Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Are the NEM pockets on the new new Bachmann 47's still moulded as part of the bogie frames, thus precluding any form of close-coupling, or are they at least pivot mounted on the bogie frames? I know that proper close coupling mechanism (?  la Hornby 31 & 50) is too much to hope for on a Bachmann loco...

Are the NEM pockets on the new new Bachmann 47's still moulded as part of the bogie frames, thus precluding any form of close-coupling, or are they at least pivot mounted on the bogie frames? I know that proper close coupling mechanism (???? la Hornby 31 & 50) is too much to hope for on a Bachmann loco...

I hope they leve things as they are. My Hornby 56 and 60 will pull the first bogie of most things when they go around corners - particularly S bends. Whilst a heavy weight on the first wagon solves the problem, it's still something i'd rather not have to do.

Argh :( I need a body with sealed beam lights at one end for a respray into 47470, but sods law dictates they're only available on limiteds as of yet (47079 and 47461).....might have to spend a bit more cash, or hope they get 47535 wrong :D

Argh :( I need a body with sealed beam lights at one end for a respray into 47470, but sods law dictates they're only available on limiteds as of yet (47079 and 47461).....might have to spend a bit more cash, or hope they get 47535 wrong :D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 470 is flush ended at no.2 end, 079 and 461 are no.1 end.....but 47835 should be the correct body. :D

• RMweb Premium

Do you just need a body, or do you need the chassis to be correct as well? 470 had lost it's boiler tanks by the time it was in blue with large logo style yellow cabs and Highland Rail logo. This rules out 079 which retained these tanks. That just leaves 835, which was the same as 470, but does Bachmann's current tooling cover the long-range tank underframe? I thought not, yet.

• RMweb Premium

Rail's website showing 47461 in stock this morning... looking forward to mine landing in next few days (although still need to lay some track to run on!!)

461 I've ordered mine - hopefully it will arrive here in Portugal before the end of the week. Incidentally, Rails are fitting a Bachmann decoder for me at a very reasonable price as I too find Bachmann's 47s a ****** to get into.

535 I've also had another look at the pre-production pics of 535, because something didn't look right. It's finally dawned on me. On the real thing, the 5s were too big rather than the 3 being smaller... Let's hope the production version is correct.

Images of 47 461 have been added to rails website. Still not syre about the strip widths (like 541)

I'd agree the stripe widths on 541 are a bit out of proportion to each other etc. The white stripe should be thinner in depth, the red stripe a fraction thinner also. I'm also not convinced by the shade of yellow used, although on a previous poster's photos it looks OK. Perhaps the models were produced in more than one batch ? the yellow on my example reminds me of the orangey/yellow Hornby used a few years back ? The livery overall, however, has been well applied. Bachmann must take note of some comments made on web groups ?, straight out of the box, this model runs very quietly/smoothly with no wobble at all (unlike their first 47 versions) with no trace of the gratting gear noises found on many of their 6 axle drive Class 37's ! On checking, the axles/wheel treads are all in perfect alignment, no pivoting on a lower centre axle was found - excellent. Unfortuneately when fitting a decoder, the tank frame on my example almost fell off on it's own, not helped by the very tight fit of the body on the chassis. I suspect one or more of the mounting brackets on the tank frame were perhaps already broken on assembly at the factory ? Finally, why have separate wire cab door handrails, and then fit them FLUSH with the bodyside recesses :angry:

Re 47 461 On first viewing the photos on Rails site, the blue/white stripes looked a bit too far up the bodysides, and possibly a bit thick as per 541, after checking photos of the real loco, they were indeed applied slightly further up than usual, however I still think the model looks wrong in this respect. Nice to see the correct different height brandings, flush No 1 end, and the radio aerials (would have preferred them on 541 also) ;)

• RMweb Gold

This is the most expensive month ever. I usually have about ten items on order but as this can be spread over 2 years its not too bad. However its a bit much at the moment as I have a NCB class 14 and 4 Class 47s that look like arriving in the next week or so, ouch!

I should have known the 47s would all be close but I ordered the Kernow 079 so long ago I cannot remember. It looks it and my Rails, Gaugemaster and Modelzone 47s will all arrive within days of each other.

Unfortunately I feel it will be awhile before Bachmann produces an earlier 47 without the 57 elements. I suspect they will do more modern versions first.

• RMweb Premium

079 is a superb representation of the original. Just don't be tempted to fit the plug-in snow ploughs supplied; they don't belong on 079 but might be handy for another loco in your collection. Also it's nice to find a pack of etches which actually fit over the decals correctly. The RES-livery 474 double-arrow etches are completely the wrong size and unusable for example. 079 also doesn't have orange ETH sockets as per the supplied pack.

Now do I put a few small oil smudges on the white wheel rims or leave a limited edition alone as I normally do?

• RMweb Premium

535 I've also had another look at the pre-production pics of 535, because something didn't look right. It's finally dawned on me. On the real thing, the 5s were too big rather than the 3 being smaller... Let's hope the production version is correct.

I've just seen the review of the Farish N gauge version in Model Rail and that looks correct, so hopefully the OO gauge one will be too.

On a separate issue, has anyone got both of the InterCity liveried LE models 47541 and 47406? Are the colours and strip widths the same - in particular the yellow on the cab fronts and the white and red bodyside lines on the bodysides. Presumably the position of the front spotlight is the same, although those on the real 47406 were more to the right than standard.

If anyone can post a photo of both models alongside each other that would be great.

HI,

Just had confirmation that my 47406 is on its way to Australia, Hope it doesn't get to many signal checks en-route!!!! Just need to save up now for a sound chip, Got a 21 pin chip ready to go, to at least get some use out of it til the sound chip arrives.

Gary in Tassie.

Just received my 3 Bachmann 47461's today, 1 as an investment, 1 to keep as 47461 and 1 to change into 47705. However please take a good look if you have ordered any of these as 2 of mine arrived damaged. The parcel as delivered today was undamaged but the inner plastic packaging of 2 models was badly cracked and broken with the resulting damage of broken/loose handrails. I phoned Rails and they have told me to return the damaged ones but I think I will still keep the less damaged one to turn into 47705 and ask for a refund on the other. Anyway please be aware of a possible damage issue.

Just received my 3 Bachmann 47461's today, 1 as an investment, 1 to keep as 47461 and 1 to change into 47705. However please take a good look if you have ordered any of these as 2 of mine arrived damaged. The parcel as delivered today was undamaged but the inner plastic packaging of 2 models was badly cracked and broken with the resulting damage of broken/loose handrails. I phoned Rails and they have told me to return the damaged ones but I think I will still keep the less damaged one to turn into 47705 and ask for a refund on the other. Anyway please be aware of a possible damage issue.

Thanks for the tip - will now look closely at my 461 when it arrives for any damage. Perhaps you've not noticed, but as for changing a 461 into 47705, although the shell has the correct flush No1 end etc, the roof boiler port being correct for 461, is wrong for 47705 ! but it depends how fussy you want to be ?

That sounds only too familiar. My 47975 arrived the other day. The parcel itself looked fine, but just like in the case mentioned above, the inner plastic packaging was broken and the loco's windscreen was lying in the driver's knee, one windscreen whiper missing and detailing on one boogie broken off. Not the kind of state you would like your brand new ?? 89.90 loco to be in. Anyway, I e-mailed Bachmann that replied that they would forward my complaint to whoever handles the shipping, who in turn would get back to me with instructions. That was two days ago and I've heard nothing from them so far. Since there is no evidence of malhandling during transport, I can only assume that someone at the factory had a bad day. Apparentely I'm not alone, so beware!

Well, on a brighter note, my 406 has just arrived safe & sound. Compliments to Gaugemaster for the excellent packaging in a box 4 times the size of the model, filled with foam & scrunched up brown paper; perhaps not very ecological, but well packaged indeed!