The sound of wheels scraping on rails

B R D

I've almost finished layout the track for the station throat.  It is very loosely based on the southern end of Leicester Central station (GCR of course).

In the hope of creating a degree of realism, I wondered whether any has produced a means of detecting when a train is going through the throat and creating the sound of the wheels grinding against the rails - I hope you know the noise I mean.

I'm in OO on Peco code 75, using DCC (or will be shortly).  My only two locos have got sound chips (D11s) so they will chuff (I hope), but it's that sound of the rails that I'd like - to bring life to the scene.

Any thoughts please?

That will be flange squeal - comes on a function on many diesel DCC sound files, is it not on steam files too?

Phil

That sounds like something from Michael Bentine c1950s

If you want it automated then detection of motor scale power draw on the relevant track section(s), triggering replay of a selection of Ying!*, Crang!* Groink!* Eeeek!* sounds from a fixed speaker would be one way.

*Other characterisations of the noises are available.

Yes that sounds like something I was thinking of.  The question is, has anybody done it or suggestions on how to achieve it?

• RMweb Gold

That sounds like something from Michael Bentine c1950s

Yes that sounds like something I was thinking of.  The question is, has anybody done it or suggestions on how to achieve it?

True....but true.....

Phil

• RMweb Premium

The most successful flange squeal sound I've ever come across came from the skate on stud contact pickup locos traversing the panel pins used as the studs.... Spot on!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

My Mainline 57xx mechanism made a very convincing approximation of flange squeal, at a realistic 12 inch to the foot scale volume, for several seconds before it stopped working permanently; the leading axle had worn through the left hand chassis block and the noise was the edge of the block gouging the axle to death.  Realistic, but not recommended!

This is one of the noises that I am capable of playing in my head during operating sessions, along with the groan of track flexing beneath the weight of trains.  Wouldn't mind someone marketing the correct fragrances, though; steam, oil, smoke, hotboxes and so on.  I think the squeeze might draw the line at this in her bedroom, where the railway lives, though...