Heljan class 26

kintbury jon

Have realised (after looking at my 1990 train book!) that the only class of diesel that I do not have is a 26. Not surprising really as I live in the south but I do remember seeing a few whilst on holidays and the odd open day.

I've taken an interest in the old railfreight livery (perhaps as it's not a livery that featured on 33's). There appear to be 4 produced in this livery, all with the same fault in that the red solebar stripe has been left black (though an easy fix). From looking at Hatton's website the only differences I can see is that 26025 has a small terrier on the side, 26032 and 041 have a big one, and 26037 has no dog!

They are all priced reasonably, and whilst i'd be happy to get a 2nd hand one, at that price it's probably worth a punt. Are there any other differences in the 4 models other than the terriers above?

Thanks.

The cantrail stripe is a different colour between models, some have a white stripe and some have an orange one (both the 26s for Kirkhill are at Glenn's at the moment and I can't remember which is which). Apart from that and the dogs, as you've said, I think that's about it.

Oh one other little thing, the data panel position as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Illustrious37

The railfreight redstripe Class 26's also seemed to have slight differences in where the yellow wraparound finished on the cab/bodysides. This seems to have been faithfully recreated on the models. You have to look carefully but some finish before the inner door handrail and some after.

David

Must admit, i'd have never noticed this but there were very few occasions when I saw a 26.

I managed to get a cheap blue one with a burnt out motor. It looks quite nice (i've swapped the body on to a 33 until I sort the chassis out) on a rake of mark 1's. Would still like a railfreight one so hoping someone wants to swap!

I have 041 in my fleet and very pleased with it. Can anyone think of anything else to put behind a Railfreight 26 other than coal wagons?? I was wandering if they ever worked nuclear flask trains??

Hi

Class 26's sometimes worked the nukes from Hunterston on the Clyde coast the loading point

is at Fairlie on the Largs branch i dont have a pic myself but iam sure have seen it in a

book or something maybe Rail magazine from late 1980's early 1990's

Jon, I have 025 and have painted the sole bar in red (stupidly I used gloss instead of matt but will tone it down with some weathering when time allows). It's a shame the Cromptons never received that livery. Quite fancy getting a coal sector 26/0 when the Danes release the next batch.

Davebem, you could get away with the 26 hauling most air-braked freight consists from the mid-late 80's. Not sure if the Railfreight machines were dual braked though. I've seen plenty of images of them on coal, fuels and mixed speedlinks.

I wonder if the tooling will be amended to suit the high intensity headlight versions at some point?

Davebem, you could get away with the 26 hauling most air-braked freight consists from the mid-late 80's. Not sure if the Railfreight machines were dual braked though. I've seen plenty of images of them on coal, fuels and mixed speedlinks.

I wonder if the tooling will be amended to suit the high intensity headlight versions at some point?

The reason why the later models by Heljan haven't got the boiler water tanks is because the air brake equipment is there instead. Just in case you weren't sure whether they kept their vacuum brakes as well the answer is yes, so they were dual braked.

Regarding the high intensity headlights I presume you mean the square ones from the late 1980s onwards. Should be quite an easy job to add one of these to the front (Shawplan supply plastic ones and A1 models have brass ones) - I don't think any other changes were made.

The reason why the later models by Heljan haven't got the boiler water tanks is because the air brake equipment is there instead. Just in case you weren't sure whether they kept their vacuum brakes as well the answer is yes, so they were dual braked.

Regarding the high intensity headlights I presume you mean the square ones from the late 1980s onwards. Should be quite an easy job to add one of these to the front (Shawplan supply plastic ones and A1 models have brass ones) - I don't think any other changes were made.

Thanks Flood, at least I can run old vacuum stock with my 26 now!

Yes the square spotlight - I omitted to think about the old twin headlamp style fitted for the Highlands! Not too bothered about retro fitting an extra light as I want to keep my stock more focussed on mid to late 1980's - just thought it could be an interesting variation for the 26 for Heljan to look at especially as they did for the 33. Having said that, the 33 was worth doing due to greater variations in liveries and numbers since the headlights were fitted.

Just on the subject of 26 liveries, am I right with the following list?

All green

Green SYP

Green FYE

Blue FYE, variations with yellow around cab windows and door

Railfreight grey (with red sole bar)

Coal Sector

Dutch

Heritage Green

Any more or is that it? Did any get outshopped in blue with SYP or two tone green? Can't think of any other privatised liveries as I suppose they ceased mainline operations by 1994?

Thanks

I have gone for 032 with big scotty dogs. Hattons seemed to have sold out of 041 but there seems little difference between the two of them. I have a tin of railfreight red to use on the sides. Doesn't look like too tricky a job.

That,s you sorted for a class 26/1 then,time to select your Heljan 26/0 now :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Here are 3 I've got so far, will be adding a 26/0 or 2 when they appear. The blue ones are standard Heljan one's that have been renumbered & weathered, 26025 is also standard but has had the solebar painted and has been lightly weathered.

post-5311-127464276243_thumb.jpg

post-5311-12746427932_thumb.jpg

post-5311-127464282596_thumb.jpg

I've painted the red solebar of 032 and it's different to the buffer beams. I used Railmatch 'Rail Red'. Should there be a difference or do I need to repaint the red buffer beams Rail Red too?

Sorry not to reply earlier.

I painted the solebar and buffer beam the same colour, I wouldn't have thought B.R. would have used two different pigments of red.

Archived