become unkempt.

tbh both have sold out, Fire Fly is more prevalent as its more recent, but both have been on large sucked from the shelves over a couple of years.

47455 is sought after in Large logo blue, as its easy to renumber, generic, as is 47001 in blue.

Swallow livery still has competition from Vitrains 47’s, and the non-exploded Heljan ones.. if you have two already and subsequently bought 47834/5 how many do you really need in one livery, thats not  blue ?

That's really good to know - I thought it was kept more for the royal duties! Thanks very much for the information and the image!

Got fed up waiting for a banger blue 47 for mid to late 80’s, so decided to crack on using 001 to create 004 ‘Monster’ (well it will be once re numbered and wee westie applied). Windscreen surrounds de-riveted, buffer beam red and replica headlight added. Right hand marker LED bend downward, into lightning channel with fibre optics through to Headlight. Left hand marker bent across to the right, so now central to illuminate marker lenses. #1 end markers taken out and flattened as they protruded out the front in a slightly bulbous way. Black rings left to create opaque discs. #2 end markers flattened slightly less to still retain flip up glass lens look. Black surrounds now yellow. Ploughs fitted as per 004 in the 80’s. 

94AB1F27-F124-41AE-BD49-6A4DF7E0BC88.jpeg

258219E2-973E-4716-913D-180E7045F0D9.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 01:00, thunderer08 said:

I may be mistaken I believe the first release of 47256 had 57 high impact windscreens as identified by the rivets around the glass, but my local model shop has one without the rivets, have Bachmann revised the model and corrected any other mistakes? 

Rails currently has 47256 on offer at £79.50 https://railsofsheffield.com/products/27614/Bachmann-31-656-oo-gauge-class-47-47256-br-green-full-yellow-ends-tops-weathered. Ideal if anyone is looking for a 47 for repainting etc. 

Edited by brushman47544
To add quote
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Relatively unpublicised is the arrival of one of the most keenly awaited stealth new releases, namely the ubiquitous GSYP, Serck grille fitted, Stones boiler, Class 47/0, in the shape of D1842.  

Having recently been looking at the stats, this is an example of some 78 similar class members, viz 1101-11, 1837-74, 1948-76, and of these some 68 were prolific Waverley route performers on such traffic as the Bathgate/ Kings Norton cartrains and light commercials, Kingmoor - Millerhill Class 4 freights, up and down 'Waverley' and sleepers,  Millerhill - Heysham Moss/ Oldham, even D1952 on the diverted Sutton Coldfield - Stirling car sleeper.  Reckon I shall be modelling that!  :rolleyes: 

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Relatively unpublicised is the arrival of one of the most keenly awaited stealth new releases, namely the ubiquitous GSYP, Serck grille fitted, Stones boiler, Class 47/0, in the shape of D1842.  

What I don't get is why the equally keenly awaited 47435 in BR blue, with Sercks and dominos isn't included in the latest Class 47 releases. It was announced at the same time, so why not?

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

What I don't get is why the equally keenly awaited 47435 in BR blue, with Sercks and dominos isn't included in the latest Class 47 releases. It was announced at the same time, so why not?

It's a slightly later production/ assembly slot AFAICT, and I know I'm stating the bleeding obvious, like Sybil Fawlty!  I think both of these will prove rapid sellers - question is, do I order a paired-up D1842 and D1670 MAMMOTH from Kernow...?   I must say that in recent years I've become a proper fanboy of the GSYP Big Brush, I put it down to the amount of effort the real things put in between Carlisle and Edinburgh!

• RMweb Gold

Hang on a mo - the boiler port is wrong on the Bachmann picture 

Should be a Stone - Vapour - square grille close to cab roof, main port blanked off as per as built picture in thread above

The Bachmann picture shows the Clayton arrangement - Port close to cab roof blanked off, main port square grille

What is on the actual model please folks?

Phil

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hang on a mo - the boiler port is wrong on the Bachmann picture 

Should be a Stone - Vapour - square grille close to cab roof, main port blanked off as per as built picture in thread above

The Bachmann picture shows the Clayton arrangement - Port close to cab roof blanked off, main port square grille

What is on the actual model please folks?

Phil

Heres the answer...the actual model

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-806-Class-47-0-D1842-BR-Green-Small-Yellow-Panels/153516321877?hash=item23be492c55:g:ngsAAOSwhiJc-Q0H

Clayton not Stones....

Extreme Etchings EEDP47-15 will sort it for you....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m not an expert on class 47 roofs..

but heres D1842/47192 earlier in its life.. (not my picture)

https://railphotoprints.uk/p52123336/h36D2B777#h36d2b777

it doesn't look quite like the model

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-806-Class-47-0-D1842-BR-Green-Small-Yellow-Panels/153516321877?hash=item23be492c55:g:ngsAAOSwhiJc-Q0H

the boiler port rectangular “hole” at the opposite end to the shutters looks to be closer to the cab in the BR picture, but further back on the model.

if ive got it right..

spanner is a circular hole further back of the cab 

stones is a rectangular hole further forwards of the cab

clayton is a rectangular hole further backwards of the cab

i used this post to research it..

That would mean this number is good for:

D1636-D1681, D1901-D1947, D1977-D1999, D1100 depending on the shutters at the other end.

Edited by adb968008