Heljan class 26

kintbury jon

• RMweb Premium

Thats a good idea above, I plan to do the same to my fleet.

92912, Id like to know what shade of red you used please??

Hi,

I used Halfords grey primer, then Humbrol hobby spray acrylic aerosol, Red 19. Its not a perfect match but its not far off.

HTH JP

Guest Max Stafford

John, that's a good modification and one I use myself. If you are modelling D5301 in original condition, she should be fitted with transverse leaf springs in that position rather than coils. I think these only appeared on 5300-19 when selectively reworked in the '80s.

Dave.

John, that's a good modification and one I use myself. If you are modelling D5301 in original condition, she should be fitted with transverse leaf springs in that position rather than coils. I think these only appeared on 5300-19 when selectively reworked in the '80s.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

D5301 did as new, modelling it as preserved.

I know there are alot of inaccuracy with the body shell that's available as it's not suitable for the 1st 14 of the class.

I'm modelling D5314 also as preserved which has the leaf springs, will be doing this modifcation when I get back down to the railway for measurments.

post-1052-127581687019_thumb.jpg

Roy

I assume that's 26035 behind '14, Roy?

I popped in to Brechin last Monday and spent some time absorbing the aura given off by these two Waverley Route stalwarts.

Highland Baby Sulzers - essence!!! cool.gif

I assume that's 26035 behind '14, Roy?

I popped in to Brechin last Monday and spent some time absorbing the aura given off by these two Waverley Route stalwarts.

Highland Baby Sulzers - essence!!! cool.gif

Yes that's the long time static exibit known as 26035, don't think it's run for over 20 years due to bogie problems, there are three spare bogies at the railway, but everything takes time.

She's great! I take it she's unsheeted for the summer, I dread to think the toll Angus' winters take otherwise blink.gif

D5335 is an ex Moray Coast engine, early into BFYE, and put in a lot of mileage over the Waverley in that livery between May and December '68.

Reminder to self: I must go to more gigs in Aberdeen (even if it's not an easy out'n'back from Brum!) wink.gif

Sadly she isn't sheeted at all, but neither are any of the locos at the railway, not a bad idea to help protect them.

It's amazing the improvment made by the replacment of the leaf springs made, I been on both 14 & 01 the wobble is noticable less with the coil springs.

• 1 month later...

Bogie mod is a must....you have jumped into a minefield though! Check the cantrail grilles. The pilot scheme locos were different, more of them. Also they originally had transverse leaf springs where the coil springs are on the later version's bogies. Some kept them others were changed for newer bogies on locos as others were retired.....I will wait for Heljan to do a pliot scheme 26 I reckon!

I've been wondering about the pilot scheme locos. Arent they supposed to have come out from Heljan some time ago? Seems to be a very long wait.

They ARE coming according to Howes and Heljan chaps. The coal sector ones will be very popular in these parts.....! Probably year end? They have been rather overwhelmed with distractions/Olivias silliness. There is another batch of 47s coming too and the spares situation will come good too.

Oh please, don't tell me this. By rights (and by this I mean a very carefully calculated loco roster), I should be running four 64B 26/0s. I had nearly convinced myself that the forthcoming promised GSYP Highland Baby Sulzer (D5338?) could satisfy my prurience and quest for balance, but it seems not. Oh dear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
I had nearly convinced myself that the forthcoming promised GSYP Highland Baby Sulzer (D5338?) could satisfy my prurience and quest for balance, but it seems not. Oh dear.
sorry to be slow in catching up, but I think thats fair do's the inverness 24's put work in so on a roster of 4 locos that would be one of each Inverness 24 & 26 and 2 'native' 26s that would give balance, the pilot scheme locos would appear twice as often as the Inverness ones, 26's and headcode 24's with headlights were dead certs at Hawick tho'

The 26/0's are now available. Hattons showing all liveries in stock, but no photos of the models - yet. A tad pricey @ £79 each ? Some time back their pre-order price was £64.50 ?? Hopefully the models feature the correct bogie/springs/steps/buffers etc and HI headlights ?

I hope you are right about the correct spring detail, as Heljan have made it easy for themselves by having separate bogie side mouldings, as well as separate underframe details, in the first place.

I had hoped to see a Hi Intensity headlight on this model of 26 001 'Eastfield' - but it doesn't look like it's there from the angles of the photos on retailer's sites - is this correct? I'm sure the real thing had one (unless it's a separately applied non-working part of course...)

The 26/0's are now available. Hattons showing all liveries in stock, but no photos of the models - yet. A tad pricey @ £79 each ? Some time back their pre-order price was £64.50 ??

Pricey? A quick Google suggests most box shifters will be in the £79-something region. Hattons variable pricing has been discussed before, if anyone has managed to reserve one at that price I'd say they've got a very good deal

Hopefully the models feature the correct bogie/springs/steps/buffers etc and HI headlights ?

A note before anybody gets carried away with this, all-coil springs and round buffers are AFAIK correct for many of the refurbed 26/0s which acquired replacement parts (presumably) from withdrawn examples. On that score it makes sense for HJ to start with these variants; personally I'd be more bothered if the pre-refurb variants (when they come) didnt show these differences (but it wouldnt be the end of the world).

For those wanting to backdate their new model, some shots of the preserved, and backdated (to some extent) D5310 when it was at Bo'ness at:

http://devorgilla.fotopic.net/c1775059.html

The real 26 004, owned by 6LDA, is awaiting its second restoration at the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway.  Unfortunately the 6LDA website is pretty much out of commission at the moment, so I can't direct those who wish to help its restoration there.  If anybody does want to help then please PM me.  The group's other engine, 26 024, is operational and should be running at the SRPS diesel gala on 28 and 29 August.  See SRPS diesel group website for more details when available:

http://www.srpsdiesel.com/

Cheers,

26power

Well, it looks like bad news regarding the bogie details. The pics on Kernow's website (go to the newsletter) show coil springs on all the early-numbered 26s.

Gutted looks like I'll have to measure up the leaf spring examples in Brechin when I'm next working on 37097, when that is I don't know too busy. :(

Then scratch build them.

Roy

Archived