Kernow team up with Revolution for Mendip and GBRf JNA-T wagons in OO

Andy Y

We are pleased to announce that we have teamed up with Revolution Trains to commission the JNA-T EALNOS Box Wagon in VTG Mendip Rail and GBRf livery in OO Gauge.

oo-EAL-005up.jpg

Manufactured by Astra Rail, since their introduction in 2016 they have been used extensively on aggregate and quarry traffic – especially on short flows where the unloading facilities are usually just a siding and an excavator! A total of 503 Ealnos box wagons have been delivered in several batches. These models will be produced to our usual high standards with NEM couplers, RP25 wheelsets and plenty of separately fitted detail. 

Mendip Rail via VTG operates 65 Ealnos box wagons along the Great Western Mainline and across Southern Britain. GB Railfreight is the latest to directly purchase 50 Ealnos wagons, currently these are in service between Whatley Quarry and Wellingborough & Croft Quarry and Cardiff Pengam Siding.  Direct Rail Services has also hired in a rake for use between Barrow Docks and Drigg with class 66/68 traction.

Delivery is expected 2nd Quarter of 2019 as tooling is already complete.  Prices shown are for pre-orders, these special pre-order prices may be withdrawn without warning.

The first production will have four running numbers in each livery.  One of each of these will be fitted with a battery-operated working tail lamp (which is hidden by a false floor) - details of the production run are shown below:

unnamed.jpg

OO-EAL-005ARevolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon VTG Mendip Rail livery £49.99

OO-EAL-005B Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon VTG Mendip Rail livery £49.99
 OO-EAL-005C Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon VTG Mendip Rail livery £49.99
 OO-EAL-005D Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon VTG Mendip Rail livery (with working tail lamp) £57.99
 OO-EAL-005Z Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon VTG Mendip Rail livery Pack of 4 £199.99

OO-EAL-006hp.jpg

OO-EAL-006A Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon GBRf Blue livery £49.99
 OO-EAL-006B Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon GBRf Blue livery £49.99
 OO-EAL-006C Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon GBRf Blue livery £49.99
 OO-EAL-006D Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon GBRf Blue livery (with working tail lamp) £57.99
 OO-EAL-006Z Revolution Trains JNA-T Ealnos Box Wagon GBRf Blue livery Pack of 4 £199.99

unnamed (1).jpg

• Like 4

I don't understand why these are £10 more than the Db MWA's and Tarmac / Plain JNA's, as at £50 a wagon, this is double the price of the Dapol IOA. I am after some MRL JNA's to suuplement my order of Dapol JHA's but I cant justify £50

Regards

Darryl

• Like 1

I don't understand why these are £10 more than the Db MWA's and Tarmac / Plain JNA's, as at £50 a wagon, this is double the price of the Dapol IOA. I am after some MRL JNA's to suuplement my order of Dapol JHA's but I cant justify £50

Regards

Darryl

I agree and to do a decent minimal rake of 8 wagons will set you back £400 or more, £600 or more if you want to do 12 which is eye watering thus I'll be giving this a miss...but they are nice wagons.

I'm sure we'll get enlightened as to why it's justified to charge £50 for 1 box wagon.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree and to do a decent minimal rake of 8 wagons will set you back £400 or more, £600 or more if you want to do 12 which is eye watering thus I'll be giving this a miss...but they are nice wagons.

I'm sure we'll get enlightened as to why it's justified to charge £50 for 1 box wagon.

I wonder if it’s down to Kernow having to sort out permissions for the livery and name use etc, rather than Revolution?

I wonder if it’s down to Kernow having to sort out permissions for the livery and name use etc, rather than Revolution?

Yes I was thinking there would be something in there for Kernow to add more on top of the basic price that Revolution are offering on their webiste but at £13 more per wagon???...that's a fair hike.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I was thinking there would be something in there for Kernow to add more on top of the basic price that Revolution are offering on their webiste but at £13 more per wagon???...that's a fair hike.

Very true. For the cost of 8 GBRf ones I’ve been able to get a rake of 8 DB and have a good wedge left over. May need to save some pennies over the coming months

Very true. For the cost of 8 GBRf ones I’ve been able to get a rake of 8 DB and have a good wedge left over. May need to save some pennies over the coming months

Yeah I'll get a rake of 8 DB's as well and maybe in future think about the Kernow variants if they come up in a sale or a reduced cost package of some sort.

I don't understand why these are £10 more than the Db MWA's and Tarmac / Plain JNA's

If you read the announcement in the Revolution section you would see the following sentence:

To encourage early orders Revolution is offering an early-bird price that will increase after six weeks

Yes, but only from £37.50 to £41, so still far cheaper than the £50 Kernow ones. Thankfully it's the DB Livery I'm after.

I have to admit I am too a little bit puzzled and disappointed by the price hike. Unfortunately I could do with a few of the GBRf versions, however at Kernows price they'll remain fairly low down on my list for now (And I'm normally an advocate of Kernow!). 

• RMweb Premium

Prices shown are for pre-orders, these special pre-order prices may be withdrawn without warning.

but that is for the Revolution DB MWA's & Tarmac JNA's not the Kernow GBRf & MRL JNA's

According to the first post as copied above, it suggests that these £50 & £58 Kernow prices are also Early Bird pre-order prices which could rise.

• RMweb Premium

Ouch. Glad it's the DB livery I'm after. Went to order today but I'm confused as all 4 are showing the same price (£37.50) so either there is no Tail Lamp version or if there is, there is no additional mark-up on it.

I've posed the question on the Revolution thread. Don't want to order 4 of each running number, A, B, C & D and end up with 4 tail lamps!

Ouch. Glad it's the DB livery I'm after. Went to order today but I'm confused as all 4 are showing the same price (£37.50) so either there is no Tail Lamp version or if there is, there is no additional mark-up on it.

I've posed the question on the Revolution thread. Don't want to order 4 of each running number, A, B, C & D and end up with 4 tail lamps!

Yes ouch but also a shame on the pricing from Kernow otherwise I would have considered them and to do a decent rake (8 minimum) would cost quite a lot & at the end of the day they are just box wagons.

Btw saw your post about the variations and think the other person is correct that D is the one with the tail lamp but agree Revolution need to make their web page a bit clearer on which is which, also I'm not particularly happy about their postage costs which are high and obviously isn't free unlike another player in the market that does offer free delivery with their wagons no matter how many you order...as they say it's little things that also matter.

Edit: Actually the DB's are all the same price (A-D) thus not entirely sure whether D has the tail lamp or not?

Edited by classy52

Its as per my earlier comments on the Cargowaggon.  KMRC will want to add their full "margin" to the models.  Their exclusives are never cheap - I suppose the argument of risk v. reward is a possible argument, its also in line with the RRP of Bachmann Products, they have a business to run etc.,whether its that, greed or any other is for the individual modeller to decide.  Likewise people have to decide whether to purchase them or not - its a choice we have.  If they don't sell then price is too high, if they do, it paid off!  Like I said with the Cargowaggon - Revolution would have sold a good quantity more in than KMRC, and that is simple price v. quantity economics.  But I'm sure all parties have their reasons.

On a general note - I think its good that people are starting to look at the cost of things, instead of just saying, I will have "X" and "Y".  It should be food for thought, for all manufacturers/suppliers that price is getting an ever important consideration for modellers, and each product needs to be compete, within the market place, not just be made up of what they think they can get away with selling it for, because its an "exclusive".  Nothing lasts forever.........

Regards,

• RMweb Premium

I'm not particularly happy about their postage costs which are high and obviously isn't free

I'll happily pay the postage this time after struggling home on the train with 22 TEA wagons that I thought would be fun to collect at Warley.

Won't be making that mistake again!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Revolution need to make their web page a bit clearer on which is which, also I'm not particularly happy about their postage costs which are high and obviously isn't free unlike another player in the market that does offer free delivery with their wagons no matter how many you order...as they say it's little things that also matter.

Edit: Actually the DB's are all the same price (A-D) thus not entirely sure whether D has the tail lamp or not?

Hi all,

Apologies if the Revolution website isn't clear. The more expensive ones are those with the tail light, of course.

In terms of postage, do you honestly think you don't get charged by those who offer free postage? They just factor it into the model price. TBH we have undercharged with postage previously, so it is now a realistic level.

As to the cost of these models, there are six moulds and each has around 70 parts. I believe very few (if any) of those who actually handled the models at Warley complained about the price when they'd seen the quality close up.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi all,

Apologies if the Revolution website isn't clear. The more expensive ones are those with the tail light, of course.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, that is the problem, the website only states once price for all models so it isn't clear which is fitted with a tail lamp (if any)

Regards

Darryl

Hi all,

In terms of postage, do you honestly think you don't get charged by those who offer free postage? They just factor it into the model price. TBH we have undercharged with postage previously, so it is now a realistic level.

As to the cost of these models, there are six moulds and each has around 70 parts. I believe very few (if any) of those who actually handled the models at Warley complained about the price when they'd seen the quality close up.

Cheers

Ben A.

On the Revolution web page they are all the same price @£37.50 thus you may need to check that out to differentiate the one that has the tail lamp and apply the correct price to it.

On the other stuff I was just making an observation as a potential customer with this being a forum after all or do you just like to hear the fluffy happy bits?

Anyway £6.50 delivery for 1 wagon and it keeps rising for every subsequent wagon is a bit steep IMO and I'm not sure whether using the people at Warley not mentioning or complaining about the wagon price is a good indicator of what they actually think especially when they get home and add up the cost of a decent rake.