Heljan class 26

kintbury jon

Actually, I think they are accurate. If you look at photos of D5301 today, it has those bogies under it so in its semi preserved guise as Eastfield it is correct. As the early locos had their bogies changed later in life, I would say wait and see if they do it right for an early liveried one.

Mind you, all they have probably done is stuck a revised body moulding onto a standard chassis. They probably won't, but it would surely be an easy alteration for Heljan to make a new tooling for the bogie sides as they are small clip fit pieces?

Here's a few guidelines to bogie details and times.

26010 1985 leaf springs

http://airthrey-park.fotopic.net/p49223223.html

26011 same year coils? But blue

http://airthrey-park.fotopic.net/p43829130.html

26003 and 005 1993 both with coils

http://airthrey-park.fotopic.net/p49328316.html

Reckon that one would just need to be careful.........and research

Wiston Works

Just got the Railfreight red stripe model of 26006. Overall Heljan have done a nice job. As usual tho' Heljan's diagram for buffer beam air brakes etc not very clear.

Also there is a part (number 11) on one of the sprues which looks like a comms type pod that looks like it belongs on a class 33.

Looking at various prototype images has not shed light on this.

Any ideas?

A note before anybody gets carried away with this, all-coil springs and round buffers are AFAIK correct for many of the refurbed 26/0s which acquired replacement parts (presumably) from withdrawn examples. On that score it makes sense for HJ to start with these variants; personally I'd be more bothered if the pre-refurb variants (when they come) didnt show these differences (but it wouldnt be the end of the world).

Received from Heljan (Howes) a couple of days ago..................

There are no plans at present to produce the D53xx (26/0) in 'as-built' condition. The model that is shortly to be released depicts the class in the last years of their lives. The model has a new body but utilises the existing class 26 chassis.

Regards,

Heljan UK

Received from Heljan (Howes) a couple of days ago..................

There are no plans at present to produce the D53xx (26/0) in 'as-built' condition. The model that is shortly to be released depicts the class in the last years of their lives. The model has a new body but utilises the existing class 26 chassis.

Regards,

Heljan UK

Interesting, thanks for that. To be fair, it's only been assumed that the 'as built' version would follow.

Challenge to someone to come up with a small whitemetal casting for the leaf springs then?

As it is we cut off the springs from all Heljan 26/27s and reposition them deeper on the side frame behind the main cross beam as per prototype and not under it as moulded.

This shows the mod reasonably well.....

http://airthrey-park.../p64900125.html

Would be nice to do one of the ones that never got cast off bits from other 26/1s or 27s?!

WW

Just to clear the air slightly, when I posted about "bad news" regarding the lack of leaf springs, I did not mean to imply they were incorrect, because I know about the rebogie-ing (if there is such a word!) that occurred with the early batch at various times in their lives. It is still disappointing for those who wanted the early ones in original condition.

Personally, I rather like the Railfreight red stripe version, regardless of whether they had leaf or coil springs! That livery really suited the 26s (IMHO).

In fairness, the bogies aren't really that big a deal for me, despite planning possibly four such 64B machines in the 5300-18 range. The leaf spring mod doesn't phase me at all; once committed to the necessary tweak on the existing bogie it's basically a matter of fettling a new part to put back.

The real PsITA here are that the bodyshell appears to have been modded to reflect 1980s 26/0s, at a stroke making them unsuitable for as-built condition locos and likewise the air-compressor fitted underframe would need to be retro-packed with boiler water tanks etc. from the spares pool.

Ho and also hum, D5332 will be joining the fleet anyway, all being well. Once I've seen the /0 in the flesh and decided what level of surgery's needed it will hinge on how heavily discounted Hattons et al make them twelve months down the line.

Once I've seen the /0 in the flesh and decided what level of surgery's needed it will hinge on how heavily discounted Hattons et al make them twelve months down the line.

Much my thinking, and by that time the Danes might have decided if it's worth doing one themselves.

Once I've seen the /0 in the flesh and decided what level of surgery's needed it will hinge on how heavily discounted Hattons et al make them twelve months down the line.

Taken from Modelfair-

Just arrived from Heljan, The class 26/0 Bo-Bo Diesel Locomotive late variant, all new tooling with extra detail modelling the class towards the later end of their careers. In a range of liveries including, Coal sector, Red stripe large logo Railfreight grey, BR Blue , Engineers grey and yellow and Heritage green, I understand from Heljan that these models while not limited editions have been produced in small quantities, so if you need one be quick.

Might not be cheap after all!

Urgent advice needed. I have to fit the detail sprues to D5301 Eastfield by tomorrow morning. The instructions aren't much help and our diesel expert is on hols. My reference books are in store so i'm flying blind.

I'm assuming the front end is modified and DOES NOT have the headcode discs? Am I right? The model has no holes for the pins on the discs supplied.

How does the snowplough fit? It's not mentioned in the instructions.

I have to have the model ready for photos tomorrow (THursday 19/8/10)

CHRIS LEIGH

Pins moulded onto the ploughs fit into holes on the inside/underside of bufferbeam Chris. (I wasn't smart enough to note this and used brass wire at the time)

Photos, such as http://christhorp.fotopic.net/p65557535.html suggest discs were restored to the loco on repaint.

Hj would appear then to have a single mould for the late-shape 26/0 without disc plug-holes, understandable.

Urgent advice needed. I have to fit the detail sprues to D5301 Eastfield by tomorrow morning. The instructions aren't much help and our diesel expert is on hols. My reference books are in store so i'm flying blind.

I'm assuming the front end is modified and DOES NOT have the headcode discs? Am I right? The model has no holes for the pins on the discs supplied.

How does the snowplough fit? It's not mentioned in the instructions.

I have to have the model ready for photos tomorrow (THursday 19/8/10)

CHRIS LEIGH

Hello Chris

Firstly, D5301 "Eastfield" in BR Green was not fitted with snowploughs, being used along with D5300 mainly in the summer months on Inverness-Kyle specials. Headcode discs were retro fitted when re-painted back into BR Green, although it's unlikely the original centre top/bottom marker lights were reinstalled ? - the HC discs just being fitted over/on their original positions. A square High Intensity headlight was fitted at both ends. Radio pods were also present on the cab roofs, being fitted at some point previous to the BR Green repaint. On the model, as there are no holes for the HC discs, cut the pins off and perhaps fit with small pieces of blue-tack ?

Photo below may be of help

Regards

Ken

post-2215-128218041622_thumb.jpg

Just got the Railfreight red stripe model of 26006. Overall Heljan have done a nice job. As usual tho' Heljan's diagram for buffer beam air brakes etc not very clear.

Also there is a part (number 11) on one of the sprues which looks like a comms type pod that looks like it belongs on a class 33.

Looking at various prototype images has not shed light on this.

Any ideas?

We are digging around to try and find some roof shots here. The pod that comes might be OK but think it might not have the curved section to the rear? We will see. Alternative is to fit a brass one ex A1 or Shawplan.

As we run all 3 link/screw link the lovely scale hooks will have to be junked for a more practical Smiths Screw link. Overall I am very happy with the look. Reckon 004 006 008 would all be OK to spin off this for our 1993 fleet. Beware that only 008 has the snow panel on the horn grille.

Wiston Works

I just checked, I still have a few scrap Hornby Hymek bogies which have a similar spring arrangement cool.gif

Genius! Our man who has a scrap tray at the local toy fair will doubt come up with the goods!

Re transverse springs for 26/0 see attached image of first attempt. Using 3 x Cambrian springs (cut down) and a bit of plastic rod. The steps are just cut and Butanol'ed back together. Hope this is useful to somebody, kev.

post-8271-128224399961_thumb.jpg

Re transverse springs for 26/0 see attached image of first attempt. Using 3 x Cambrian springs (cut down) and a bit of plastic rod. The steps are just cut and Butanol'ed back together. Hope this is useful to somebody, kev.

Good work Kev......!

Other potential pitfalls might be..... MW jumpers.

Correct as modelled by Heljan on 26004. If you renumber loco for one of the other late coal survivors e.g 006 MW jumper is on body as per earlier Heljan 26s.

http://britishrailwa.../p63150088.html

with the more modern square aerial grounding plates and no snow shield on the horn grille

OR

26008 again body mounted MW jumper

http://paulbartletts.../p65097778.html

BUT with snow grille and old style round small aerial plate as this was an Inverness loco earlier in it's life and had gained these niceities already before refurb....

We have been warned!

Weathering could be fun too!! These locos went under coal loaders several times per day and then sat in Scottish rain and had zebra stripes added!

S

Archived