Box to Box (formerly Long Rock)

Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Gold

Most people know me from 4mm, but my background is from the world of N Gauge, and there's still a cupboard full of HSTs and other N Gauge nonsense kicking around in the model room just waiting to be used. So as if I haven't got enough plates spinning, myself and my long suffering modelling sidekick Dave, decided we want to build a ridiculously stupid 2mm exhibition layout and after some input from Paul Churchill, we hit upon the idea of building Long Rock Depot. just before the IETs started arriving. After a quick Google search. it transpires that the layout would need to be 46 feet long, by 2 feet wide, at which point most people would shrink it right down...............oh no, not us....we're going to build the whole 46 feet! We're not stopping there either.........nope, we're also including a provision to take the line on to Penzance with a total length of 65 feet!  :O  :O

The track plan is simple....it's on Google Earth  :laugh:  What isn't quite so simple is the choice of track! In an ideal world, we'd use Finetrax as it's a good alternative to Easitrac, but....no FB points! My soldering skills aren't up to the standard required so neither myself, or Dave can build our own, so as a last resort, we may have to use the dreaded Peco Code 55 track.

Due to other projects and time constraints, it's unlikely we'll start building anything until the Christmas break, but by starting a thread, it'll will spur us on to actually see the project through. Meanwhile, if anyone's got a very large Gazebo, we may need it for TINGS  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 7

Most people know me from 4mm, but my background is from the world of N Gauge, and there's still a cupboard full of HSTs and other N Gauge nonsense kicking around in the model room just waiting to be used. So as if I haven't got enough plates spinning, myself and my long suffering modelling sidekick Dave, decided we want to build a ridiculously stupid 2mm exhibition layout and after some input from Paul Churchill, we hit upon the idea of building Long Rock Depot. just before the IETs started arriving. After a quick Google search. it transpires that the layout would need to be 46 feet long, by 2 feet wide, at which point most people would shrink it right down...............oh no, not us....we're going to build the whole 46 feet! We're not stopping there either.........nope, we're also including a provision to take the line on to Penzance with a total length of 65 feet!  :O  :O

The track plan is simple....it's on Google Earth  :laugh:  What isn't quite so simple is the choice of track! In an ideal world, we'd use Finetrax as it's a good alternative to Easitrac, but....no FB points! My soldering skills aren't up to the standard required so neither myself, or Dave can build our own, so as a last resort, we may have to use the dreaded Peco Code 55 track.

Due to other projects and time constraints, it's unlikely we'll start building anything until the Christmas break, but by starting a thread, it'll will spur us on to actually see the project through. Meanwhile, if anyone's got a very large Gazebo, we may need it for TINGS  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I could have sworn u put my name here somewhere ??  Huh ???   Gotta stop sniffing that Superglue Mike,  its making you imagine things......  Are we mad ?

Now that is a model! I can just see Long rock with Oak road behind it at an exhibition. Just for fun a train departs from Oak Road and arrives at Long Rock. That would be a talking point.......

Keith, looking forward to seeing either layout. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on the new layout plan.  Will be really nice.  With those dimensions - its a good job its N Gauge!

Have you told the Mrs yet?  She's either going to rejoice at being the sole occupier of the TV remote, or ringing the solicitors!    

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium

Surely most of the points are BH in the depot itself, could you not use Finetrax/Easitrac for the main line, get someone to build the limited number of FB points needed, and use Finetrax BH pointwork in the depot?

Either way sounds like a great project, look forward to watching it unfold.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, Dave needs to make some changes to his lifestyle (orders of his Wife) so Long Rock is now out of the question.....but I have another cunning plan!

Having scratched my head for a while trying to come up with something that we can run all of our Western Region stock on, I'm going to build the section of line between Box and Middle Box Tunnels. I've kind of pinched the idea from Hatch End which is effectively a giant roundy roundy for tiny trains without any pointwork whatsoever. This means I'll need to up my game a fair bit with the scenery to keep people interested!

Anyway, here's the plan but don't expect too many updates because I need to get Oak Road done first....

Box to Box 2mm.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is how the scenic section will look (ignore the black lines, they were a guide) - it's about 15" deep and 16' long.

1240135523_Section1.jpg.5bca6669a484b3d7c3cef79722127e97.jpg

The emphasis here is to create the feeling of distance which is almost a scale 0.9 km and should provide a great backdrop for the HSTs. It would be very easy to become bored looking at it, so the scenery needs to be spot on, and will certainly be a challenge dropping down a scale! 

On the plus side, it'll be a doddle to run plenty of trains :lol:

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...